IGNORED

Rotherham (H) - Sat 20th March 15:00 - Matchday Thread

"Stick your neck out" predictions  

183 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, Superjack said:

I didn't think it was that bad.

Thought we played some good stuff in the first half. Some short memories here I think. If you really thought that was bad compared to the dross under Holden then you are beyond help. We got done by a team doing what they do. Naive?.. yes.

Don't really think you can legislate for a keeper making such a ****wit decision to come for a high ball that he is nowhere near against a giant striker when his warrior skipper who wins everything in the air has just gone off. 

We would have won if that hadn't happened. 

Yes, we could have with one shot on target all game!

6 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

If I was NP, I'd be seriously considering other options at the end of the season and only stay if I was given cast iron guarantees of a large funding pot to spend.  The majority of this lot need sacking. I'm not sure any manager is going to be able to improve this lot to perform consistently.

Not a dig at SL though as I know he will only be able to invest so much, but if the plan is to rely on the free transfer market and persuading some of this lot to stay in order to have a squad then we're in big trouble.  I wouldn't blame Nigel for not wanting to stick around.  I'd happily let all of those out of contract leave.  

They're dead wood and have the wrong mentality. Like rot it's too far ingrained. Time to rip out the old timber and replace the lot.

Yep me too - he has a pretty decent managerial record and could well be sought after in the summer- not sure I would try and damage my credibility by trying to repair this shit show!!

12 minutes ago, Dan Robin said:

Call me anxious, but I'm still not 100% sure we'll stay up. If we lose at home against Rotherham, we can potentially lose many of the remaining matches. Other results are going our way but if some teams below us can find form...

Hello anxious

Incredible to think that those first 4 games are basically going to keep us up. Been such a poor season in so many respects but at least I haven't had to go and watch it. 

The hope was to return when we had a proper chance of top 6 and hopefully NP will provide that next season.

Only positive today is that we might have helped relegate Birmingham who I've never forgiven since late 90's when Peter Ndlouv dived for that penalty that sent us down.

8 minutes ago, petehinton said:

And what player is going to say anything other than ‘I’m fine’? It’s not their place to manage their own game time. Look at Nagy and Hunt the other week playing on with concussions.  It’s why we have a medical department and coaching team. 

True. The medical department and coaching team believed he was ready then. 

If there is any blame here then it’s to be towards them, not Nigel Pearson..which is how I read it.

Just can’t defend set pieces without Captain fantastic once Kalas went off we lost the plot or Bentley did. Lots of so called talented players with no ideas. 
Pearson has international break now to assess team and get them working for each other. 
Ashton needs to be put in his place and asked to but out of hiring players. 
Only plus today was seeing Sam Bell and Sam Pearson coming on and showing some passion 

3 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Yes, we could have with one shot on target all game!

Well, that's what we had under Holden pretty much every game. And we didn't have any of the attacking intent that we had today.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not happy, but under Holden and even the latter stages of Johnson, I would have been encouraged by a showing like today.

7 minutes ago, David Brent said:

If there is any blame here then it’s to be towards them, not Nigel Pearson..which is how I read it.

Oh no not at all, he will be guided by the medics for sure. 

15 minutes ago, Dan Robin said:

Call me anxious, but I'm still not 100% sure we'll stay up. If we lose at home against Rotherham, we can potentially lose many of the remaining matches. Other results are going our way but if some teams below us can find form...

no one below us is in any sort of form. It's not even birmingham in the last relegation spot. Coventry just drew with Wycombe, Preston lost, Derby lost, Forest drew. We are not going down, and for some reason people want to fixate on Birmingham when there's lots of teams down there' struggling. 

6 minutes ago, David Brent said:

If he was played before he was ready then the blame lies with all of the management team.

However, I doubt that was the case.

Cue now all the conspiracy theories that will no doubt appear on here as usual.

8 minutes ago, hertsexile said:

Just can’t defend set pieces without Captain fantastic once Kalas went off we lost the plot or Bentley did. Lots of so called talented players with no ideas. 
Pearson has international break now to assess team and get them working for each other. 
Ashton needs to be put in his place and asked to but out of hiring players. 
Only plus today was seeing Sam Bell and Sam Pearson coming on and showing some passion 

I thought Bell in particular showed more than just passion, good movement and ability.  Walsh and HNM were also positives. Bentley having one of his wobbles again. WTF was he doing when he came for that cross FFS.

20 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

A terrible performance again but for me we lack basic movement off the ball. There are no options for the player in possession. First half we just opted to play long hopeful punts from the back. We never take the easy 5 yard pass to keep possession. 

Our intended movement/passing is one that says we'd really love to be Chelsea.

The problem is that demands accuracy and control of the ball to score after 20 passes. We tend to lose the ball after 6 so chances never materialise. 

21 minutes ago, Superjack said:

I didn't think it was that bad.

Thought we played some good stuff in the first half. Some short memories here I think. If you really thought that was bad compared to the dross under Holden then you are beyond help. We got done by a team doing what they do. Naive?.. yes.

Don't really think you can legislate for a keeper making such a ****wit decision to come for a high ball that he is nowhere near against a giant striker when his warrior skipper who wins everything in the air has just gone off. 

We would have won if that hadn't happened. 

It is much better than under Holden. The players are now playing at their level, which is poor. It's not their fault that many are of L1 standard. 

Well that was poor, our age old inability to create anything meaningful in the final 3 comes back to haunt us plus being mugs when it comes to crosses and set pieces. Fammy total waste of space today, his game plan was essentially to end up prostrate at on the pitch with his hands in the air looking for a free kick on every occasion, to the point where the ref was never going to give it. We just can't seem to play against teams like this, most of the Rotherham players are 6ft plus, organised, physical and don't mind a fight, except for their keeper who just looks shit. They score first, take some time to reverse the bus into position, then job done. Bentley had a nightmare, at fault for both goals, the second one was disgraceful, one of the benefits of being a goal keeper is that you can essentially come through and take everyone out to get to the ball without fear of being penalised, he bottled it. Perhaps he's not fully fit, but O'Leary has done nothing to deserve getting dropped. The frustrations of being a city fan, plus my local offie didn't have Thatchers so ended up on Scrumpy Jack, all in all a shit afternoon.

37 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Giving O’Dowda a full 90 minutes in his third game after hamstring surgery. Mind blowing

You have to start him at some point.....admittedly how far into the game do you give him?  Walsh lasted 90 after 1 sub appearance.

If you were NP you might question either the Medical Team or the player (probably Med Team on outside view looking in).

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yep we should have been comfortably going in at 0-0 with having looked the more likely to score. But they didnt have to work too hard for the goal. A ball right all the way out from the touchline. Bentley horrible miss judgement.

Rotherham fouled us most times we were knocking it around in their half and we'd then put in a ball from a set piece. They'd take that all day long in hoping to keep us out. Frustrating.

But we did have some chances to break and messed them up. Palmer was poor first half I thought. Walsh and Massengo very impressive.

O'Dowda had  good first half, but we just didnt have that kind of threat on the other side. Wells just not a winger, though he worked hard and did some good things. It just isn't right though looking at it.

I thought we lacked movement in that first half. O'Dowda was mainly stuck on the left but without Sessegnon overlapping or underlapping.

Palmer didnt seem to be moving his marker around. Completely anonymous, except the odd time he got the ball where his touch and passing was off.

But certainly our midfield 2 looked very bright and I would say Palmer was the only player having a bad game in that first half. Well, maybe we can say Bentley too!

2nd half being 1-0 down and going 442 we struggled. O'Dowda was sloppy a few times but he did get beyond his man a few times and got balls in. Fam awful touch or shot from one, can't even remember what it was but it went back from where it had come from. Palmer did the odd good thing 2nd half from wide, but still nowhere near what I expect from him.

Fam and Wells is such a bad partnership. I didnt like seeing that 2nd half. Even if we were losing and struggling to create, I just don't think they work at all well together.

I was happy to see Fam come off but then look how bad we are on defending set pieces. Bentley save from free header, and the goal with Massengo and others you don't want in amongst a huge bunch of Rotherham players.

The balance is not right in the side. I think we have some very good players. Just need to get some points now to absolutely guarantee safety and build a side that works well together in the summer.

Baker back hopefully now with Kalas injured. Though hoping that Kalas injury is just bad bruising or something.

To be fair the true balance of our side would include players that have been out for so long. So its hard to really say how terrible our signings have been when so many key players been out for so many months of the season.  That will always be the biggest problem from this season for me.

Good post.

Archived