IGNORED

Danny Simpson

pl00peh91

1 minute ago, Waffleflap said:

Get a grip . Like I said, i dont condone what happened but people make mistakes 

I agree that people should not be eternally defined by one immoral act, but I also don't think someone guilty of that particular act should be recruited by Bristol City.

I commented to a gas friend of mine that I would be appalled if City appointed someone like Barton representing my club. Unfortunately that falls into that bracket and I am very disappointed with City. Seasons over, we have options at right back, they aren’t great but I’d rather see Vyner there should Hunt get injured. 
What do we gain for the last 9 games with this signing

6 minutes ago, Waffleflap said:

Get a grip . Like I said, i dont condone what happened but people make mistakes 

Sounds like Simpson did.  I see little point in signing a player for 10 games with the background the player has.  Huge PR disaster that offers us nothing long term and very little short term other than bad headlines

Awful signing even if he is a good player. I would have hoped signings like this would not be sanctioned. Says a lot about the arses in charge of our club, and doesn't exactly suggest Pearson cares about the character of his players (and says something about Pearson's character as well).  If this is they type of character Pearson wants in the team I'd rather Pearson wasn't here.  

maybe,just maybe hes learned his lesson and has reformed. time will tell but cut the bloke some slack and give him a chance to show hes turned it around.

i would be totally screwed if people still regarded me as the pissed up arsehole i was 25 years ago and have been thoroughly grateful for the chance to put things right and am a better person for it

49 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Screenshot_20210326-192533_Chrome.jpg

Interesting that women’s aid said that the  club did engage with them before signing Danny Simpson and that their door remains open. Whilst they and I accept that Danny has served his sentence, I still think it’s a good opportunity for the club and Danny to use the opportunity for some kind of dialogue on domestic violence.

Just now, robin_unreliant said:

I look forward to GmG asking Nige about this. Should be fun. 

he might know something they wont discuss in public. i cant believe NP would sign him without knowing something to say it would never happen again. he would be blotting his own copybook

4 minutes ago, petehinton said:

The amount of people sympathising with what he did/passing it off like it’s not a big deal a bit worrying tbh. Not surprising, but still. 

Yep. Wonder how they’d react if Simpson had done that to their sister/daughter/niece?? Doubt they’d say ‘oh it was a drunken mistake’...

43 minutes ago, TRL said:

Sounds like Simpson did.  I see little point in signing a player for 10 games with the background the player has.  Huge PR disaster that offers us nothing long term and very little short term other than bad headlines

Awful signing even if he is a good player. I would have hoped signings like this would not be sanctioned. Says a lot about the arses in charge of our club, and doesn't exactly suggest Pearson cares about the character of his players (and says something about Pearson's character as well).  If this is they type of character Pearson wants in the team I'd rather Pearson wasn't here.  

Don't be daft. Best manager we've had for years. He knows his character and probably knows that everyone deserves a second chance 

Just now, Waffleflap said:

Don't be daft. Best manager we've had for years. He knows his character and probably knows that everyone deserves a second chance 

I’m sure if any female relative of yours gets slapped about you’ll be quick to give their bloke a second chance. 

12 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

I look forward to GmG asking Nige about this. Should be fun. 

I hope Pearson has the integrity to answer the questions posed to him on this. IMO it’s a disgrace and he needs to give his reasons for signing him and not refuse to answer questions and belittle the reporter like he usually does. I was happy with Pearson’s appointment but this has massively put me off him. Hopefully he will speak and justify his decision. 

Just now, Bobbie said:

I hope Pearson has the integrity to answer the questions posed to him on this. IMO it’s a disgrace and he needs to give his reasons for signing him and not refuse to answer questions and belittle the reporter like he usually does. I was happy with Pearson’s appointment but this has massively put me off him. Hopefully he will speak and justify his decision. 

Oh **** off!!!

Just now, Basil Fawlty said:

Just he ‘deserves a second chance’ apparently. I’m sure said people would be just as forgiving if it occurred to their daughter/sister etc...

You can’t stop the bloke from working though surely, what happened? I totally disagree with this but what actually happened?

8 minutes ago, Basil Fawlty said:

I’m sure if any female relative of yours gets slapped about you’ll be quick to give their bloke a second chance. 

Don't worry mate, I've had to deal with it in my life and it's horrible but it was repeated for years.  This was a drunken mistake which I don't  condone but willing to give the lad a chance 

4 minutes ago, KeepUpLino said:

You can’t stop the bloke from working though surely, what happened? I totally disagree with this but what actually happened?

You don’t know what happened and you’re commenting? Or are you obtuse in general?

1 minute ago, Waffleflap said:

Don't worry mate, I've had to deal with it in my life and it's horrible but it was repeated for years.  This was a drunken mistake which I don't  condone but willing to give the lad a chance 

Drunken mistake/repeated mistake...doesn’t matter. How do we know it wasn’t repeated by him? 

Doesn’t sit well with me. Not for a player of his age, standard and likely wages. Seems unnecessary at best and potentially very damaging at worst. 

Im surprised Lansdown has sanctioned this. Its at odds with how he’s worked hard to ensure our club is perceived positively, and in a large part we’ve done very well and benefitted on that front in the last few years. The Ayling sale is widely attributed to SL not being best pleased of it making front page news. I’m not saying it’s the only reason we sold him, but it wouldn’t have helped. 

Now with the Women’s Aid statement, I’m intrigued to see how the club reacts. Their statement is bang on for me, and puts quite a spotlight back at the club. As others have said I think it’s a perfect opportunity to respond directly and have that conversation. But with that must surely come some kind of justification that they (the club) feel its justified and right to sign Simpson. 

I’m intrigued too at how this signing has been agreed between Pearson, Ashton and Lansdown. It’s the first player Pearson has signed and clearly wanted. I don’t think this signing would sit any better with Lansdown than it does with me and many others here. But Lansdown isn’t going to want to block Pearson’s choice, or exercise any kind of control to undermine a manager who’s future is still up in the air. If Lansdown says no, then Pearson has every right to say cheerio (and we know how well that would go down). So Lansdown says yes, and we are where we are.

My niggling doubt that the club are still capable of ballsing it up when it comes to Pearson’s long term appointment are not remotely settled by this signing. Quite the opposite. 

This signing shows that Pearson is prepared to be ruthless in shaping the team exactly the way he wants it. Maybe this was also some sort of ‘test’ for SL to see if he would have a free hand to make the signings he wants. I’d imagine SL had been uneasy about the signing but sanctioning this now gives Pearson the green light to build HIS team.

My personal view about Simpson is that people should be given a chance to rehabilitate themselves. Around 1 in 3 men in this country have a criminal conviction in their lifetime!! Give the guy a chance.

6 minutes ago, KeepUpLino said:

You’re accusing everyone of being wet-wipes, but don’t know what he did?

Strangled his gf. Then used his money and position to get his sentence reduced - no remorse.

For me - no remorse = no second chances.

Archived