IGNORED

Pearson post match interview

Ivorguy

1 minute ago, paul_fox said:

Yeah I can tell that he's not a great fan of the media but with it a big part of things these days it's just a little thing that I can see annoying fans. 

I suspect sitting on top of the table at this time next year with 80+ points no one would truly give a monkeys. Interviews are micro-analysed these days because currently we have nothing else.

26 minutes ago, Nuno Gomes said:

I am the only one still to be convinced by him?  Majority of posters seem to think he can do no wrong despite some mediocre results thus far.  
Tin hat on.

Since he’s appointed we’ve got 10 points from 7 games which is middling form and this with a squad that clearly needs a lot of surgery. He’s inherited a group of players that are dreadfully low on quality, if our efforts to win at home don’t tell people that then I honestly don’t know what they see. Why don’t you judge him when he gets a few of his own players in?

Who could we have got in at the time? Paul Cook? Not exactly tearing it up at Ipswich is he?

4 minutes ago, BRIAN WILSON said:

Interesting that NP mentioned this in his interview today, how our heads went down after conceding  - Just maybe a top Sports Psychologist should be employed by the club (sorry I don't know who currently has that position at the Club)

On this subject, did anyone hear Jerry Gill (Ex Yeovil) earlier on GT's show ? He mentioned this to great effect (quite interesting) with the current mentaility of the Yeovil team 

The rugby have been using Bill Beswick, a renowned sports psychologist who's worked with some big names in the past. Pat Lam namechecked him after their game last week to praise him for the work he's been doing.

That would have been on a consultancy basis so I'm sure the opportunity for him to work with City will be there if Pearson wants to use it.

42 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Don’t know about others, but he seemed to be thinking about next season in a positive way.

He clearly was frustrated with players today but not his style to say so

Good to hear he sees his role as problem solving because on the pitch, and maybe off it with the coaches, there are a number of problems to solve

I am sure he will succeed.  From what he said he clearly wants to be the man to take City up 

Enjoyed his interview despite the defeat. Thought it was quite clever. Ultimately needs the players on side for the remainder but I am already confident he know what he has to do for us to be successful. Don’t know how or why, but just got that impression. 

4 minutes ago, Prinny said:

So can he find talent, or can he find someone who can find talent? That's the crucial part. Keeps coming back to recruitment IMO.

Can he find talented coaches? Can he find players who are coachable? 

Turning our club into promotion candidates will require an entirely new team ethic comprising a squad of players with a winning mentality who will run through walls for him. Right now, we’ve far too few of them. 

1 hour ago, Nuno Gomes said:

I am the only one still to be convinced by him?  Majority of posters seem to think he can do no wrong despite some mediocre results thus far.  
Tin hat on.

You can’t polish a turd, Nuno. I’m of the opinion that many of this current squad need moving on in the summer and 12 or 13 new signings made. The key point is they need to be Pearson’s signings, not Ashton’s or his team of failing analysts. They, along with LJ and Holden, are responsible for assembling this gutless bunch which is bordering on a retirement home for players in their mid-30s. Until the recruitment issue is resolved, I fear we might be a bit handicapped. 

20 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Nor his coaching staff, backroom staff etc. The short term deal this season with NP was always about having a look at eachother and a feel for it.

Good point- I have lost touch a bit so can anyone confirm if he intends to bring his own coaching team in?

45 minutes ago, Nuno Gomes said:

Tin hat on.

No, you are not alone and I'm sure many others think the same but will not come forward. I do actually think he can do the job long term but understand your concerns. I think he needs to be told his tenure is secure for the future so he can stamp his mark on the squad.

8 minutes ago, tin said:

You can’t polish a turd, Nuno. I’m of the opinion that many of this current squad need moving on in the summer and 12 or 13 new signings made. The key point is they need to be Pearson’s signings, not Ashton’s or his team of failing analysts. They, along with LJ and Holden, and responsible for assembling this gutless bunch which is bordering on a retirement home for players in their mid-30s. Until the recruitment issue is resolved, I fear we might be a bit handicapped. 

Absolutely spot on 

27 minutes ago, Mr Yoda said:

Seems to me that he's written off the season now (rightly) and will be tinkering to test the players... some more than others. I'm still excited about the future.

Yes I think the rest of this season now is about NP having a good look at all the players and working out who fits in where, or more likely who does not fit in, with his plans for next season. I'm fascinated to see the comings and goings this summer; NP definitely has more pulling power for recruitment than any other manager we've had IMO.

53 minutes ago, Nuno Gomes said:

Tin hat on.

Don't you think this side will need a lot more than 6/7 games to put right?...... personally .I will start looking at his achievements around September time.  It is completely unrealistic to expect a sudden turn around when he hasn't even had an opportunity to bring in new players to replace some of our deadwood yet.  He is not a miracle worker?  ? 

7 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

I would think he knows he is staying from that interview, and whilst the challenge is huge, he will see the opportunity in having a lot of players out of contract that almost certainly with maybe one or two exceptions, he would not want anyway. So it opens up a lot of scope of change , and it seems the owner wants to back him. That will please any manager. Of the players under contract , he might have doubts about a couple, and may seek to move them on too. It will be a lot of change, and hard to quickly create a team , but we were getting progressively worse under the previous approach. Is he the right man ? Who knows, but he does know what he wants, and has experienced what we are trying to achieve. Whilst he says he is happy with what he has seen (generally) it would seem strange if a couple of people are not brought in on the coaching or recruitment side. Interesting 4 months ahead , but recruiting to a plan and sticking to it will be a massive step forward for the club. 

That's key for me. There is quite a lot of scope to move players out and bring his own in. If Pearson was going to be stuck with half these jokers who have lost six home games in a row for the next two seasons then I could easily have seen him saying "thanks for the Relegation Avoidance Bonus Steve, I'm off".

58 minutes ago, BRIAN WILSON said:

No, no problem at all AND you very much have a valid opinion which I think is partly based upon the fact that we have not had a manager of his ilk for a very very long time and that the current squad is not to his standard (my opinion)

Let us all hope that NP is with us for the medium to long term and given the opportunity to show his worth (like he has done elsewhere in the past)

Well said, Rob!!!

Tin hat on.

Many of us are delighted simply because Big Nige has a proven CV and is an experienced manager - something we’ve not had since the days of Danny Wilson - it’s real bonus to have guy like NP in charge at long last.

From what I’ve seen so far Big Nige spotted right away what City were lacking and that impressed me no end and he’s already begun to address those deficiencies and given time I’m confident that he’ll create a very decent and well organised team -the most relative work there is ‘time’..............:cool2:

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Many of us are delighted simply because Big Nige has a proven CV and is an experienced manager - something we’ve not had since the days of Danny Wilson - it’s real bonus to have guy like NP in charge at long last.

From what I’ve seen so far Big Nige spotted right away what City were lacking and that impressed me no end and he’s already begun to address those deficiencies and given time I’m confident that he’ll create a very decent and well organised team -the most relative work there is ‘time’..............:cool2:

Didn’t Cotterill have experience and a proven CV?

Tin hat on.

Obviously he’s achieved nothing here yet, so agree there is no need for the rose petals yet.

I think the difference is that his experience  and overall track record gives the majority hope that he has the ability to sort this mess out.

Dont underestimate what a mess this is. 

Tin hat on.

Prior to his appointment I suspect many/most on here were genuinely concerned as to where our next point was coming from, let alone a victory and that, if things continued as they were under Holden that we would quickly become sucked into a relegation battle.

With a squad devoid of confidence and unable to do even the basics to have managed 3 wins and a draw is way beyond what I thought  he would manage.

The home games show that there is a huge amount of work needed, but in some games there have been signs of improvement and individual players have shown some decent form despite some adverse results and less that convincing team performances.

I think his biggest challenge will be to change the mentality among the players, as there still seems  cary over from LJ’s time and the way we struggled to take the initiative in home games.

Well if he does stay he’s going to have a busy summer.  By my calculation we need two right sided full backs/wing backs, two 6 ft plus street wise centre backs, at least on left footed midfield and a target man striker who has the ability to hold the play up.  That’s just for starters.

2 hours ago, billywedlock said:

I would think he knows he is staying from that interview, and whilst the challenge is huge, he will see the opportunity in having a lot of players out of contract that almost certainly with maybe one or two exceptions, he would not want anyway. So it opens up a lot of scope of change , and it seems the owner wants to back him. That will please any manager. Of the players under contract , he might have doubts about a couple, and may seek to move them on too. It will be a lot of change, and hard to quickly create a team , but we were getting progressively worse under the previous approach. Is he the right man ? Who knows, but he does know what he wants, and has experienced what we are trying to achieve. Whilst he says he is happy with what he has seen (generally) it would seem strange if a couple of people are not brought in on the coaching or recruitment side. Interesting 4 months ahead , but recruiting to a plan and sticking to it will be a massive step forward for the club. 

Spot on.

I’m no fan of Ashton but thought that the fact he went out of his way to praise him & SL & Jon L suggests he is here for beyond the season.

It is a huge plus to have so many out of contract & team selection from here on in will be interesting as I can see those not being asked to stick around being excluded post international break.

Actually moving out of contract players on is the easy part, getting rid of any he doesn’t want who are under contract & signing replacements is the tough bit.

Archived