IGNORED

Danny Simpson

pl00peh91

4 hours ago, Marco the red said:

Surely there are better young options out there.

Yeah not really fussed about Danny Simpson staying, it feels like a plaster over the cracks. Would rather we get someone who can be here for years and improve. 

10 hours ago, Marco the red said:

Surely there are better young options out there.

There are. Simpson is 35 and seriously declining as a footballer (and has been for 3 years now). 
Josh Key is a very promising youngster from the Exeter conveyor belt who I’d confidently say is better than Simpson right now and has much more to come. 

If it’s true what I’ve heard on this one, we’ve decided not to bother going in for Key and Simpson will be re-signing with us. 

Big shame. 

24 minutes ago, Harry said:

There are. Simpson is 35 and seriously declining as a footballer (and has been for 3 years now). 
Josh Key is a very promising youngster from the Exeter conveyor belt who I’d confidently say is better than Simpson right now and has much more to come. 

If it’s true what I’ve heard on this one, we’ve decided not to bother going in for Key and Simpson will be re-signing with us. 

Big shame. 

It is. Watch someone like Barnsley take a punt on him now and sell him to Villa or West Ham for £20m in a years time.

41 minutes ago, Harry said:

Big shame. 

@Harry Which position do you believe that Vyner will be primarily used in?

On 09/06/2021 at 19:39, SBB said:

Not sure what to make of this post from Danny Simpson. Could mean anything…or nothing, of course. Just odd that he’s decided to wear his old Leicester gear. 

673072CE-E711-40D5-96D4-5D44898BA872.jpeg

Holding on to his past it seems 

1 minute ago, cidered abroad said:

@Harry Which position do you believe that Vyner will be primarily used in?

To be honest, I don’t know at the moment. Clearly we have no right backs at the moment but I am told it’s likely Simpson will sign, so it would look like him and Vyner for the RB spot. 
However, Pearson seems to want 2 more CB’s, so I guess Vyner’s fate at that position depends very much on if we get those 2, and probably more importantly, if we get 2 that are near the top of our list, rather than barrel-scraping after the best ones have all gone elsewhere. 
For a while it seemed as if Whatmough and Atkinson might’ve been the 2, but one has now moved and I don’t know if we’re anywhere close to matching the required fee on the other. 

13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I don't wish to be harsh, but Simpson and Vyner as a 1-2 going into the season doesn't fill me with confidence at RB, especially if we are looking to play a more positive game.

Not particularly confident but we'll see.

I’m perfectly happy with it…should Simpson sign.

Think Vyner is athletic, decent on the ball, can get up and back, plus he has a long throw.  Needs to improve delivery in final third.  Plus I don’t think he is dominant enough at CB for what NP wants, whereas 6’2” at full-back with an engine is dead handy.

Simpson I think is rest and rotation cover.  I thought he showed v Cov and Forest that he is still able….even if his touch was rusty at Cov.  He still got up and supported Semenyo.  He didn’t look like his legs had gone, like Brunt for example.

F7AC33FF-DA66-4335-9E0F-A7787C1E631E.jpeg.ca094df4d09ad505af121c93003eb38a.jpeg

Its probably a one season deal….can’t recruit everything in one go.  And he can cover LB if needed.

We’ll see.

23 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I don't wish to be harsh, but Simpson and Vyner as a 1-2 going into the season doesn't fill me with confidence at RB, especially if we are looking to play a more positive game.

Vyner had a season at RB in the Championship on loan at Rotherham, he played there at times for Aberdeen & has done so for us.

I think we are looking for an aerially dominant CB to partner Kalas but having a RB who is 6ft 2 won’t do us any harm, especially if Dasilva is the other full back.

I expect Simpson to be Vyner’s back up, rather than the other way around.

28 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

To be honest, there’s a lot about next season that doesn’t fill me with confidence, but I’m trying to be realistic. This season is going to be, at best, consolidation. Stick with an average set of performances, that develop some of the younger players, then the following season it’s onwards and upwards 

26 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

When you compare the players we are after, and what we have coming through, as a squad we are far weaker than what we were looking at under LJ.

As a fan base and club...tbh...as a population, we have become lemmings to the situation post covid across everything...and have just excepted the situation.

We seem to see NP as the Messiah and his judgement to players coming through and old gits from Leicester.

Seems all very odd to me.

However...the world has literally gone mad and looks at everything through different glasses in the last 16 months.

How anyone expects us to do well with a bunch of academy products and ex Leicester players is beyond me.

Fair play if we do...but I just can't see it.

13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I’m perfectly happy with it…should Simpson sign.

Think Vyner is athletic, decent on the ball, can get up and back, plus he has a long throw.  Needs to improve delivery in final third.  Plus I don’t think he is dominant enough at CB for what NP wants, whereas 6’2” at full-back with an engine is dead handy.

Simpson I think is rest and rotation cover.  I thought he showed v Cov and Forest that he is still able….even if his touch was rusty at Cov.  He still got up and supported Semenyo.  He didn’t look like his legs had gone, like Brunt for example.

F7AC33FF-DA66-4335-9E0F-A7787C1E631E.jpeg.ca094df4d09ad505af121c93003eb38a.jpeg

Its probably a one season deal….can’t recruit everything in one go.  And he can cover LB if needed.

We’ll see.

Thanks, that's assuaged a few fears. Vyner is a good age, plus as you say athletic and decent on the ball. Suppose my concern there would be, of late mainly a CB, mixed time of it as RB on loan at Rotherham.

Simpson, it's a bit of a hobby horse of mine. Higher line, or press, aging defenders. Never thought of it as a great combination. Not only us, as elsewhere I've queried whether Bonucci and Chiellini at their age (34, 36) could be Italy's downfall in the latter stages. Back on topic and Vyner's versatility in game could be an asset tactically. Certainly scope to switch between back 4 and 3, and vice versa in-game.

Archived