Danny Simpson

pl00peh91

6 minutes ago, TedsHeadIs Red said:

Perhaps NP wants to use him to change the culture of “niceness” around the club.

Or perhaps MA has switched to a bad human strategy for recruitment.

Nicely put! 

I'm sure Nige wants Simpson here to show our "nice" youngsters what life is really like at the top.  He clearly has a nasty streak in him, you need that to win these days, and our lot lack any of that kind of steel.  So I see the logic. 

But the negative press coverage is bad for Brand Bristol Sport and, who do you think is responsible for that?  Oh yes,  the CEO.  And where is he when the sh1t hits the fan?   Same place as he always is when things go wrong. - nowhere to be seen.     There is a cause for giving offenders a second chance, and Nige made that case perfectly well but he shouldn't have had to.  A serious CEO or PR person would have seen the problem in advance and managed the messaging and the relationship with the charity before the announcement was made. 

But unfortunately our CEO was too busy getting the credit for the new training ground. 

8 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

See the Telegraph article from @exiledajax

We're national news for the reasons a few others and me have already raised.

Nationally trashed reputation for signing a 34 year old player without a club for some time.  Worth it with 8 games left, really? 

It's not about '2nd chances' or in our case 3rd or 4th 

Simply put, and I'm sorry you dont 'get' the brouhaha here, your post spectacularly misses the point though. 

No not at all. I was simply interested in why you felt the club were so wrong in calling it a “second chance” just because he’d had other clubs. It seemed a strange thing to pick them up on given the whole situation.

Apparently you’re off to support a club with morals or something anyway so I’ll leave it there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daniro said:

Nicely put! 

I'm sure Nige wants Simpson here to show our "nice" youngsters what life is really like at the top.  He clearly has a nasty streak in him, you need that to win these days, and our lot lack any of that kind of steel.  So I see the logic. 

But the negative press coverage is bad for Brand Bristol Sport and, who do you think is responsible for that?  Oh yes,  the CEO.  And where is he when the sh1t hits the fan?   Same place as he always is when things go wrong. - nowhere to be seen.     There is a cause for giving offenders a second chance, and Nige made that case perfectly well but he shouldn't have had to.  A serious CEO or PR person would have seen the problem in advance and managed the messaging and the relationship with the charity before the announcement was made. 

But unfortunately our CEO was too busy getting the credit for the new training ground. 

Last statement sums the whole situation up for me.

2 hours ago, Kibs said:

No not at all. I was simply interested in why you felt the club were so wrong in calling it a “second chance” just because he’d had other clubs. It seemed a strange thing to pick them up on given the whole situation.

Apparently you’re off to support a club with morals or something anyway so I’ll leave it there.

You will always get some who cannot forgive such a crime and some with a couldn’t care less the bloke is here to play football attitude. Having read all of this topic it appears to me that the majority are uncomfortable but will go with it for now.

Had the club issued a statement along the lines of we’re giving him a chance but we totally condemn domestic abuse, perhaps in conjunction with the Charity in wording, instead of radio silence I think most supporters, particularly our FEMALE season ticket holders, would feel a lot more comfortable with the situation.

For me this is where CEO’s earn their £0.5m per annum.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, SBB said:

Not sure what to make of this post from Danny Simpson. Could mean anything…or nothing, of course. Just odd that he’s decided to wear his old Leicester gear. 

673072CE-E711-40D5-96D4-5D44898BA872.jpeg

Perhaps he's just stumbled across this thread?

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Marco the red said:

Surely there are better young options out there.

There are. Simpson is 35 and seriously declining as a footballer (and has been for 3 years now). 
Josh Key is a very promising youngster from the Exeter conveyor belt who I’d confidently say is better than Simpson right now and has much more to come. 

If it’s true what I’ve heard on this one, we’ve decided not to bother going in for Key and Simpson will be re-signing with us. 

Big shame. 

• Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

24 minutes ago, Harry said:

There are. Simpson is 35 and seriously declining as a footballer (and has been for 3 years now). 
Josh Key is a very promising youngster from the Exeter conveyor belt who I’d confidently say is better than Simpson right now and has much more to come. 

If it’s true what I’ve heard on this one, we’ve decided not to bother going in for Key and Simpson will be re-signing with us. 

Big shame. 

It is. Watch someone like Barnsley take a punt on him now and sell him to Villa or West Ham for £20m in a years time.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Harry said:

Big shame. 

@Harry Which position do you believe that Vyner will be primarily used in?

1 minute ago, cidered abroad said:

@Harry Which position do you believe that Vyner will be primarily used in?

To be honest, I don’t know at the moment. Clearly we have no right backs at the moment but I am told it’s likely Simpson will sign, so it would look like him and Vyner for the RB spot. 
However, Pearson seems to want 2 more CB’s, so I guess Vyner’s fate at that position depends very much on if we get those 2, and probably more importantly, if we get 2 that are near the top of our list, rather than barrel-scraping after the best ones have all gone elsewhere. 
For a while it seemed as if Whatmough and Atkinson might’ve been the 2, but one has now moved and I don’t know if we’re anywhere close to matching the required fee on the other. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I don't wish to be harsh, but Simpson and Vyner as a 1-2 going into the season doesn't fill me with confidence at RB, especially if we are looking to play a more positive game.

Not particularly confident but we'll see.

I’m perfectly happy with it…should Simpson sign.

Think Vyner is athletic, decent on the ball, can get up and back, plus he has a long throw.  Needs to improve delivery in final third.  Plus I don’t think he is dominant enough at CB for what NP wants, whereas 6’2” at full-back with an engine is dead handy.

Simpson I think is rest and rotation cover.  I thought he showed v Cov and Forest that he is still able….even if his touch was rusty at Cov.  He still got up and supported Semenyo.  He didn’t look like his legs had gone, like Brunt for example.

F7AC33FF-DA66-4335-9E0F-A7787C1E631E.jpeg.ca094df4d09ad505af121c93003eb38a.jpeg

Its probably a one season deal….can’t recruit everything in one go.  And he can cover LB if needed.

We’ll see.

• Thanks 1
  • Flames 1