IGNORED

Rotherham (H) - Sat 20th March 15:00 - Matchday Thread

"Stick your neck out" predictions  

183 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Good (very early) morning Ostriches! Once you wake up, get your head out the sand it's matchday!

Rotherham... For those who don't know have had another outbreak of Covid in the squad so before Tuesday had a two week gap in fixture so how much does form mean in this situation? They have an extra days rest on us, but like maybe half of them had Covid, so does that matter either? It didn't matter when we had an extra day vs Barnsley. So we don't get to complain or use it as an excuse IMO. their manager Paul Warne will be missing the game.

The first game we played against them this season was a sign of things to come.

image.png.dc15c0c14d7a6e5aaa635e3ae1aa0bb9.png

The first time? I think that's when the Honest Dean Holden moniker died for good.

They're good at set pieces (7th highest amount of goals). Using the horrendously unfair tactic of stacking their players, then running in different directions to confuse our poor brave honest lads! We're bad at defending them as we've the worst record of goals conceded from set pieces! But they're weak there too as they're in 3rd. We've been celebrating corners and shots this year, so it's no surprise we're 23rd at scoring from set pieces!

This is a game where it's important for each player and the team collectively to show they have the individual quality to beat a bottom team at home. I expect them to have a bit more spirit than Birmingham, if not more quality. I want people to show why they're good enough for next year.

And there's no way we lose 6 times in a row at home! ... ? ...

Kinda expect some changes. O'Dowda did the press conference and he's been very good against these low level teams. Also in central midfield we maybe have some competition with potentially Massengo, Lansbury, Walsh, Bakinson, Nagy and Vyner to pick from coming off a game where we had 26% possession. Does Fam get rested (dropped)? 

COYR!

4 hours ago, Prinny said:

Good (very early) morning Ostriches! Once you wake up, get your head out the sand it's matchday!

Rotherham... For those who don't know have had another outbreak of Covid in the squad so before Tuesday had a two week gap in fixture so how much does form mean in this situation? They have an extra days rest on us, but like maybe half of them had Covid, so does that matter either? It didn't matter when we had an extra day vs Barnsley. So we don't get to complain or use it as an excuse IMO. their manager Paul Warne will be missing the game.

The first game we played against them this season was a sign of things to come.

image.png.dc15c0c14d7a6e5aaa635e3ae1aa0bb9.png

The first time? I think that's when the Honest Dean Holden moniker died for good.

They're good at set pieces (7th highest amount of goals). Using the horrendously unfair tactic of stacking their players, then running in different directions to confuse our poor brave honest lads! We're bad at defending them as we've the worst record of goals conceded from set pieces! But they're weak there too as they're in 3rd. We've been celebrating corners and shots this year, so it's no surprise we're 23rd at scoring from set pieces!

This is a game where it's important for each player and the team collectively to show they have the individual quality to beat a bottom team at home. I expect them to have a bit more spirit than Birmingham, if not more quality. I want people to show why they're good enough for next year.

And there's no way we lose 6 times in a row at home! ... ? ...

Kinda expect some changes. O'Dowda did the press conference and he's been very good against these low level teams. Also in central midfield we maybe have some competition with potentially Massengo, Lansbury, Walsh, Bakinson, Nagy and Vyner to pick from coming off a game where we had 26% possession. Does Fam get rested (dropped)? 

COYR!

Rotherham a big , physical side who are good at set pieces and you ask the question ‘ does Famaral get dropped ? ‘ 

:blink:

Just now, old_eastender said:

Really hope Fammy is dropped. I'd put Wells central supported by Semenyo & COD wide, and Palmer central ACM.

I would too, with HNM and Lansbury behind them with a back four of Hunt, Kalas, Mapps and Sess

Pearson said there will be some changes so I am expecting COD to start together with a midfielder who can make better use of the ball when we are in possession so Walsh or Nagy in for Lansbury imo. Hopefully Wells down the middle and Fam on the bench to be utilised later in the game, if required.

45 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Pearson said there will be some changes so I am expecting COD to start together with a midfielder who can make better use of the ball when we are in possession so Walsh or Nagy in for Lansbury imo. Hopefully Wells down the middle and Fam on the bench to be utilised later in the game, if required.

Sorry missed this. That’s pretty much what I would go with! Maybe give Semenyo a rest too?

Rotherham similar to us - better results away from home.

I'd normally look at this as a draw given our dire home form, but Rotherham are struggling and probably can't wait to get to the international break. We have players who have something to prove to the new manager so I can't see this being a repeat of the Rotherham away game where it was a total capitulation and looked like men against boys.

I'd expect a few changes after NPs interview and, like a lot of others, would like to see Wells up top in place of Diedhiou. I'd be happy with just that one change.

Hopefully, a home win at last.

3 minutes ago, mozo said:

I'm not saying it will happen, but if we win today that would make it 13 points from 7 games since Big Nige was appointed which is promotion form. 

Long time since we've seen this (but I won't go back to 8 or 10 matches...);

Form: Last 6 matches

GP W D L GF GA GD Pts
1 Norwich City 6 6 0 0 13 2 +11 18
2 Barnsley 6 5 1 0 12 5 +7 16
3 Watford 6 5 0 1 12 5 +7 15
4 Bristol City 6 3 1 2 10 6 +4 10
5 Bournemouth 6 3 1 2 10 7 +3 10
6 Middlesbrough 6 3 1 2 10 7 +3 10
1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Same here, and it's nice to feel genuinely optimistic for once.

3-0 City.

I think, because even when we've been bad under Pearson we're organised and motivated, and if we're organised and motivated, we should have the quality to beat Rotherham.

Barring individuals making horrific errors.

The baseline performances under Pearson allows me to be at least optimistic going into a game.

2 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

We’ll win this 2-0. 
There - jinxed!!!!!!!

I don't know if it's the hangover, our home form or that we're going up against a team that's struggling (we have history of changing poorer teams form), but I think Rotherham could sneak this one.

There - double jinxed! (We'll win this now)

Rotherham have lost 5 of the last 6 matches and score slightly less than a goal a game, so I’ve gone for a 2-2 draw. The logic being form doesn’t always count for much towards the end of the season and this is the sort of match City usually lose. I’ve upgraded it from a loss to a draw due to the Big Nige influence 

5 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Rotherham a big , physical side who are good at set pieces and you ask the question ‘ does Famaral get dropped ? ‘ 

:blink:

Yep, why not, if you’re confident in your approach that “it’s about what we do” and you think your players can execute the plan.

If we can't beat a COVID stricken Rotherham then some serious questions will need to be asked but the performance is almost as important as the result.

I would be tempted to put Semenyo up top with Wells and play COD on the right.

I want to see grit, determinatiin, tough tackling and closing down quickly this afternoon.  Any passengers need to be disembarked.

Archived