IGNORED

Pearson or Hughton?

Paul Cheesey

personally i think we chose pearson but couldnt have him at the time,with the start of the season behind closed doors,it  was no big deal to run with holden until pearson could step in. i dont think holden was expected to get us as high up the league as he did and would have been cruel to sack him when we were in a play off place if pearson was ready to join.johnson was given far more time after bad runs so i think they were ready to pull the trigger as soon as things got dodgy

4 hours ago, Paul Cheesey said:

The botched interview of Chris Hughton and appointment of Dean Holden has ultimately resulted in us having Nigel Pearson as manager, but who here would still have preferred Hughton as manager, or even though it has wasted yet another season are you happy with the outcome? 

I don't think it is a case of  if we are happy with NP, although personally I am delighted, it is will he want the job.  When he fully realises how poor the squad is and the hopeless  performance  in the transfer market, I guess it will need a good offer with more control of signings to have a hope of keeping him. I am not sure this will happen. But truly hope it does. A full year of NP would transform the playing squad.

25 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Pearson through and through, a proper manager, knows how to influence players, played at the bottom end and managed at the top. Much more excited by his appointment. 

I agree. 

Even now it surprises me as to why arrogant Ashton and invisible Jon didn’t appoint an experienced manager with a decent CV in the first place.........:dunno:

1 hour ago, Redrascal2 said:

I don't think it is a case of  if we are happy with NP, although personally I am delighted, it is will he want the job.  When he fully realises how poor the squad is and the hopeless  performance  in the transfer market, I guess it will need a good offer with more control of signings to have a hope of keeping him. I am not sure this will happen. But truly hope it does. A full year of NP would transform the playing squad.

I am a bit more positive tbh as I think that the Owner had a huge wake-up call a couple of months back. Massive. Make no mistake if he hadn't brought Pearson in we would be bottom 8 and in a relegation scrap by now not to mention the fan feeling and the affect it would have had on season ticket sales moving forwards. I think SL will be doing all he can to keep Pearson here and if it means changing the structure a little bit to accommodate.......well the previous one was hardly a raging endorsement of his club was it? Lansdown HAS to get this right.

51 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I am a bit more positive tbh as I think that the Owner had a huge wake-up call a couple of months back. Massive. Make no mistake if he hadn't brought Pearson in we would be bottom 8 and in a relegation scrap by now not to mention the fan feeling and the affect it would have had on season ticket sales moving forwards. I think SL will be doing all he can to keep Pearson here and if it means changing the structure a little bit to accommodate.......well the previous one was hardly a raging endorsement of his club was it? Lansdown HAS to get this right.

I hope you are right. And I hope this time what Lansdown considers to be right is indeed right for the team and the massive improvement it needs.

Last summers debacle has cost us two years of progression. This season has been a total waste and NP will need next season to put his mark on the team before pushing on for the play offs the season after.

To answer the question NP as his teams play better football generally than CH's.

4 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

It worries me how little improvement there's been since he took over

Given we have an inexperienced and one dimensional squad full of crocked players what improvements were you expecting? I would say getting 10 points out of this lot so far is a good enough improvement.

4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Given we have an inexperienced and one dimensional squad full of crocked players what improvements were you expecting? I would say getting 10 points out of this lot so far is a good enough improvement.

I would have expected a team that's full of experienced players not to lose at home to a relegation-threatened side. Maybe that's asking too much

10 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Rome wasn’t built in a day AG.

Remember how bad it had got. NP has had 7 games. 3W 1D 3D with wins away at Swansea, Boro and Birmingham. 
In the 7 previous games we lost them all including the debacles against Watford, Reading and Barnsley.

2 minutes ago, HappyClapper said:

Rome wasn’t built in a day AG.

Remember how bad it had got. NP has had 7 games. 3W 1D 3D with wins away at Swansea, Boro and Birmingham. 
In the 7 previous games we lost them all including the debacles against Watford, Reading and Barnsley.

Fair point HC. I didn't say it had been a disaster, and I realise it'll take time. I'm just surprised that so early into NP's rein we've turned in a performance like we did today. (p.s. Not splitting hairs, but I'd argue that the Boro win can't be entirely credited to NP). 

19 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Don't worry. We have a totally imbalanced squad, a weak mentality and he's inherited it. After he's had time to shape the squad it's fairer to judge. 

"I would have expected a team that's full of experienced players not to lose at home to a relegation-threatened side. Maybe that's asking too much"

Is just a statement devoid of any nuance - obviously we want to win, but so do Rotherham. Let Pearson put his mark on the side then judge him. 

Just now, AshtonGreat said:

Fair point HC. I didn't say it had been a disaster, and I realise it'll take time. I'm just surprised that so early into NP's rein we've turned in a performance like we did today. (p.s. Not splitting hairs, but I'd argue that the Boro win can't be entirely credited to NP). 

The same players have turned these performances in for THREE different Managers. Guess where the problem lies......

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

The same players have turned these performances in for THREE different Managers. Guess where the problem lies......

R.

E.

C.

R.

U.

I.

T.

M.

E.

N.

T.

.......and that isn’t a cheap dig at MA, as NP would say it’s a collective responsibility.  It’s not just MA, it’s the analysts, the scouts, the head-coaches etc.

8 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

I agree to a large extent. I'd only keep one or two of the current squad tbh

I wouldn’t be keeping a huge number myself. These players have nailed their colours to the mast time and time again yet even now the first rumblings against Pearson have started. These poor players picking up their £15k per week and effectively putting in **** all of any meaning yesterday seem to be treated as the victims by our fan base. The sooner many of these jokers who put the shirt on are gone the better for me. In fact it can’t come soon enough in most cases.

These scumbags let down LJ, let down DH, guess who they will let down next when they get bored of him? Get yer broom out Nige and make sure it’s people who have a track record of recruiting for you in the past that identify the players we need........

7 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

I wouldn’t be keeping a huge number myself. These players have nailed their colours to the mast time and time again yet even now the first rumblings against Pearson have started. These poor players picking up their £15k per week and effectively putting in **** all of any meaning yesterday seem to be treated as the victims by our fan base. The sooner many of these jokers who put the shirt on are gone the better for me. In fact it can’t come soon enough in most cases.

These scumbags let down LJ, let down DH, guess who they will let down next when they get bored of him? Get yer broom out Nige and make sure it’s people who have a track record of recruiting for you in the past that identify the players we need........

You hit the nail on the head

On 20/03/2021 at 22:31, Davefevs said:

R.

E.

C.

R.

U.

I.

T.

M.

E.

N.

T.

.......and that isn’t a cheap dig at MA, as NP would say it’s a collective responsibility.  It’s not just MA, it’s the analysts, the scouts, the head-coaches etc.

I don't think Aretha Franklin will be worried about your follow up to 'Respect'.

Archived