IGNORED

If you were a player today

Unan

How times have changed.....if anyone was warming up with any other colour than black then the shout would go up “look at that flash bastard, he needs kicking up in the air!!!”   You had to be some player to wear coloured boots back in the day.

puma kings were the preferred boot from Whose sport in the arcade from a bloke called Derek who was a top lad and always good for discount

3 hours ago, Banned User said:

What colour boots would you wear.

I'm sure for most of you lot growing up there were only black boots until those Alan Ball white ones appeared (? Hummel). These days they are every colour under the sun.

What would you go for? Are you a flashy Wells or no nonsense Pearson?

For me, you say? Can't beat these..

nik-308228-612-tags.jpg

Boots seem much of a muchness these days.

I remember from 04-06 there used to be lots of clever marketing about boots.

Nike vapours ‘weighing only 126 grams’ (shows how effective their marketing was) for strikers or wingers (Ronaldo, Cristiano Ronaldo).. total 90s for central midfielders (Scholes) less explosive centre forwards (Rooney) and certain defenders (Rio). They even bought out the Tiempo Legend aimed specifically at playmakers like Ronaldinho. I think Joe Cole wore them too. They were a really cool retro boot. 

Likewise Adidas with their F50s in response to the Nike Vapours - aimed at the same type of player (Robben) but also fullbacks (Ashley Cole used to wear them). Then had the Predators for midfielders (Becks, Gerrard, Lampard) and then lots of players wore the World Cups. 

Marketing back then was more clear cut. It shows I can remember the model that players 15 years ago used to wear. There seems to have been a shift towards ergonomics recently with lots of boots going closer up towards the ankle.

I think I preferred it how it used to be in the early/mid 2000s. Marketing was fun, the boots were interesting and it sticks in your mind.

This is a cracking ad which to me ushered in that really interesting era of boot marketing from Nike and Adidas

https://youtu.be/F2q7703-IFg

1 hour ago, cityboy said:

A3AED97F-B6EB-42AA-8286-1DEDFB923A16.jpeg

One Saturday morning in 1981 I received confirmation of  my first big work promotion, so to reward myself I went out a bought a pair of Patrick boots. They had an insert made of kangaroo skin ( I thought they would enable me to jump higher!  :) ) and were one of the softest and most comfortable pair of boots ever,

That afternoon I scored a hat-trick with them, but sorry to say that was s good as it got, and it went downhill from there!

8 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Boots seem much of a muchness these days.

I remember from 04-06 there used to be lots of clever marketing about boots.

Nike vapours ‘weighing only 126 grams’ (shows how effective their marketing was) for strikers or wingers (Ronaldo, Cristiano Ronaldo).. total 90s for central midfielders (Scholes) less explosive centre forwards (Rooney) and certain defenders (Rio). They even bought out the Tiempo Legend aimed specifically at playmakers like Ronaldinho. I think Joe Cole wore them too. They were a really cool retro boot. 

Likewise Adidas with their F50s in response to the Nike Vapours - aimed at the same type of player (Robben) but also fullbacks (Ashley Cole used to wear them). Then had the Predators for midfielders (Becks, Gerrard, Lampard) and then lots of players wore the World Cups. 

Marketing back then was more clear cut. It shows I can remember the model that players 15 years ago used to wear. There seems to have been a shift towards ergonomics recently with lots of boots going closer up towards the ankle.

I think I preferred it how it used to be in the early/mid 2000s. Marketing was fun, the boots were interesting and it sticks in your mind.

This is a cracking ad which to me ushered in that really interesting era of boot marketing from Nike and Adidas

https://youtu.be/F2q7703-IFg

I’ll wear whatever the ref was wearing 

when I first started playing  c 1958 I wore a pair of hand me down toe capped boots which I had to dubbin after every game !!  eventually got the traditional black boot when I was about 10 and just seemed to always wear the normal black boot till I was 32

3 hours ago, oldstandrobin said:

when I first started playing  c 1958 I wore a pair of hand me down toe capped boots which I had to dubbin after every game !!  eventually got the traditional black boot when I was about 10 and just seemed to always wear the normal black boot till I was 32

Only a few years after you my first few pairs were bought by Mum at the shoe shop in Staple Hill until I was old enough to buy my own boots from the sports shop by the Odean (name escapes me). 

Pleased as punch with my new Adidas Santiagos I was completely deflated when Dad exclaimed "£4 - for a pair of football boots?!" 

19 hours ago, redysteadygo said:

Still hanging up in the garage in case the phone rings at about 2 p.m. on a Saturday. It hasn't but I expect thats due to Covid and local games being off.

So I’m not the only one who took the “hanging up your boots” thing literally, then?

I never took much notice of what boots I was wearing, once I realised none of them could turn me into a decent player. But I can honestly claim that I last wore this pair playing at Ashton Gate alongside Scott Murray. He was our (superb) host for the morning when we hired the pitch in 2011 and insisted we all have an extra quarter of an hour after our game was finished, so he could join in.

B2FFFECD-6953-4644-80F5-53D1055A7638.jpeg

Archived