Jump to content
IGNORED

Danny Simpson


pl00peh91
 Share

Recommended Posts

Women’s Aid have removed the club from the Football against domestic violence campaign, which we originally signed up to with a great fanfare.

Really poor decision by the club.

I would like to know if the Board even discussed this issue.  If they didn’t this is very remiss of them; if they did it is a reprehensible decision.

The club is losing bit by bit its historical identity.

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Hmmm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Women’s Aid have removed the club from the Football against domestic violence campaign, which we originally signed up to with a great fanfare.

Really poor decision by the club.

I would like to know if the Board even discussed this issue.  If they didn’t this is very remiss of them; if they did it is a reprehensible decision.

The club is losing bit by bit its historical identity.

It’s extremely poor PR for the club to have Women’s Aid remove the club from their fanfare. Would like the club to use this signing as a positive, maybe Simpson could do some form of publicity to condemn domestic violence. I would imagine Simpson will be here next season.

Seems strange that part of our recruitment process for a manager was based on him being a good human and less than 12 months later we sign a player whose been convicted of domestic abuse. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

Those that say he has served his time so it’s fine, I assume would think the same if we signed a convicted rapist or peadophile who had served their time

Domestic abuse is not a complex issue as some have said. It’s a straightforward one. Don’t beat up your wife/husband/partner 

Your ignorance on the subject is astounding.

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

If his partner has made piece with it, and they appear to be together again does it change your opinion at all?

Especially if he’s done some Form of counselling, anger management or other corrective process?

The “NP knows all the facts” comment makes me think there’s more here than the papers told us - and the papers will Happily tear someone down but not necessarily report on their rehabilitation.

I don’t condone what he did, and given the questionable necessity of this signing it’s probably a controversy I’d have preferred we’d stayed away from but people do change. Theirs arguably worse people who have been accepted back into football

 

No. To me, it makes no difference if his partner is at peace with it.

What it teaches is that you can commit DV, try to evade your punishment, show no remorse and then still remain with your partner and get a high-profile job.

Doesn’t seem right to me and sends the wrong message out.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

If his partner has made piece with it, and they appear to be together again does it change your opinion at all?

Especially if he’s done some Form of counselling, anger management or other corrective process?

The “NP knows all the facts” comment makes me think there’s more here than the papers told us - and the papers will Happily tear someone down but not necessarily report on their rehabilitation.

I don’t condone what he did, and given the questionable necessity of this signing it’s probably a controversy I’d have preferred we’d stayed away from but people do change. Theirs arguably worse people who have been accepted back into football

 

Whether other clubs have signed other convicted players isn’t relevant to me. It’s a simple one in my opinion. I don’t want my club signing players who have been convicted of domestic abuse, rape or murder.  I wouldn’t employ such a person or have such a person as a friend either. 

There are no caveats for me. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really don't want to trivialise a very serious issue which I do happen to have a decent knowledge of tbf but so many MEN talking so much shit right now it’s embarrassing. “The club losing it’s historical identity” what the absolute **** is that steaming hot pile of shit statement all about?

  • Like 12
  • Haha 2
  • Flames 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I really don't want to trivialise a very serious issue which I do happen to have a decent knowledge of tbf but so many MEN talking so much shit right now it’s embarrassing. “The club losing it’s historical identity” what the absolute **** is that steaming hot pile of shit statement all about?

Even as a fan I don't know what our historical identity is! 😂

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Rich_s said:

Bloke sounds like a complete bellend. Part of me says everyone should have a second chance and the other part of me thinks his second chance should be elsewhere.

Sort of where I am also.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Whether other clubs have signed other convicted players isn’t relevant to me. It’s a simple one in my opinion. I don’t want my club signing players who have been convicted of domestic abuse, rape or murder.  I wouldn’t employ such a person or have such a person as a friend either. 

There are no caveats for me. 

I noticed you reacted to my reply. To claim that domestic abuse is not complex shows a significant lack of knowledge around the subject. I won’t bore you with paragraphs of the stuff but for starters knocking your other half around is only one of MANY methods of control used by perpetrators.

It’s very simple to say don’t knock your missus black and blue, simples. Of course very correct but if only it was that simple. Another comment you hear is “the Partner should leave, simples”. You could write dozens of books on:

1) Why leaving is not as simple as it sounds

2) Why abused people have a hugely higher probability of stumbling into further abusive relationships

Simple it certainly isn’t. Btw, out of interest, woman on woman abuse in Lesbian relationships either is or certainly was the relationship type with statistically the highest levels of abuse.......

  • Like 1
  • Flames 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I’m really uncomfortable about this for all the reasons others have said.

As well as being an abuser he also just seems like a bit of a knob. Turns up at a charity shop to do his community service in a Lamborghini, and then moans about people taking pictures. Gets into very public social media spats with other mouthy footballers.

And slightly worrying that he was part of a Leicester side that made headlines for their off field activities generally, including allegations of racist abuse of sex workers on trip to Thailand. (He wasn’t part of that trip, but only because of his DA case going on at the time)

Which brings me to my other concern that hasn’t really been mentioned; we are very clear as a club that it’s our academy players, our young players, that are our future. I’m not sure that I want them coming through their introduction to first team squads and football being influenced by the idea that successful footballers are like this guy seems to be. We might joke about the whole DNA thing, but it’s not without merit.

Yes, he might be a reformed character. Regretful of what he’s done. But there’s not much evidence of it out there, and would it be hard for him to say?

Is he supposed to go out and buy another car to do community service in ?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, italian dave said:

And slightly worrying that he was part of a Leicester side that made headlines for their off field activities generally, including allegations of racist abuse of sex workers on trip to Thailand. (He wasn’t part of that trip, but only because of his DA case going on at the time)

 

Wow....and here’s my problem and the danger with some people/comments on here. 

You have dragged up and included an ‘alleged’ incident that he was absolutely not part of yet have associated him, some might say smeared, just because he was playing for Leicester at the time. 

The bloke was a knob for what he DID do but should not be further chastised for association in an event he clearly was not.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Even as a fan I don't know what our historical identity is! 😂

I’m more interested in our playing identity, no idea what that is / was 🤣🤣🤣

12 minutes ago, Rich_s said:

Bloke sounds like a complete bellend. Part of me says everyone should have a second chance and the other part of me thinks his second chance should be elsewhere.

Imho, bloke sounded like a complete bellend over this at the time / afterwards.  Whether he’s learned from his mistake and no longer acts like a bellend I don’t know.

I kinda like your second sentence.

3 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Is he supposed to go out and buy another car to do community service in ?

Imagine he’d turned up in a Lada (sorry OTIB Lada drivers), they’d all accuse him of taking the piss wouldn’t they.

 

Overall, really delicate subject.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

Wow....and here’s my problem and the danger with some people/comments on here. 

You have dragged up and included an ‘alleged’ incident that he was absolutely not part of yet have associated him, some might say smeared, just because he was playing for Leicester at the time. 

The bloke was a knob for what he DID do but should not be further chastised for association in an event he clearly was not.

I very explicitly acknowledged that he was not on that trip. Deliberately.

But the point I was trying to make in my post was about a club’s ‘DNA’, for want of a better word. And it is relevant to that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Even as a fan I don't know what our historical identity is! 😂

I'm sick of reading all the identity, DNA , not at my club rubbish! You'd think we were Barcelona or Manchester United.. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Prinny said:

When the fun stops, stop. Supporting Danny Simpson, isn't fun for me. I won't get entertainment from cheering on a convicted abuser.

Therefore there's no point in me investing time and money and emotional capital into an entertainment company that no longer entertains.

I will not be following City anymore.

@Davefevs, @Septic Peg, @havanatopia, over to you on match days again.....

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I noticed you reacted to my reply. To claim that domestic abuse is not complex shows a significant lack of knowledge around the subject. I won’t bore you with paragraphs of the stuff but for starters knocking your other half around is only one of MANY methods of control used by perpetrators.

It’s very simple to say don’t knock your missus black and blue, simples. Of course very correct but if only it was that simple. Another comment you hear is “the Partner should leave, simples”. You could write dozens of books on:

1) Why leaving is not as simple as it sounds

2) Why abused people have a hugely higher probability of stumbling into further abusive relationships

Simple it certainly isn’t. Btw, out of interest, woman on woman abuse in Lesbian relationships either is or certainly was the relationship type with statistically the highest levels of abuse.......

Think we are talking at crossed purposes. I agree with everything you say on this reply.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m more interested in our playing identity, no idea what that is / was 🤣🤣🤣

Imho, bloke sounded like a complete bellend over this at the time / afterwards.  Whether he’s learned from his mistake and no longer acts like a bellend I don’t know.

I kinda like your second sentence.

Imagine he’d turned up in a Lada (sorry OTIB Lada drivers), they’d all accuse him of taking the piss wouldn’t they.

 

Overall, really delicate subject.

Very delicate subject but as the women involved has come out and said he should be judged as a person he is now and not 6 years ago he deserves a chance 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Bobbie said:

I wonder if you’d be saying that if he slapped up your daughter 

Typical of someone posting without the facts. I’m certainly not condoning domestic abuse but now the woman involved has come out to support DS on social media & say the press lied about the incident , are you going to change your opinion ? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Typical of someone posting without the facts. I’m certainly not condoning domestic abuse but now the woman involved has come out to support DS on social media & say the press lied about the incident , are you going to change your opinion ? 

Tbf the prosecution was brought by the police who witnessed it happening. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Typical of someone posting without the facts. I’m certainly not condoning domestic abuse but now the woman involved has come out to support DS on social media & say the press lied about the incident , are you going to change your opinion ? 

She says the press lies but then also posted stuff like the below. Something doesn’t quite add up

4A36B824-5438-491C-A8E2-27387A33D071.jpeg

E889AC9E-CB81-4E0E-B641-C9F4388BC461.jpeg

06D325A9-0A74-4672-AA9F-31D8DF2E4DD9.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Very delicate subject but as the women involved has come out and said he should be judged as a person he is now and not 6 years ago he deserves a chance 

One of the problems is people tend to read things in the media these days and repeat them as absolute fact, forgetting the media only ever prints stuff to suit it's own agenda. You only have to look at the number of times people spout stuff on here as fact and then the real facts come out and they are somewhat different. The facts that I am aware of are:

Danny Simpson was convicted in 2015 and people have their opinions on that, rightly so.

Then a lot of stuff was printed in the media which, like it or not, justified or not, was designed to portray a footballer in a certain way compared to the rest of the population. How much of that was plain, straight fact, how much was the media bending the truth to fit a narrative and how many facts the media concealed because they didn't fit the agenda of the story we will simply never know.

Danny Simpson seemingly has never made a PUBLIC APOLOGY or shown REMORSE PUBLICALLY. That doesn't mean no apology or remorse has been shown (a more public apology and possibly a donation to an appropriate organisation would have been the way to go imo - "I've messed up, I'll do the punishment, I'll get help, I'll sort myself out" is good enough for all but the most pious/virtuous of people, you can't please all whatever you do).

Danny Simpson and the victim of the abuse would seem to be in a more healthy relationship 6 years after the abuse took place judging by his partner's comments on social media and she, by her comments, is pleased that he has a job with us.

This really isn't as straightforward as some make out. The only clear thing in all this is that what Simpson did was wrong and reprehensible.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, petehinton said:

She says the press lies but then also posted stuff like the below. Something doesn’t quite add up

4A36B824-5438-491C-A8E2-27387A33D071.jpeg

E889AC9E-CB81-4E0E-B641-C9F4388BC461.jpeg

06D325A9-0A74-4672-AA9F-31D8DF2E4DD9.jpeg

But you & others come across as you know the full facts when in truth you know **** all . As I’ve said , I’m not condoning domestic abuse at any level but I can’t stand people getting on their high horse about a incident they  know nothing about . 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...