IGNORED

Rotherham (H) - Sat 20th March 15:00 - Matchday Thread

"Stick your neck out" predictions  

183 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

36 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Idk what to make of this team. Think it was just constructed poorly. Our only attribute it seems we have recruited for is honest lads. Lacks so much quality and not sure how to rectify that. You can throw Palmer in there all day but the teams needs more than that if it wants to be a playoff side.

Needs a major change in the summer and I am not sure we will have funds for what we need. IMO we need a top midfielder, top CB, top winger and top striker. We also need a fresh face at RB. Maybe Williams is the midfielder but we won’t know that until he plays. 

yep, because they weren't recruited to any semblance of a plan.

Having said that, you can still expect more from a set of pros.

35 minutes ago, Dan Robin said:

Call me anxious, but I'm still not 100% sure we'll stay up. If we lose at home against Rotherham, we can potentially lose many of the remaining matches. Other results are going our way but if some teams below us can find form...

We probably (almost definitely in fact) already have enough points to stay up. I think 46 will be enough. 

You won't get 10 teams find form to catch us. Coventry couldn't even beat Wycombe today.

For me, Tins picked up on the fact that we needed to go wide and play round them.

Palmer was marked out of the game, Massengo was good and I liked Walsh, Lansbury looked very good when he came on.

Our big problem today is we had no width and we don't have the wide players to play the system that Pearson wants.

Our problem is not in central midfield, its a lack of wide players who could have created chances today..

Just now, M.D said:

For me, Tins picked up on the fact that we needed to go wide and play round them.

Palmer was marked out of the gam, messing was good and I liked Walsh, Lansbury looked very good when he came on.

Our big problem today is we had no width and we don't have the wide players to play the system that Pearson wants.

Our problem is not in central midfield, its a lack of wide players who could have created chances today..

Maybe that's partly because when in a wide position with a cross on, players like Wells cut inside and lose the ball. 

34 minutes ago, petehinton said:

And what player is going to say anything other than ‘I’m fine’? It’s not their place to manage their own game time. Look at Nagy and Hunt the other week playing on with concussions.  It’s why we have a medical department and coaching team. 

It's a collective Pete.  You need the player to give you feedback too.  Not saying its all their decision.

This is not my view, but you could imagine a scenario where Callum was desperate to get 90 before the international break too.  We don't know the full details, but I suspect there's a portion of blame in many places from Med Team, Player and Manager.

2 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

We probably (almost definitely in fact) already have enough points to stay up. I think 46 will be enough. 

You won't get 10 teams find form to catch us. Coventry couldn't even beat Wycombe today.

Exactly, we won't go down, dare I say it we've too much quality and ability to put in a performance when needed. Hopefully this is just time for Pearson to come to his own conclusions on the players and put his plans in for next season. The biggest summer signing we can make is to keep hold of him.

40 minutes ago, Superjack said:

I didn't think it was that bad.

Thought we played some good stuff in the first half. Some short memories here I think. If you really thought that was bad compared to the dross under Holden then you are beyond help. We got done by a team doing what they do. Naive?.. yes.

Don't really think you can legislate for a keeper making such a ****wit decision to come for a high ball that he is nowhere near against a giant striker when his warrior skipper who wins everything in the air has just gone off. 

We would have won if that hadn't happened. 

We didnt look like scoring all afternoon so how on earth would we win that game. It was utter garbage against a woeful team.

2 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Exactly, we won't go down, dare I say it we've too much quality and ability to put in a performance when needed. Hopefully this is just time for Pearson to come to his own conclusions on the players and put his plans in for next season. The biggest summer signing we can make is to keep hold of him.

Agree, although today was first time I've felt frustrated by NP. Fammy has been poor for several games on a row and don't understand why NP picked him to start again, pushing Wells out of position on the right flank. 

Love to see the likes of Sam Bell getting some serious game time in the matches left.

13 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yep we should have been comfortably going in at 0-0 with having looked the more likely to score. But they didnt have to work too hard for the goal. A ball right all the way out from the touchline. Bentley horrible miss judgement.

Read my preview of Rotherham (a)!!!!!!

Rotherham fouled us most times we were knocking it around in their half and we'd then put in a ball from a set piece. They'd take that all day long in hoping to keep us out. Frustrating.

But we did have some chances to break and messed them up. Palmer was poor first half I thought. Walsh and Massengo very impressive.

O'Dowda had  good first half, but we just didnt have that kind of threat on the other side. Wells just not a winger, though he worked hard and did some good things. It just isn't right though looking at it.

I thought we lacked movement in that first half. O'Dowda was mainly stuck on the left but without Sessegnon overlapping or underlapping.

interesting you say "stuck on the left".  I might construe that as not giving passing angles, not coming inside, starting his position too high etc.  Pretty much stuck out their on the left second half too....and easily marked.  How does he improve his movement to allow Sessegnon to become more effective?  Is this another example of not being effective against opponents who don't give room?  A definite trend for me?

Palmer didnt seem to be moving his marker around. Completely anonymous, except the odd time he got the ball where his touch and passing was off.

He didn't.  But you see that as a reason to criticise KP, but don't see the same cause and effect in your para above. How does that work?

But certainly our midfield 2 looked very bright and I would say Palmer was the only player having a bad game in that first half. Well, maybe we can say Bentley too!

2nd half being 1-0 down and going 442 we struggled. O'Dowda was sloppy a few times but he did get beyond his man a few times and got balls in. Fam awful touch or shot from one, can't even remember what it was but it went back from where it had come from. Palmer did the odd good thing 2nd half from wide, but still nowhere near what I expect from him.

Fam and Wells is such a bad partnership. I didnt like seeing that 2nd half. Even if we were losing and struggling to create, I just don't think they work at all well together.

I was happy to see Fam come off but then look how bad we are on defending set pieces. Bentley save from free header, and the goal with Massengo and others you don't want in amongst a huge bunch of Rotherham players.

FD would be defending the near post area and they bypassed that by aiming back post.

The balance is not right in the side. I think we have some very good players. Just need to get some points now to absolutely guarantee safety and build a side that works well together in the summer.

Baker back hopefully now with Kalas injured. Though hoping that Kalas injury is just bad bruising or something.

yes, hopefully just enough to stop him going away with Czech Re.

To be fair the true balance of our side would include players that have been out for so long. So its hard to really say how terrible our signings have been when so many key players been out for so many months of the season.  That will always be the biggest problem from this season for me.

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It's a collective Pete.  You need the player to give you feedback too.  Not saying its all their decision.

This is not my view, but you could imagine a scenario where Callum was desperate to get 90 before the international break too.  We don't know the full details, but I suspect there's a portion of blame in many places from Med Team, Player and Manager.

image.png.5196b62c0f4b63d35c94916af7e6259a.png

image.png.91f6adc521cebb19881370337f77f786.png

I mean he seems very aware and not so desperate. So unless it's all a bunch of lies from him or Pearson, it's Med Team or pure bad luck!

Caus if everything is right, and it still goes wrong, you can't blame anyone, you just got to deal with it, and that's hard.

15 minutes ago, Super said:

We didnt look like scoring all afternoon so how on earth would we win that game. It was utter garbage against a woeful team.

Maybe because we played some good stuff in the first half that we could have built on in the second if the game hadn't been changed by the calamity before half time?

Or is that beyond your comprehension?

11 minutes ago, Prinny said:

image.png.5196b62c0f4b63d35c94916af7e6259a.png

image.png.91f6adc521cebb19881370337f77f786.png

I mean he seems very aware and not so desperate. So unless it's all a bunch of lies from him or Pearson, it's Med Team or pure bad luck!

Caus if everything is right, and it still goes wrong, you can't blame anyone, you just got to deal with it, and that's hard.

Thanks.  Yes.  Doesn’t seem desperate, was only suggesting that as a scenario.  Hopefully it’s not anything bad, just a tweak....or cramping.

33 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

yep, because they weren't recruited to any semblance of a plan.

Having said that, you can still expect more from a set of pros.

Agree. Its just weird to me because I like most of our players individually. Still not sure if we have a style of play or if NP is implementing anything. Tbf it would be tough to implement anything this season but not sure we can recruit properly if we don’t know how we want to play. 

Going to be a big shakeup in the summer, that's the only thing for certain here. I just hope Pearson doesn't give up on us! (Although I don't think he's the type to do that personally)

Sorting this club out is like turning a cruise liner around. Going to take some time and won't be instant.

12 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Maybe because we played some good stuff in the first half that we could have built on in the second if the game hadn't been changed by the calamity before half time?

I'd agree, on a zoom call with mates and we were saying if we'd have scored in the 1st 20 mins or so, it would have been a 3 or 4 nil game. We concede and we largely go to shit.

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Fam being in there would have helped in having one extra header of the ball in there. Even if he was front post it means maybe Massengo not being in there for example. It's a big problem us defending set pieces even with Fam in the side. Even weaker without him. Not saying he should be in just for that, but it is a part of us I worry about even more when he isn't.

Well I thought O'Dowda actually had a good first half on the left. Mainly sticking to the left trying to give us width. Like Tinnion said, that looked our main way of creating. 

Palmer could have had a good half himself had he moved his marker around. But I thought he was the weak link. And then maybe creating space for others like O'Dowda and Wells to come inside into a less congested midfield had he done so.

But also as Tinnion said a few times, Palmer drifting wide would have got him on the ball a lot easier. Maybe it was the instruction to stay where he was. But he struggled whether it was instruction or not.

Yep, good point, totally Agree with that.

3 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Seems like Nige is already planning the future. Some positives out of that.

I also noted, Ashton has been outstanding in his support.

Interesting times and the perfect opportunity for a good manager to assess and plan for next season.

The "ambition" line sounds promising.

1 minute ago, Gazred said:

Interesting times and the perfect opportunity for a good manager to assess and plan for next season.

If we make one contract extension let it be at manager. I've got nothing but good vibes about Nigel, I think him and us are the perfect fit. Both ambitious, he's local, we're a club that gives managers support and time. Madness to do anything else if he's interested which clearly he seems to be.

1 hour ago, Roger Red Hat said:

I would be seriously tempted to not play Fam AND Wells. So much breaks down when the ball gets to them. Fam's control is bad, and Wells is no better. I thought the movement from Sam Bell in particular was excellent, when he came on.

Agree. They are nowhere near a striking partnership. 

11 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Seems like Nige is already planning the future. Some positives out of that.

Whenever I hear Nige speak I feel reassured that he knows exactly what he’s doing. I’ve been a supporter since the 70’s and whilst I acknowledge that we’ve had some decent managers in that time, I don’t think I’ve ever felt that before.

I was a bit angry because our performance today was not really a surprise. We’ve all seen it so many times. After watching the interview I feel a little warm and fuzzy. Do I have a man crush?

29 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Fact is we never looked like scoring all game. We were never going to win that game.

14 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Unless there is a major falling out and that is possible.

Nige is going nowhere.

Archived