IGNORED

What is the problem with playing at home?

On 21/03/2021 at 18:42, cidered abroad said:

Ashton Gate Ground, now poshly called a Stadium

Never liked the word Stadium being added - The Rovers' Ground was Eastville Stadium, no idea why City would think it a good idea to copy them.

9 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

The word Stadium is a relatively recent addition to Ashton Gate, and as stated above, one I don't approve of.

Hmmm.......The word stadium being added to Ashton Gate doesn’t bother me one bit. The word only describes what it is.

I daresay any away fan arriving at Temple Meads and sharing a taxi would ask the driver for Aston Gate and not even be aware of the word stadium in its title.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Hmmm.......The word stadium being added to Ashton Gate doesn’t bother me one bit. The word only describes what it is.

I daresay any away fan arriving at Temple Meads and sharing a taxi would ask the driver for Aston Gate and not even be aware of the word stadium in its title.

As I said Stadium was a Rovers thing from Eastville.

They inflicted it on the erstwhile Memorial Ground too.

I may be biased but to me 'Ashton Gate' is one of the finest names in English football, and required no additions.

If, as you slightly strangely say, it is so inconsequential that 'away fans would not be aware of the word Stadium', why would the club seemingly officially adopt it and impose it on us, the fans of the club?

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

As I said Stadium was a Rovers thing from Eastville.

They inflicted it on the erstwhile Memorial Ground too.

I may be biased but to me 'Ashton Gate' is one of the finest names in English football, and required no additions.

If, as you slightly say, it is so inconsequential that 'away fans would not be aware of the word Stadium', why would the club seemingly officially adopt it and impose it on us, the fans of the club?

It’s quite normal for the club not to take the fans into consideration when decisions are made so no surprises there.

So far I’ve not seen any official explanation as to why the word stadium was added but then it doesn’t bother me one iota.

If it bothers you then you could email MKelly  and ask him why and while your at it ask if the Dolman sound system has been sorted.

42 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It’s quite normal for the club not to take the fans into consideration when decisions are made so no surprises there.

So far I’ve not seen any official explanation as to why the word stadium was added but then it doesn’t bother me one iota.

If it bothers you then you could email MKelly  and ask him why and while your at it ask if the Dolman sound system has been sorted.

The addition of 'Stadium' was before Kelly's time, even before he was brought in at all, originally as the Catering Manager iirc.

It does bother me, as do other changes like the introduction of the technical area, pitch width reduction, silly handshakes before matches, lights left on in the stands, the goal nets being taut these days so the ball bounces out rather than the traditional 'net bulging'.

Pity ask SL isn't on here anymore or he could be questioned him directly on each issue, and other gripes fans have. I remember he agreed that the fashion for taut goal nets was reducing the spectacle for fans and soon after they were changed back. 

They've returned, seemingly permanently, in recent seasons so it seems he's not so bothered now.

11 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Never liked the word Stadium being added - The Rovers' Ground was Eastville Stadium, no idea why City would think it a good idea to copy them.

As I recall at the Muller Road entrance they had a big sign saying Bristol Stadium. Cheeky barstewards.

On 24/03/2021 at 17:14, Davefevs said:

I think sides like Brentford want far more than the role you’re suggesting.

What do you mean by a genuine three.  I can guess, but using the old Fulham 3 of MacDonald, Johansen and Cairney (as I know you’ve watched that a lot over the years), do you see him being able to play either MacDonald or Johansen’s role (and I don’t just mean position)?

The sides you mention do have a lot of the ball, but there is purpose with it.

As I said, I don’t think he’s a bad player at all, but nor do I think he’d get in the side at a Brentford, or Norwich.  You need an edge, he hasn’t got it imho.  He’s had good games for us, but not any I really marvel at.

I'd be interested to see how he would do slotting in at say Brentford with a 3, or Leeds in a certain role if they had played a 3.

By genuine 3 I basically mean 3 genuine CMs.

McDonald or Johansen? Yeah not as prolific as Johansen was, think the latter can shuttle forward and back a bit more and certainly scored some goals in 2016/17 and 2017/18- something Nagy can lack.

Agreed. Definitely you have to have possession with purpose.

Still think best suited to a 3, and if Williams was fit I wouldn't mind seeing how a CM 3 of Nagy, Williams and Walsh would get on- can have that extra bit of time or space in a 3, or it could just be a bit of a tactical blindspot on my part.

58 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'd be interested to see how he would do slotting in at say Brentford with a 3, or Leeds in a certain role if they had played a 3.

By genuine 3 I basically mean 3 genuine CMs.

McDonald or Johansen? Yeah not as prolific as Johansen was, think the latter can shuttle forward and back a bit more and certainly scored some goals in 2016/17 and 2017/18- something Nagy can lack.

Agreed. Definitely you have to have possession with purpose.

Still think best suited to a 3, and if Williams was fit I wouldn't mind seeing how a CM 3 of Nagy, Williams and Walsh would get on- can have that extra bit of time or space in a 3, or it could just be a bit of a tactical blindspot on my part.

I agree that he’s more suited to a three also, because that will compensate for some of his weaknesses....but I’d rather we have players in the squad we don’t have to compensate for.  As I said he’s not a bad player, I just don’t see him propelling us up the league.  Who knows, NP might get that upside out of him and we see a different player.  Great if so.

On 25/03/2021 at 09:52, Nogbad the Bad said:

That may be the case but City were still known to have one of the widest pitches in the league when I started watching a year later.

I remember LJ definitely had the pitch narrowed - presumably to better accommodate the tedious style of football he favoured - it was very noticeable at the start of one season that the action was further away from my seat in the Dolman.

Then you have the absurd and unnecessary introduction of the oversized 'technical area' which also impinges on pitch width.

I’ve thought this in the past too.

30 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

27 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Clear a lack of home crowd will hinder a home side- some in particular.

However goes deeper than that here, been an issue for 2-3 seasons now.

Ah but is this true:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/mar/31/football-teams-retain-home-advantage-no-crowd-study?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

On 20/03/2021 at 17:10, Robbored said:

Big Nige probably doesn’t know that and is basing his opinion on what he seeing - namely no fans. 

I’d have hoped he’d have taken the time to watch last seasons matches and looked at the W L D figures.

The home side are usually expected to put an emphasis on controlling the game and attacking while the away team sit tight and take any opportunities that come their way, set pieces , on the break etc as indeed we play when away, however we also appear to want to play that way at home as well , we just dont take that control of the game, we dont "take the game" to our opponents (half of our home games we have failed to score) the result being that the away team is always comfortable and always in the game.....the question is , do we play this way at home because it works fairly well for us away? Or is it because we just dont have the players to take the game to the opposition when they sit deep?

I just hope we can sort it out before next season because picking up away points is all well and good but strong home form gets the fans behind you and is vital for a sound base to build a top6 season upon....

Archived