IGNORED

Pearson or Hughton?

Paul Cheesey

9 minutes ago, Paul Cheesey said:

The botched interview of Chris Hughton and appointment of Dean Holden has ultimately resulted in us having Nigel Pearson as manager, but who here would still have preferred Hughton as manager, or even though it has wasted yet another season are you happy with the outcome? 

Why do you describe the Hughton interview as “botched”?

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I think we're all happy BN, a well-respected, experienced manager, is finally here but that does not excuse last summer's shambles. Holden should never have got the job. 

I totally agree, the whole process was ridiculous! But going through that shit show has ultimately resulted in the appointment of Pearson. My question was, would you have preferred not to have had Holden appointed and Hughton as our current manager, or are you happy that we ultimately ended up with Pearson? 

6 minutes ago, Paul Cheesey said:

Something obviously went wrong and we ended up with Holden being appointed and everyone trying to convince us he was first choice.

Fair enough: but what went wrong may have been that Hughton botched it.

I don’t think you’ll get many people disagreeing that Holden was the wrong choice. But I don’t think it follows from that that Hughton was the the right choice at the time. The club clearly spoke to him and decided he wasn’t right. I’m prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt on that - they know much more than Indo about that conversation!

The most plausible explanation I’ve heard is that we weren’t impressed with anyone who was available at the time, and went for Holden as a short term to get through covid; accepting we wouldn’t go up, but also believing we wouldn’t go down. It was the possibility of the latter that was why we acted quicker.

And if I’m right NP had just had covid at the time of Holdens appointment, so many be was always in our sights but just not available, or too big a risk, at the time.

I'm sure if we tried for months to get Pearson and in then we ended up with Hughton 9 months later, I'd say yes I am glad we got Hughton rather than Pearson.

We went for Hughton and ended up with Pearson, and currently, I think Pearson is the better option.

Probably just my bias.

LJ shouldn't of got the job 5 years ago and neither should DH. We should of gone for Warnock and replaced when we got promoted. Another 5 years of wasted time. Atleast we've got a manager who now feels me with confidence that maybe some day take us to the promised land.

3 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Fair enough: but what went wrong may have been that Hughton botched it.

I don’t think you’ll get many people disagreeing that Holden was the wrong choice. But I don’t think it follows from that that Hughton was the the right choice at the time. The club clearly spoke to him and decided he wasn’t right. I’m prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt on that - they know much more than Indo about that conversation!

The most plausible explanation I’ve heard is that we weren’t impressed with anyone who was available at the time, and went for Holden as a short term to get through covid; accepting we wouldn’t go up, but also believing we wouldn’t go down. It was the possibility of the latter that was why we acted quicker.

And if I’m right NP had just had covid at the time of Holdens appointment, so many be was always in our sights but just not available, or too big a risk, at the time.

I think you are probably right, for what ever reason Hughton didn't fit, but ultimately we ended up with Pearson, and I for one are very happy about the end result.

42 minutes ago, Paul Cheesey said:

The botched interview of Chris Hughton and appointment of Dean Holden has ultimately resulted in us having Nigel Pearson as manager, but who here would still have preferred Hughton as manager, or even though it has wasted yet another season are you happy with the outcome? 

Personally I wanted Pearson in the summer so probably still would have chosen him. For no reason really other than the huge job he did and foundations he put in at Leicester 

13 minutes ago, Elruliri said:

LJ shouldn't of got the job 5 years ago and neither should DH. We should of gone for Warnock and replaced when we got promoted. Another 5 years of wasted time. Atleast we've got a manager who now feels me with confidence that maybe some day take us to the promised land.

What if warnock didn’t get us promoted? Big assumption

I was very happy when it seemed that Hughton was going to take over in the summer. However I am ecstatic that we now have NP. In my view both look equipped to get us into the premier league. The difference is what happens when we get there. I think Nige edges it there.  If he is given time and is backed appropriately I think he can turn us into a lower mid table prem team.

That said there is a chance it could all implode within 18 months. One thing for sure, it will be exciting and raises our profile in the national media.

Good question.

Last Summer I didn’t even realise Pearson was (or could’ve been an option). I was over the Moon when it looked like Hughton would become manager and equally disappointed when it became apparent it wasn’t happening.

Had Pearson been in the running last Summer then I would’ve been just as happy had he got the job. Both are excellent managers and I think both, if given the right tools, can make us proper contenders in the Championship.

Really hope NP stays beyond the end of this season and if he does I’m genuinely excited for next season. Love the fact we’ve got a manager who is very much respected by many in the game.

If I could swap Pearson with Hughton right now...I’d stick with Pearson.

29 minutes ago, Elruliri said:

So you wanted a manager to get us promoted so that you could then sack them?...

I'm going to guess you aren't responsible for recruitment with your current employer.

26 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

This will prove to be one of those “Sliding Doors” moments in our history: had we chosen Hughton we wouldn’t have ended up with NP and as a result our entire future changes.

I’m sure that it’ll change for the better and am very happy that our future has NP as part of it. 

Thanks Gwyneth!

I definitely prefer Pearson, in my opinion Hughton has had his best days already and past his peak now, NP hasn't lost any of his enthusiasm and is probably better now having learnt from past mistakes. NP is the first manager we've had that I think would be OK in the Prem (if we got there). I'm not saying LJ couldn't do it eventually but he would be on a steep learning curve to start with, we might see if he gets there with Sunderland.

It’s an imponderable question. We have no idea what kind of impact Hughton would have had had he been appointed.

So far Big Nige has certainly tightened things up and that in itself is quite an impact  I’m also impressed with his interviews. I love the way he considers his answers and is very candid with his replies.

I really like the way he conducts himself and gives me the impression that I’d like him beside me in the trenches 

14 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

So you wanted a manager to get us promoted so that you could then sack them?...

I'm going to guess you aren't responsible for recruitment with your current employer.

I kind of understand the thinking. Horses for courses isn't it. Cotteril is good in league 1 but for me not above that. Warnock in Championship but again not great above that although you could argue he had limited resources with the teams he took up. The dream obviously is to appoint an Eddie Howe who you don't need to change each time but there aren't many of those about.

Pearson is a more Bristol City manager than Hughton, a bit more up and at em, edgy a la Cotts, GJ, will say the right things about the club, city and fans as we all need to feel the love.

Hughton more reserved , nicer, polite so I know who Gregor would prefer.

Both equally great

Archived