IGNORED

Danny Simpson

pl00peh91

3 minutes ago, ooRya said:

why?

On 20 May 2015, Simpson was found guilty of assaulting his then-girlfriend and mother of his child, Stephanie Ward, on 28 December 2014. He was sentenced to 300 hours of community service.

2 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

Pleased with this one. 12 month deal so won’t be a bank breaker & will give valuable experience to some of the younger players.

12 months with a further 12 months option,  I'm not really sure what benefit the option gives either party unless it's linked to a specific target of appearances.

As we saw with AW , there was an option but we didn't have to implement it (we didn't) it and he didn't have to accept it.

3 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

12 months with a further 12 months option,  I'm not really sure what benefit the option gives either party unless it's linked to a specific target of appearances.

As we saw with AW , there was an option but we didn't have to implement it (we didn't) it and he didn't have to accept it.

Ah right, didn’t see there was an option of another 12 months. I guess it will come down to a mutual decision come the end depending on if his legs are gone or not. Would think that it will only be the 12 months to make sure we establish ourselves without the threat of relegation, then really push on with improved signings next summer.

Always thought this was nailed on from the time Pearson brought him in.

Said all I’m going to say on the morality of this at the time, think he is good for probably 25 games a season so will provide competition & cover for Vyner, who I fully expect to be first choice RB.

2 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

I think it depends on what the option is. In the case of AW we had the option to retain him on the current contract and I believe he wouldn't have had a choice, so effectively his contract was 1 year longer if he wanted. 

We then decided he wasn't worth the extra year at said contract so we didn't take up the option but negotiated a new deal which he was then free to reject. That is my take on it anyway. Personally think it is a good option on a contract and works in both parties favour. 

Re actually signing him. I assume it’s relatively low wage, Pearson clearly trusts him, and it saves our budget on signing players in other positions.

Why pay a fee and take a chance on a new RB when he have so many other positions that need filling.

We can’t do everything in one summer.

1 minute ago, Alan Dicks said:

So He’s paid his debt then?

A Premier League footballer convicted of assaulting his ex-girlfriend will no longer have to complete unpaid work due to press intrusion.

The 29-year-old's lawyer complained that journalists had found where he was carrying out his community service, making it impossible.

A judge revoked the sentence and ruled he should serve a curfew instead.

Simpson's lawyer Gary Ryan asked if the millionaire footballer could instead pay a fine, arguing that a curfew would be "unfair and unjust", and would interfere with his football commitments.

Think this will turn out to be a decent signing bags of experience, something that we did'nt have last year, a pre season will defo help he said that him self, and pearson obviously has said we need the right people at the club, hes made mistakes in the past but, id like to think hes learnt from that.

1 hour ago, Banned User said:

On 20 May 2015, Simpson was found guilty of assaulting his then-girlfriend and mother of his child, Stephanie Ward, on 28 December 2014. He was sentenced to 300 hours of community service.

After signing a new contract, Weimann was pictured on social media opening a can of Thatcher's cider.  Simpson's going to pose with a can of Stella.

4 hours ago, Banned User said:

Re actually signing him. I assume it’s relatively low wage, Pearson clearly trusts him, and it saves our budget on signing players in other positions.

Why pay a fee and take a chance on a new RB when he have so many other positions that need filling.

We can’t do everything in one summer.

Exactly my rationale since the end of the season.  Him and Vyner at RB, one position you don’t need to recruit for….focus on the spine.

Your final sentence i so agree with.

Re the “other stuff”, the victim is fully supportive of his changed character.  That’s where I leave it….judged on football for me.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Exactly my rationale since the end of the season.  Him and Vyner at RB, one position you don’t need to recruit for….focus on the spine.

Your final sentence i so agree with.

Re the “other stuff”, the victim is fully supportive of his changed character.  That’s where I leave it….judged on football for me.

The issue for me isn't us offering a contract to someone with a conviction for domestic violence but the refusal of him or the club to address that particular elephant in the room.

To be honest, the view of his partner isn't a massive factor for me. We know a lot of people tolerate or minimise domestic abuse and we know that people who experience domestic abuse often have their confidence destroyed to a point where they simply don't feel they deserve any better.

I'd like to see evidence of the change in character. As far as I recall, he's never accepted culpability for what he did. Anyone has the right to earn a second chance but I just don't see what he's done to try to earn that. If him or the club were to publicly state that domestic violence is unacceptable, that he did something wrong and he's trying to understand his behaviour and be a better person, that would be good enough for me.

But without that, it leaves a bit of a bad taste in the mouth. 

Still have my reservations about Simpson-Vyner 1-2, the stats showed some promise but- well not really a fan of over 30s in a higher press type approach.

Vyner less so but was he not mixed somewhat at Rotherham in that position? Vyner I have less concerns about but do wonder given he has played at CB more than RB. We'll see anyway.

18 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

The issue for me isn't us offering a contract to someone with a conviction for domestic violence but the refusal of him or the club to address that particular elephant in the room.

To be honest, the view of his partner isn't a massive factor for me. We know a lot of people tolerate or minimise domestic abuse and we know that people who experience domestic abuse often have their confidence destroyed to a point where they simply don't feel they deserve any better.

I'd like to see evidence of the change in character. As far as I recall, he's never accepted culpability for what he did. Anyone has the right to earn a second chance but I just don't see what he's done to try to earn that. If him or the club were to publicly state that domestic violence is unacceptable, that he did something wrong and he's trying to understand his behaviour and be a better person, that would be good enough for me.

Maybe for Bristol City it’s not an elephant in the room?

It happened whilst he was contracted to another club, has been at another club since, etc.

As a journalist, you have far better “access” to the club than most of us, so if you feel strongly both yourself, or on behalf of others, then contact the club and ask for it to be addressed.

There are a number of posters on here that I’m sure would welcome you taking a stand by taking the lead on their behalf.

22 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Is it a massive elephant in the room?

Why would the club have to address it, are company's not allowed to hire people with a criminal record? 

What he did is not on but he served his sentence and has a right to continue to make his living,

It didn't happen at our club so I see no need for our club to address it, unlike when Bradley Orr was convicted and served a prison sentence for gbh

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Maybe for Bristol City it’s not an elephant in the room?

It happened whilst he was contracted to another club, has been at another club since, etc.

As a journalist, you have far better “access” to the club than most of us, so if you feel strongly both yourself, or on behalf of others, then contact the club and ask for it to be addressed.

There are a number of posters on here that I’m sure would welcome you taking a stand by taking the lead on their behalf.

I'm not a journalist and have no access to the club! Are you maybe confusing me with another poster?

It came up when he signed obviously because Women's Aid ended their partnership with us. I feel that made it an elephant for us too.

What's done is done, and I'm not angry and outraged by the signing. I just understand why some are disappointed with it and would feel far happier if Simpson had shown some remorse. 

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

Is it a massive elephant in the room?

Why would the club have to address it, are company's not allowed to hire people with a criminal record? 

What he did is not on but he served his sentence and has a right to continue to make his living,

It didn't happen at our club so I see no need for our club to address it, unlike when Bradley Orr was convicted and served a prison sentence for gbh

See above. Companies are obviously allowed to hire someone with a criminal record. But it will obviously have a PR impact and people are entitled to have a view on it.

I agree people with criminal convictions should have a right to rehabilitation and a second chance but part of that rehabilitation process has to be taking responsibility for your actions and I've never seen any evidence of Simpson doing that. 

28 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

From the messages on Twitter from his ex partner/mother of his daughter she is far from low on confidence or behaving like a victim. She is wholeheartedly supporting him in his new venture, and has explained the situation regarding his arrest too. Nigel stated that he spoke to both of them before signing Danny. I think he has changed character, I think there was a problem with alcohol, which he has addressed, he also supports some mental health charities, so I think he recognises where the issue lies.

Archived