IGNORED

Djuric or Diedhiou?

WECANDO

It's one of those questions that makes no sense at all...it's a bit like when they say who is the best footballer of all time...which is defined by skill and goals...never defending, which is 50% of the game.

Both players have different attributes and strengths.

Imo, for all his faults, Famara has never been played to his strengths. He is actually a better player when playing deeper, not up front on his own as a target man.

You've only got to look at stat sites that give strengths and weaknesses on players. Biggest weakness given to Famara...'keeping hold of the ball, possession and passing'...yet we've played him as a target man...go figure the thinking behind that.

2 hours ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

Similar goal return. Torpey too had injury issues if I remember. 

If we are comparing “glimpses” only, Steve Jones or Famara Diedhou?

Haha, Steve Jones! I’d forgotten about him! Signed by Pulis (I think) for quite a lot of money for then (about 500k if I remember correctly) and looked overweight and completely useless. Then had a renaissance under Wilson, lost weight, got a tan, became more of a trier, and even earned a song that was belted out frequently. 

Difficult to compare Djuric and Fam. I always thought Djuric looked like a good player, and had he played more games and stayed longer I think he would have done well for us. 

9 hours ago, marcofisher said:

Djuric spent his whole career pretty much at Serie B level apart from one pretty insignificant season in Serie A for a smaller club and a short stint with us before returning to Serie B and never progressing further from there. In the many seasons at Serie B, he has only scored more than 10 goals on one occasion. That’s why he is now playing for an Italian club that most of us had never heard of before he signed for them.

Lets not pretend he was something better than he is. Famara has offered far more in his career in general and at Bristol City.

Ignoring the OP question, we paid £1.6m for this fella and then £5.3m on Fam....and the head-coach then wanted to play a system that revolves around busy-bees.

Eff me. ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️ Imagine how much we might’ve paid for Trevor Morgan in today’s money. ???

3 hours ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

Similar goal return. Torpey too had injury issues if I remember. 

If we are comparing “glimpses” only, Steve Jones or Famara Diedhou?

As per an earlier post Milan scored 6 (2 assists) in the equivalent of 14 games.

I don’t think he was a bad player at all on glimpses....but you can’t compare to FD imho because Fam has played 10 times as many games and MD is a small sample.

13 hours ago, steveybadger said:

Ah, the old ‘you become a much better player when you’re not playing’ phenomenom!

I’ve realised that as I’ve got older. When I look back on my youthful career playing in the local leagues I often think I was brilliant. Unfortunately, at the time, nobody seemed to agree 

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Another thing to consider is Djuric was mainly good off the bench.

He hadn't started many games, especially not starting weekend - midweek - weekend like Fam is now. Hard to really make a fair comparison if thinking of Djuric who we see coming on for 20-30 mins to Fam starting so many games in a row.

Many of the best moments from Djuric were off the bench. It gives him a big advantage to impress if coming on against tiring defences to try and get a winner or equaliser and we are gambling, pushing players forward, getting balls into the box and supporting him.

If Fam had mainly come off the bench then people would be seeing a much more fresh impactful player than the one we are currently seeing.

With Fam as an impact sub I am thinking 2 away WBA games, Man City in cup, Ipswich away 3-2 win. Wycombe, Huddersfield, Derby and Blackburn games this season off the bench. And other games too like Derby when he scored in 4-1 win and Blackburn 4-1 win, though we were already winning those games before he came on.

Djuric did it in games like Rotherham, Hull, Sunderland, Ipswich, Palace in cup, all good impact appearances off the bench.

No doubt he was decent in some of his 7 (I think I counted that correctly!) starts. I think I remember Djuric being very poor from the start in that terrible 2-0 loss at home to Fulham. 

And Preston 2-1 loss with Djuric up top from the start. Alex Neil even saying post match he was delighted when he saw the team sheet showed Djuric up top as he knew how to deal with him. He was brought off at half time in that game.

Obviously injuries played a big part in his availability. But I never really rated him other than him being a decent weapon to chuck on late in games. Poor signing imo.

10 starts, not that it matters ?

Comparing either is pretty futile imho. I wouldn’t have minded seeing a fully fit Djuric over a run of playing regularly over say a 10-12 game period.  I do think he had something.  Then again. I think Fam has something too....but there are reasons (???) we don’t see it often enough.

I think its fair to say that if you rate Djuric higher for about 5 games than Fammy then you don't value someone being fit all the time and scoring goals consistently season in season out.

Had Djuric of been fit for more than 5 minutes than who knows but looking at his record elsewhere it isn't favourable to the argument even then.

I remember talking to Jamie Mac at the gate after watching Durjic scoring a first class header to give victory. His comment was their is a footballer with a lot of promise. I agree with Jamie’s review he was not really given a chance even when fit like so many players who have been on city books. 
As for comparison with Fam all I can say is that Durjic would have been a better target man as the ball stuck. Unlike trampoline chest Fam ! 

Strange thread this one.

Anyway I'll derail it a bit as someone mentioned Trevor Morgan.

At an annual Shareholder's meeting someone asked Terry Cooper why he had sold TM.

His reply illustrates how different the game was then and also how we felt so involved with the club.

TC said that before TM joined City he had always lived in rented houses. City had quite a few players who had mortgages so TM decided to buy. Like most early mortgage holders money was tight in the first few years and interest rates were up around 7/8%. So he asked TC for a rise but was turned down. Remember this was a couple of years after 1982. So TC said if we got any offers for him, he would give him the opportunity to move and increase his income.

An offer came in and that's why and how Trevor Morgan left City.

He wasn't the greatest centre forward we've ever had but an honest give it everything player.

On 20/03/2021 at 07:52, WOODSY1111 said:

Only player i can remember us possibly comparing Fam to is Akinbiyi, Djuric very much like Torpey and both have the same lengthy time out with injuries. For the record I’d take Akinbiyi over Fam all day long.

I'd say the closest player to compare Fam to is Shaun Goater, but only in stature. Both are tall athletic players, but not target men. Both don't have lightning speed, but can run pretty fast. However, Goater was an out and out goal scorer and would put away every chance he had, unlike Fam.

Are we getting this wrong?

How many successful clubs now rely on "the big guy upfront"

When you have one you are always tempted to play long and with todays tactics where one striker up front has 3 defenders and a sweeper keeper for company it rarely seems to be effective.

For me movement is the key. Even though we have improved under NP compared to other teams our movement off the ball is poor. We are very rigid in our formation and easy to defend against.

15 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Are we getting this wrong?

How many successful clubs now rely on "the big guy upfront"

When you have one you are always tempted to play long and with todays tactics where one striker up front has 3 defenders and a sweeper keeper for company it rarely seems to be effective.

For me movement is the key. Even though we have improved under NP compared to other teams our movement off the ball is poor. We are very rigid in our formation and easy to defend against.

Arguably quite a few.. Lewandowski at Bayern fits the mould to an extent, Ronaldo at Juventus too. Ok, neither are giants like Djuric - but both are good in the air and strong enough to be an aerial threat. Apart from a few outliers like Messi, I would argue it's far less common to see typical diminutive "No. 10" type players (ie Zola) than big strong forwards in the modern game.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Arguably quite a few.. Lewandowski at Bayern fits the mould to an extent, Ronaldo at Juventus too. Ok, neither are giants like Djuric - but both are good in the air and strong enough to be an aerial threat. Apart from a few outliers like Messi, I would argue it's far less common to see typical diminutive "No. 10" type players (ie Zola) than big strong forwards in the modern game.

I would argue that both the examples you give are so much more than traditional target-men.  The trap that is being fallen into (imho) is taking height as a proxy for target man.

I’ve watched Maguire (PNE) act as a much more effective target man than players much taller.

Pukki

Joao Pedro or Andre Gray

Toney, is less than 6ft despite the hair!

Ayew and Lowe

Cauley Woodrow

Joao - v.tall but a technical player imho

Solanke

Kieffer Moore - the first player (8th placed team) where I’d happily accept he’s a target man in the truest sense

Akpom - yeah, physical striker

M.Smith - yeah when hecstarts

On 19/03/2021 at 23:29, Davefevs said:

I prefer not to answer, because I don’t think I saw enough of Djuric for me to judge.

I’ve seen good stuff from Fam in his time here too.  I saw encouraging things from Djuric, but he played the equivalent of 14 games.  I would’ve only been him in home games.

4F69B4DE-240A-4F13-8941-82B7071B0ADA.thumb.jpeg.273101f639e0036afde60ce7ea466f21.jpeg

He started his first 5 games when signing, then managed to start 2 consecutive games only once afterwards.

So, I’ll just sit in the “don’t know” camp.

That reply is worthy of a Liberal Democrat MP ... ??

On 20/03/2021 at 09:11, And Its Smith said:

It doesn’t bother me either way whether we agree on Djuric v Diedhiou.  It’s so clear that Diedhiou is better but not going to argue about it as what’s the point. I probably shouldn’t have commented without expanding but honestly didn’t think anyone would think it worthy of debate. 

Sorry on my username. Think you’ve mentioned it before. I rely on autocorrect due to dyslexia and it puts in things like apostrophes for me most of the time as I struggle with it. On the username it didn’t work. Someone highlighted it to me soon after, think maybe you, and I tried to change it but for some reason it won’t let me.  Hopefully you don’t feel the need to mention it again. 

I apologise for the part of my post that mentioned your username - I was wrong to pick you up on that and I am sincere when I say I’m sorry. There was no place for my comment on a forum such as this - I’m happy to partake in banter and passionate debate on matters surrounding our football club and the game in general, but I totally agree that it was unacceptable for me to include the error in your username in a post where I was disagreeing with your assessment on two players ... sorry again ...

Archived