IGNORED

Danny Simpson

pl00peh91

6 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Bit in bold was my thoughts exactly. Not sure what everyone sees in Pearson's answers but he was specifically asked about the Women's Aid issue, and then went off on a rambling (3 and a half minute) answer about second chances, difficult decisions and having your character questioned. He didn't once mention the specific topic of domestic violence, nor Women's Aid, nor the Club's position.

My view remains that Simpson shouldn't be barred from signing for us nor any other club. He committed a crime, was tried, found guilty, and served the sentence that was ultimately deemed appropriate by the courts. He should have a "second chance" but also, as Pearson said, has to "live with it". 

But his signing has caused an issue and the club should have addressed it directly, especially once a national charity publicly dropped us from their merchandise and effectively called the club out on the matter.

How ironic that the club is putting its head in the sand...

6 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Bit in bold was my thoughts exactly. Not sure what everyone sees in Pearson's answers but he was specifically asked about the Women's Aid issue, and then went off on a rambling (3 and a half minute) answer about second chances, difficult decisions and having your character questioned. He didn't once mention the specific topic of domestic violence, nor Women's Aid, nor the Club's position.

My view remains that Simpson shouldn't be barred from signing for us nor any other club. He committed a crime, was tried, found guilty, and served the sentence that was ultimately deemed appropriate by the courts. He should have a "second chance" but also, as Pearson said, has to "live with it". 

But his signing has caused an issue and the club should have addressed it directly, especially once a national charity publicly dropped us from their merchandise and effectively called the club out on the matter.

Am I right in thinking that it was only us and Exeter City that were actually fully signed up to this Charity before they dumped us? Meaning 90 clubs in the pyramid didn't bother? Or did I read that incorrectly? And tell the ******* truth..........how many of the most angelic, pious, perfect bastards on here who have never made a mistake in ANY sphere of their lives (this has nothing to do with my views on domestic violence by the way, it's just the same posters who appear when any type of crime is committed) had even truthfully HEARD OF THIS NATIONAL CHARITY before it dumped us?

For those of you that are aware of this charity how many of you were also aware we had signed up to it because, astoundingly, nobody thought to mention it on the Politics forum in the woman abuse topic before they piped up to tell us we were dumped. I don't recall one of you stating how hypocritical it would be "to sign Danny Simpson and be signed up to the Woman's Aid charity?" when giving your reasons for not signing him BECAUSE, TELL THE TRUTH, YOU DIDN'T EVEN KNOW WE WERE SIGNED UP TO IT, simple as that, and yet you have no shame in telling us how much you care and how principled you are compared to every other neanderthal on here about the plight of women. 20/20 hindsight as usual................

Pearson could have said a little bit more and specifically mentioned domestic violence in his response but it his not his responsibility to outline the club position and the issue with the charity in particular - it's the club that signs up to the Charity not the first team manager. It wasn't the answer you wanted to hear so de facto it's a shit answer.

Mark Ashton should be doing any interview or making any statement on behalf of the CLUB but, as always without fail when there is a mini-shitstorm going down, he's ******* AWOL again and waiting for it all to blow over before offering passing comment months after the event!!

7 hours ago, reddoh said:

the rules of the country says everybody gets a second chance I am not in charge of the Country So my views are irrelevant.

Well that’s a rather depressing way to live your life. Positive change can happen if you stand up to things you believe in. I’m sorry you feel the way you do. 

For me, saying he deserves a 2nd chance is missing the point somewhat. I completely agree that everyone deserves a 2nd chance, even those who have committed the most serious of crimes, however you have to show you deserve that chance by owning up to the mistakes you made and implementing changes in your life to ensure they don’t happen again. Maybe Simpson has done those things in private but his actions publicly were to plead not guilty (showing he believes he did nothing wrong at the time), and then refusing to serve his punishment given by the court  (he completed less than half of his 300 hrs community service). Many on here have argued he doesn’t need to prove anything to the likes of me, but I would say that if he wants a role in the public eye, where he is seen as a role model to young lads, he has to address what’s happened. 

The club also needs to come out with more of a statement than ‘everyone deserves a 2nd chance’. As that reads as, anything goes as long as you’re good at football. What is the club doing to educate players on their role in the local community and what actions are they taking to ensure more of our academy players don’t follow the actions of Sesay. A player who committed awful crimes while under our care. 

27 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

Well that’s a rather depressing way to live your life. Positive change can happen if you stand up to things you believe in. I’m sorry you feel the way you do. 

For me, saying he deserves a 2nd chance is missing the point somewhat. I completely agree that everyone deserves a 2nd chance, even those who have committed the most serious of crimes, however you have to show you deserve that chance by owning up to the mistakes you made and implementing changes in your life to ensure they don’t happen again. Maybe Simpson has done those things in private but his actions publicly were to plead not guilty (showing he believes he did nothing wrong at the time), and then refusing to serve his punishment given by the court  (he completed less than half of his 300 hrs community service). Many on here have argued he doesn’t need to prove anything to the likes of me, but I would say that if he wants a role in the public eye, where he is seen as a role model to young lads, he has to address what’s happened. 

The club also needs to come out with more of a statement than ‘everyone deserves a 2nd chance’. As that reads as, anything goes as long as you’re good at football. What is the club doing to educate players on their role in the local community and what actions are they taking to ensure more of our academy players don’t follow the actions of Sesay. A player who committed awful crimes while under our care. 

Are you honestly holding the club responsible for that fact we had a complete and utter piece of shit on board who was a predatory rapist? I do agree that there should be general education given to players by the club (and I'm sure they do but don't publicise it in reality) but are you seriously saying a lecture in how to treat women would have made a shred of difference to that filthy ***?

33 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

That's quite a leap you've made there.

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

Am I right in thinking that it was only us and Exeter City that were actually fully signed up to this Charity before they dumped us? Meaning 90 clubs in the pyramid didn't bother? Or did I read that incorrectly? And tell the ******* truth..........how many of the most angelic, pious, perfect bastards on here who have never made a mistake in ANY sphere of their lives (this has nothing to do with my views on domestic violence by the way, it's just the same posters who appear when any type of crime is committed) had even truthfully HEARD OF THIS NATIONAL CHARITY before it dumped us?

For those of you that are aware of this charity how many of you were also aware we had signed up to it because, astoundingly, nobody thought to mention it on the Politics forum in the woman abuse topic before they piped up to tell us we were dumped. I don't recall one of you stating how hypocritical it would be "to sign Danny Simpson and be signed up to the Woman's Aid charity?" when giving your reasons for not signing him BECAUSE, TELL THE TRUTH, YOU DIDN'T EVEN KNOW WE WERE SIGNED UP TO IT, simple as that, and yet you have no shame in telling us how much you care and how principled you are compared to every other neanderthal on here about the plight of women. 20/20 hindsight as usual................

Pearson could have said a little bit more and specifically mentioned domestic violence in his response but it his not his responsibility to outline the club position and the issue with the charity in particular - it's the club that signs up to the Charity not the first team manager. It wasn't the answer you wanted to hear so de facto it's a shit answer.

Mark Ashton should be doing any interview or making any statement on behalf of the CLUB but, as always without fail when there is a mini-shitstorm going down, he's ******* AWOL again and waiting for it all to blow over before offering passing comment months after the event!!

I had heard of them. I wasn't aware they were partnered with City, but I'm not surprised they dumped us.

5 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Are you honestly holding the club responsible for that fact we had a complete and utter piece of shit on board who was a predatory rapist? I do agree that there should be general education given to players by the club (and I'm sure they do but don't publicise it in reality) but are you seriously saying a lecture in how to treat women would have made a shred of difference to that filthy ***?

Well you can’t pretend it didn’t happen 

On 29/03/2021 at 08:03, SecretSam said:

But the "facts" are well known. He was found guilty. He did it.

In most professions, he'd be out. Unemployable.

What are those professions that will not employ people with a domestic violence conviction?

Many professions will. 

Having a criminal conviction, or convictions does not necessarily mean a person cannot work in for instance care, or education under equal OPs and the rehabilitation of offenders act.  

2 hours ago, Cowshed said:

What are those professions that will not employ people with a domestic violence conviction?

Many professions will. 

Having a criminal conviction, or convictions does not necessarily mean a person cannot work in for instance care, or education under equal OPs and the rehabilitation of offenders act.  

In education he’d have a hard job getting a second chance. It would show on his DBS and would then be up to the individual school to make a judgment.

I certainly wouldn’t be staking my school’s reputation on an employee with that on the record.

32 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

In education he’d have a hard job getting a second chance. It would show on his DBS and would then be up to the individual school to make a judgment.

I certainly wouldn’t be staking my school’s reputation on an employee with that on the record.

Yes exactly. And this will not necessarily mean an individual will not be employed. The poster stated in most professions the topical individual would be unemployable. Schools do employ people with convictions and spent convictions. A conviction should not beyond particular offences mean an individual is unemployable for life across all professions.

3 hours ago, Northern Red said:

You appear to be suggesting that the club should be able to see into the future when emplying someone?

I’m not suggesting anything. I’m stating the fact it happened. Then a few days later the club signs a convicted domestic abuser and the only word out the club on the topic is from Pearson who says that he ‘believes very strongly in giving people a 2nd chance’, and feels very strongly ‘In not making politically correct decisions.’ - well great, thanks for clearing that up Nige. All is forgotten then. 

58 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

I’m not suggesting anything. I’m stating the fact it happened. Then a few days later the club signs a convicted domestic abuser and the only word out the club on the topic is from Pearson who says that he ‘believes very strongly in giving people a 2nd chance’, and feels very strongly ‘In not making politically correct decisions.’ - well great, thanks for clearing that up Nige. All is forgotten then. 

The whole point of a 2nd chance is that the original incident is NOT forgotten and that any sniff of a further misdemeanour means you are gone. It's fine to hold the strong opinion that you do and many supporters, myself included, would prefer that Simpson was plying his trade elsewhere BUT it's out of our control and he is a Bristol City FC player, like it or not. Disagreeing with the decision does not make it right to twist facts and say things like "the incident is forgotten" when the Manager has simply stated he believes in "2nd chances". Presumably Simpson's Partner has forgiven him, she's certainly supporting him that's for sure, and hopefully that is mainly because of his subsequent actions and behaviour since the conviction but I bet she hasn't forgotten (and so she shouldn't). If you can't support the club any longer on principle then that is very upstanding and nothing wrong with that but nowhere is it even hinted that the incident is forgotten. If it was considered forgotten then Pearson would have brushed the issue aside with a flippant remark such as "I'm not interested in incidents that happened five years ago" which he certainly didn't do.

47 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

The whole point of a 2nd chance is that the original incident is NOT forgotten and that any sniff of a further misdemeanour means you are gone. It's fine to hold the strong opinion that you do and many supporters, myself included, would prefer that Simpson was plying his trade elsewhere BUT it's out of our control and he is a Bristol City FC player, like it or not. Disagreeing with the decision does not make it right to twist facts and say things like "the incident is forgotten" when the Manager has simply stated he believes in "2nd chances". Presumably Simpson's Partner has forgiven him, she's certainly supporting him that's for sure, and hopefully that is mainly because of his subsequent actions and behaviour since the conviction but I bet she hasn't forgotten (and so she shouldn't). If you can't support the club any longer on principle then that is very upstanding and nothing wrong with that but nowhere is it even hinted that the incident is forgotten. If it was considered forgotten then Pearson would have brushed the issue aside with a flippant remark such as "I'm not interested in incidents that happened five years ago" which he certainly didn't do.

This is a fair post.That said, my own feeling is that I'm prepared to accept that everyone makes mistakes (although clearly, not all mistakes are equal) and that everyone deserves a second chance - however, the subsequent actions around the punishment and appealing against it, seemingly not just once but twice, is pretty poor and not someone effectively demonstrating responsibility or remorse imho. Of course, in the subsequent years, Simpson may well have done this privately and as you say his partner appears supportive.

I'm not going to stop supporting the club over this but as others have said, maybe a difficulty for someone else to have.

22 hours ago, Bobbie said:

Am I missing something? What did he say to make those that disagree with this change their minds? The fact he thinks he deserves a 2nd chance? Great. That was already fairly obvious by the fact he’s signed him. 

Where does the club draw the line on violence against women? I wonder if Sesay will deserve a 2nd chance in a few years...

Are you really comparing the 2?

Genuine question, what were Leicester and Huddersfield fans thoughts on him after the conviction?

13 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

As I say, I don't think we should bar him from employment, and I don't even really have an issue with us signing the guy. I am neither pious, angelic, perfect nor a bastard. However I have also never been arrested, cautioned, tried nor convicted of a domestic violence offence (or any other crime as it happens). 

However, Cotts did a press release and the Club garnered positive press in 2014 when they signed up to the Women's Aid thing. If you take the positive press at that time then you have to stump up and take the hit when you get called out. It's also made the national papers and I think this could have been avoided had the Club just added a couple of lines into the press around his signing acknowledging that it could be seen as running contrary to the Club's previously stated commitments, but that Bristol City remained committed to fighting domestic violence. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/03/31/sport-must-acknowledge-duty-address-issue-violence-against-women/ 

I agree wholeheartedly with you that any announcement by the club is for Ashton, not Pearson to make. Had Ashton done so the in the press-conference Pearson could have referred to the official club position.

I thought Pearson spoke well about it, i.e. adopting a generous nature and giving people a fresh chance. 

His wife, the victim, has said Simpson is not the same person now as he was 5-6 years ago and clearly fully supports him from her posts, so sounds like he is a reformed character. Time to move on and let's judge him on what he can bring to the side on the pitch.  

1 hour ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

The whole point that he played for Leicester and Huddersfield post conviction means that the team and management claiming signing for City is a 2nd chance is utter crap  compounding that with a 'non political correctness' thing is too much. 

yeah, not the greatest few weeks in the clubs history by any stretch of the imagination. 

What a strange way of looking at it.

Has he re-offended since? If not, wouldn’t it be correct to say he is still on his second chance? regardless of the number of clubs which is totally irrelevant.

Anyway, welcome Danny. Good luck, I hope you continue to take your second chance at life and make your family proud.

5 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

See the Telegraph article from @exiledajax

We're national news for the reasons a few others and me have already raised.

Nationally trashed reputation for signing a 34 year old player without a club for some time.  Worth it with 8 games left, really? 

It's not about '2nd chances' or in our case 3rd or 4th 

Simply put, and I'm sorry you dont 'get' the brouhaha here, your post spectacularly misses the point though. 

If you read that article it proves that at Board level the club is spectacularly incompetent. The article isn’t full of the fire and brimstone “don’t employ the bastard” rhetoric. The clear issue they identify and that the Charity identified is that the club has said **** all (apart from Pearson when pressed). Perhaps Steve Lansdown could explain to fans for further clarity what it is that Mark Ashton brings to the party other than to go hiding when the heat is turned up?

The biggest factor in deciding whether to give him a second chance is whether he has unequivocally shown remorse. I don’t know whether he has or hasn’t but that is the question to be asked.

Also, there has to be more to it than signing a 34 year old for 8 games at the end of a meaningless season. Is Nigel thinking of another role for him next season?

I’m disappointed with the whole episode, just when the club seemed to be on the right track both on and off the pitch. Nothing wrong with second chances but we are a football club, not a criminal rehabilitation charity.
It just doesn’t make sense and an unnecessary distraction.

6 minutes ago, TedsHeadIs Red said:

Perhaps NP wants to use him to change the culture of “niceness” around the club.

Or perhaps MA has switched to a bad human strategy for recruitment.

Nicely put! 

I'm sure Nige wants Simpson here to show our "nice" youngsters what life is really like at the top.  He clearly has a nasty streak in him, you need that to win these days, and our lot lack any of that kind of steel.  So I see the logic. 

But the negative press coverage is bad for Brand Bristol Sport and, who do you think is responsible for that?  Oh yes,  the CEO.  And where is he when the sh1t hits the fan?   Same place as he always is when things go wrong. - nowhere to be seen.     There is a cause for giving offenders a second chance, and Nige made that case perfectly well but he shouldn't have had to.  A serious CEO or PR person would have seen the problem in advance and managed the messaging and the relationship with the charity before the announcement was made. 

But unfortunately our CEO was too busy getting the credit for the new training ground. 

8 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

See the Telegraph article from @exiledajax

We're national news for the reasons a few others and me have already raised.

Nationally trashed reputation for signing a 34 year old player without a club for some time.  Worth it with 8 games left, really? 

It's not about '2nd chances' or in our case 3rd or 4th 

Simply put, and I'm sorry you dont 'get' the brouhaha here, your post spectacularly misses the point though. 

No not at all. I was simply interested in why you felt the club were so wrong in calling it a “second chance” just because he’d had other clubs. It seemed a strange thing to pick them up on given the whole situation.

Apparently you’re off to support a club with morals or something anyway so I’ll leave it there.

2 hours ago, Daniro said:

Nicely put! 

I'm sure Nige wants Simpson here to show our "nice" youngsters what life is really like at the top.  He clearly has a nasty streak in him, you need that to win these days, and our lot lack any of that kind of steel.  So I see the logic. 

But the negative press coverage is bad for Brand Bristol Sport and, who do you think is responsible for that?  Oh yes,  the CEO.  And where is he when the sh1t hits the fan?   Same place as he always is when things go wrong. - nowhere to be seen.     There is a cause for giving offenders a second chance, and Nige made that case perfectly well but he shouldn't have had to.  A serious CEO or PR person would have seen the problem in advance and managed the messaging and the relationship with the charity before the announcement was made. 

But unfortunately our CEO was too busy getting the credit for the new training ground. 

Last statement sums the whole situation up for me.

2 hours ago, Kibs said:

No not at all. I was simply interested in why you felt the club were so wrong in calling it a “second chance” just because he’d had other clubs. It seemed a strange thing to pick them up on given the whole situation.

Apparently you’re off to support a club with morals or something anyway so I’ll leave it there.

You will always get some who cannot forgive such a crime and some with a couldn’t care less the bloke is here to play football attitude. Having read all of this topic it appears to me that the majority are uncomfortable but will go with it for now.

Had the club issued a statement along the lines of we’re giving him a chance but we totally condemn domestic abuse, perhaps in conjunction with the Charity in wording, instead of radio silence I think most supporters, particularly our FEMALE season ticket holders, would feel a lot more comfortable with the situation.

For me this is where CEO’s earn their £0.5m per annum.

Archived