IGNORED

Pearson post match interview

Ivorguy

34 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Spot on.

I’m no fan of Ashton but thought that the fact he went out of his way to praise him & SL & Jon L suggests he is here for beyond the season.

It is a huge plus to have so many out of contract & team selection from here on in will be interesting as I can see those not being asked to stick around being excluded post international break.

Actually moving out of contract players on is the easy part, getting rid of any he doesn’t want who are under contract & signing replacements is the tough bit.

I couldn't help but think...hmmm... we've been here before, as in courting and making the new coach feel he's going to be backed. 

I cringed when he singled out MA as being ever so helpful and accomodating. Of course he will be...I can imagine his head is firmly up near his throat by now.

Actions will speak louder than words.

I just hope we don't get to a point where he signs up, based on promises, and then finds they backtrack. 

34 minutes ago, spudski said:

I couldn't help but think...hmmm... we've been here before, as in courting and making the new coach feel he's going to be backed. 

I cringed when he singled out MA as being ever so helpful and accomodating. Of course he will be...I can imagine his head is firmly up near his throat by now.

Actions will speak louder than words.

I just hope we don't get to a point where he signs up, based on promises, and then finds they backtrack. 

I cringed as well - a transparent attempt to reassure us fans that they work together in harmony - they almost certainly do but as with any pair of alpha males around there’s likely to be one or two problems up ahead.

Add to that the fact that Ashton and invisible Jon messed up first time around and ended up with egg of their faces just adds to the spice mix.......watch this space...........:cool2:

Not getting too wound up about the MA conundrum....don't forget he may not be here beyond the summer. GMG hinted as much last time he appeared on OSIB.

If he is then NP will have the final say. He was SL's appointment not MA's.

7 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

All this time under SL stewardship and Nige has inherited a shambles on and off the pitch.  not rocket science to see where the problem lies

If he doesn’t stay then league 1 beckons and even maybe ........

So you consider a recently redeveloped AG and the building of state of art training facilities as a “shambles?”

12 hours ago, Nuno Gomes said:

I am the only one still to be convinced by him?  Majority of posters seem to think he can do no wrong despite some mediocre results thus far.  
Tin hat on.

In not judging him either way right now, the whole "I have faith in him" or "I believe he's what we need" is a little premature for me. 

Results haven't been great but with the promotion push gone I think he's now testing the waters of who can do what for him, waiting to see what comes of certain contracts etc and it's in the summer my judgement will begin if he's still here. His signings and what they being to us will be my first point of interest and obviously then the first 10 games performances. If 10 games in we still look rocky and still don't show any kind of team cohesion I'll start to become critical but right now I think he's just using these games to test and assess. 

14 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Bit harsh...........who do you think are the most unbalanced players then ?

?

Agreed, poorly worded when I read it back. Unbalanced squad, largely though injury I guess I meant. Although we were unbalanced by having a load of players in one position and none in another sometimes. ?

I think the talk of us being a massive mess is overblown, it's not like we are Derby or Birmingham, if we're a massive mess I'm not sure how to describe teams like Sheffield Wednesday.

Don’t get me wrong, Nige (or next seasons manager) has a job to do but it's 6 ish players not 11/12 and there will be room to do that because of the players leaving, it's a sound infrastructure with the stadium and training facilities, there are some tweaks to the backroom staff (eg medical) that are required.

No manager ever walks into a perfect team and backroom staff but ours is relatively ok IMO.

Found NPs reference to the Lansdown’s and in particular, Mark Ashton at the end of the interview a bit strange! It was almost as if, he felt the need to mention the support he’s had ?‍♂️

Just hope that City confirm NP ASAP as otherwise, there’s always the potential that someone else eg Sheff Utd come in for him....

Just imagine NP going to Sheff Utd, only for us to end-up with Ashton’s mate, Appleton! ?

As others have said, expect announcement just before ST sales start......likely to be in April?

13 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

Found NPs reference to the Lansdown’s and in particular, Mark Ashton at the end of the interview a bit strange! It was almost as if, he felt the need to mention the support he’s had ?‍♂️

Just hope that City confirm NP ASAP as otherwise, there’s always the potential that someone else eg Sheff Utd come in for him....

Just imagine NP going to Sheff Utd, only for us to end-up with Ashton’s mate, Appleton! ?

As others have said, expect announcement just before ST sales start......likely to be in April?

Sheffield Utd want to operate with a head coach and DoF, not a manager. It's one of the reasons Wilder left. NP, as we've been told by him, is a manager that coaches.

I think he's probably already worked out the changes required to the squad. I disagree that we need a general clear out, we have some good players but are lacking particular qualities, specifically more height and some mentally stronger leaders on the pitch. I think we've not been the same since Brownhill left, he held things together when we were losing games, we need to replace him and need a couple of taller defenders (I'm assuming we won't keep Baker because of his injury record) and also a replacement for Diedhiou with some height.

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

So you consider a recently redeveloped AG and the building of state of art training facilities as a “shambles?”

By off the pitch my reference was to coaching, scouting, and medical team.

As you raise issue of redeveloped Ashton Gate, forgive me but it lacks atmosphere, lots of blue and rugger stuff in concourse.  It reeks to me of corporatism.

1 hour ago, Pezo said:

I think the talk of us being a massive mess is overblown, it's not like we are Derby or Birmingham, if we're a massive mess I'm not sure how to describe teams like Sheffield Wednesday.

Don’t get me wrong, Nige (or next seasons manager) has a job to do but it's 6 ish players not 11/12 and there will be room to do that because of the players leaving, it's a sound infrastructure with the stadium and training facilities, there are some tweaks to the backroom staff (eg medical) that are required.

No manager ever walks into a perfect team and backroom staff but ours is relatively ok IMO.

I agree.  It’s far from perfect, and as you say it’s about getting 5 or 6 better than what we have.  We need a trimmer squad.  Comes to something when we have a 25 man squad listed....

DFC599AE-0B49-4054-B4F4-BE3D7E5EF64C.thumb.png.6c856a274190bbd1a5e846c82d67633d.png

...that doesn’t include Weimann and Pring (over 21s), nor the u21s of Massengo and Semenyo....

D6D34691-E628-4C69-8838-BAB567B49235.thumb.png.f2b7c0fa315def94e5818ff9d2dffcc9.png

....yet we are talking about bringing in Danny Simpson (34) and asking for special dispensation from the EFL to remove someone from the list to accommodate him.  Squad wise, our numbers are the highest in terms of fit players for months.

So, imho we have numbers, we need quality.

19 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

By off the pitch my reference was to coaching, scouting, and medical team.

As you raise issue of redeveloped Ashton Gate, forgive me but it lacks atmosphere, lots of blue and rugger stuff in concourse.  It reeks to me of corporatism.

So you  consider the coaching, scouting and medical team to be a “shambles”. What is your opinion actually based on?  

Do you have any hard evidence to support your claims? If you have please share it with us.

2 hours ago, Pezo said:

Exactly. Aside from the relegated Prem sides, any job he would take at this level would require an element of rebuilding. At this level there's always a reasonable amount of tweaking and churn required, especially when you have different managers with different styles.

I understand yesterday was disappointing, but Rotherham aren't going to roll over and give us the win. They executed their game plan and beat us. It happens, ok a few too many times in recent years, but at this level you will lose games you expect to win against attritional teams. 

People enjoy morbidly predicting he's not going to stay and we will spiral into disaster, but I am not sure he has said anything to indicate he has any other plans for next season beyond managing us. Everything he has said about staying on has been a positive.

1 minute ago, LoyalRed said:

So basically NP wants to stay, the fans want him to stay, the club wants him to stay but the main factor will be “cost”

Cost of what? We already have Pearson here so it's not coach salary. Pearson wouldn't have come if we were only able to promise him a pittance to spend in summer windows. Saying it's 'cost' is just wild speculation ( @Robbored)

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Cost of what? We already have Pearson here so it's not coach salary. Pearson wouldn't have come if we were only able to promise him a pittance to spend in summer windows. Saying it's 'cost' is just wild speculation ( @Robbored)

The cost of keeping him here “wages” for a contract of possibly 3 years.  The cost of not letting our best players go and actually challenge for the premiership rather than selling short.  Pearson will want to build a team that will challenge for the premiership.    There is always a cost.

3 minutes ago, LoyalRed said:

The cost of keeping him here “wages” for a contract of possibly 3 years.  The cost of not letting our best players go and actually challenge for the premiership rather than selling short.  Pearson will want to build a team that will challenge for the premiership.    There is always a cost.

Wages obviously not an issue as he's already here. His new contract will be a continuation of his current terms with likely bonuses for promotion or cup progress.

The selling of assets is a concern given our history, but I can't see us appointing Pearson and adhering to the same strategy so rigidly. Also, it helps that we don't really have any 'assets' in the same way we have in recent years. 

Of course Pearson will want to build a team, but he wouldn't have taken the job even on a short contract if he wasn't going to be able to do that. These conversations will have already happened. Pearson isn't naïve, he won't walk into a job without checking if he will be given the correct tools.  

51 minutes ago, LoyalRed said:

So basically NP wants to stay, the fans want him to stay, the club wants him to stay but the main factor will be “cost”

Now we really get to see MA's use, paraphrasing MA " the wrong appointment is the most expensive appointment" 

17 hours ago, BRIAN WILSON said:

Interesting that NP mentioned this in his interview today, how our heads went down after conceding  - Just maybe a top Sports Psychologist should be employed by the club (sorry I don't know who currently has that position at the Club)

On this subject, did anyone hear Jerry Gill (Ex Yeovil) earlier on GT's show ? He mentioned this to great effect (quite interesting) with the current mentaility of the Yeovil team 

That's quite worrying when we conceded on the stroke of half-time.

All the excuses being rolled out for him, is there a reason they could not be used for holden as well? It was hardly his squad (very few signings) the coaches were not his choice and he was decimated through injuries. Add to that he was not backed by the slime ball or the messiah and he probably has more reason to excuses than pearson!

13 minutes ago, frenchred said:

All the excuses being rolled out for him, is there a reason they could not be used for holden as well? It was hardly his squad (very few signings) the coaches were not his choice and he was decimated through injuries. Add to that he was not backed by the slime ball or the messiah and he probably has more reason to excuses than pearson!

Not excuses just facts. Holden had a transfer window and was allowed to spend, Pearson hasn't. We don’t know the coaches weren’t his choice. 

Archived