IGNORED

Pearson post match interview

Ivorguy

3 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

As you raise issue of redeveloped Ashton Gate, forgive me but it lacks atmosphere, lots of blue and rugger stuff in concourse.  It reeks to me of corporatism.

Maybe you should pop over to the Mem, if old-fashioned grounds are your thing.

19 hours ago, BRIAN WILSON said:

Interesting that NP mentioned this in his interview today, how our heads went down after conceding  - Just maybe a top Sports Psychologist should be employed by the club (sorry I don't know who currently has that position at the Club)

On this subject, did anyone hear Jerry Gill (Ex Yeovil) earlier on GT's show ? He mentioned this to great effect (quite interesting) with the current mentaility of the Yeovil team 

I’m just watching the build up to the Bears match. They said the top sports psychologist ( didn’t catch his name) who had previously worked with Alex Ferguson had been working with the Bears as they had been working at BCFC.

40 minutes ago, frenchred said:

All the excuses being rolled out for him, is there a reason they could not be used for holden as well? It was hardly his squad (very few signings) the coaches were not his choice and he was decimated through injuries. Add to that he was not backed by the slime ball or the messiah and he probably has more reason to excuses than pearson!

You are correct in that the Owner and CEO ruined this season. Holden’s main problem was his huge and obvious inexperience and at the end of his tenure we were getting humiliated not just beaten by teams. If he stayed we would be bottom 8 by now and looking over our shoulders, that’s the difference. The other difference is that Holden, along with Johnson, McAllister and Ashton were directly responsible for assembling a squad that is, let’s face it, a bang average group who also have the cheek to down tools when it suits them.

2 hours ago, SecretSam said:

Maybe you should pop over to the Mem, if old-fashioned grounds are your thing.

It is not the age of the ground but the fact that it is Bristol Sport’s ground not City’s, and I believe at a future point may well prove our Achilles heel.

I'm absolutely happy with Nige assessing  the current squad and deciding who is good enough and who is not. 

The big question still, for me, is whether he'll be allowed to do this without unnecessary interference from others, and regardless of who, amongst our current "stars" he may want to release.  

As regards recruitment, again he needs to be the clear decision maker, with SL willing to back him with the necessary funds. 

(Yes thanks I'm aware of the current pandemic and appreciate that it's not my money that would be being spent). 

1 hour ago, Ivorguy said:

It is not the age of the ground but the fact that it is Bristol Sport’s ground not City’s, and I believe at a future point may well prove our Achilles heel.

Good god man . The ground isn’t owned by Bristol sport. If you’re going to have a pop at it, which constantly do , then at least educate yourself.

4 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Good god man . The ground isn’t owned by Bristol sport. If you’re going to have a pop at it, which constantly do , then at least educate yourself.

I think you need to look at the legal and company structure of Bristol Sport.

OK I know I am in a minority concerned with longer term impact of BS on City.  Truly hope I am wrong, but if I am right probably won’t be around to see it anyway.  But can’t help caring about City in 25 years time.

7 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

Thanks Dave.

I don't know how so many people seem to forget that BS aka SL own 100% of everything.

Bristol City Football Club pay RENT to play at AG.

Maybe this should be pinned, as you'll be posting it again in 3 days.

We all know that . What @Ivorguy keeps banging on about is that bristol sport is the route of all evil & controls everything . Most of us know it’s a company that deals with ticketing /corporate etc . He also keeps telling us that BCFC doesn’t own the ground. Well , no football club owns their ground directly anymore & haven’t done for many years . They’re all owned by umbrella company’s 

4 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

We all know that . What @Ivorguy keeps banging on about is that bristol sport is the route of all evil & controls everything . Most of us know it’s a company that deals with ticketing /corporate etc . He also keeps telling us that BCFC doesn’t own the ground. Well , no football club owns their ground directly anymore & haven’t done for many years . They’re all owned by umbrella company’s 

You miss the point, I feel.  When the Lansdowns sell up it is very unlikely that Bristol  Sport will be bought as a whole, unless there is some form of community purchase, highly unlikely.  In which case City as a football club could be in difficulties as dismantling the BS model would be very tricky.  That is the simple point I am making. That is my fear.  You are, of course, entitled to hold the opposite point of view.  Only through debate are issues clarified.

On 20/03/2021 at 18:32, LondonBristolian said:

He’s not had a transfer window, he’s had a lot of injuries and he inherited a team bereft of ideas and confidence. Mediocre results are a massive improvement on what we had at the end of Holden’s reign.

He has impressed me with interviews and with moments where our football has clearly worked under him. But Gary Johnson lost several in a row when he first took over and Cotts had up and down results in his first half season. For me, this season was always about him assessing the squad and working out what is needed rather than expecting a spectacular upturn in form.

My perception is he is providing leadership and starting to unpick the problems and weaknesses. If he stays - and I very much hope he does - next season is when I will be judging on results.

In fairness (to Big Nige) if he stays it would be 'unfair to place high expectation upon his broad shoulders of a top six finish next season..

We should allow him a year to sort through the mess,,do a few 'tip runs & define the shape/style......

7 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

Thanks Dave.

I don't know how so many people seem to forget that BS aka SL own 100% of everything.

According to that diagram, Pula Ltd own everything

1 hour ago, Ivorguy said:

You miss the point, I feel.  When the Lansdowns sell up it is very unlikely that Bristol  Sport will be bought as a whole, unless there is some form of community purchase, highly unlikely.  In which case City as a football club could be in difficulties as dismantling the BS model would be very tricky.  That is the simple point I am making. That is my fear.  You are, of course, entitled to hold the opposite point of view.  Only through debate are issues clarified.

Surely it should be “if” the Lansdowns sell up? Not “when”?

No owners are perfect but this seems highly unlikely for the very long term to me, I have no idea how old Jon is, possibly 35?

But I don’t see the family looking to sell for as far into the future as it is possible to see.

12 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

Thanks Dave.

I think you will find it is PULA, aka SL, who own everything.

Ah.

As indicated by @SecretSam and subsequently confirmed by @Davefevs

6 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

But all those company’s are owned by pula ltd not bristol sport which in itself is owned by pula, the umbrella company . I understand your concerns RE future sales of the club/ clubs . I’m certainly no financial expert but thankfully SL is , so I’m sure a plan is in place. 

9 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

But all those company’s are owned by pula ltd not bristol sport which in itself is owned by pula, the umbrella company . I understand your concerns RE future sales of the club/ clubs . I’m certainly no financial expert but thankfully SL is , so I’m sure a plan is in place. 

Bristol Sport appears to be a small part of the jigsaw.

Incidentally, the hiving off of Ashton Gate from the Football Club happened long before SL arrived.

23 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Bristol Sport appears to be a small part of the jigsaw.

Incidentally, the hiving off of Ashton Gate from the Football Club happened long before SL arrived.

It is.  It files its annual accounts under the Small Business exemption.

Common confusion is between Bristol Sport - the business (v.small) and Bristol Sport - the brand....two very separate things!

14 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

Thanks Dave.

You can call it rent if you wish.

I prefer to regard it as the BCFC share of the costs of non football items. Bristol Bears will also make similar payments.

Stadium maintenance including pitch, Ticket Sales, medical costs and there may be other costs that I can't think of now.

I assume that these costs may be allowable under FFP. Every other club in the country have these costs.

And once and for all. The stadium has been owned by a separate company since approx 1983. Des Williams, the Bristol City chairman at the time, just after the horrid events of 1982, did this to safeguard the stadium from any future bankruptcy of the Football club. It's comparatively easy to set up a new football company but if the stadium is gone, where the hell do you get another stadium in BS3 or anywhere in or near Bristol. Think back to how the Gas couldn't get one built anywhere while they were at Bath, so they ended up stealing the Mem from Bristol Rugby!

@The Constant Rabbit

On 22/03/2021 at 09:15, GrahamC said:

Surely it should be “if” the Lansdowns sell up? Not “when”?

No owners are perfect but this seems highly unlikely for the very long term to me, I have no idea how old Jon is, possibly 35?

But I don’t see the family looking to sell for as far into the future as it is possible to see.

That's what I've been saying GC; Surely a high probability that Jon will want control of the family business. All this selling up talk is hypothetical and in my mind unlikely.

Edit: wouldn't be surprised if he practices by owning an MLS team (via Pula) until pops is ready to step away.

1 hour ago, mozo said:

That's what I've been saying GC; Surely a high probability that Jon will want control of the family business. All this selling up talk is hypothetical and in my mind unlikely.

Edit: wouldn't be surprised if he practices by owning an MLS team (via Pula) until pops is ready to step away.

I wonder if SL is wondering whether his son is right to take over ownership.

Complete speculation, but the house-build in Bermuda might see JL completely relocate their.  I believe the original quote was “JL in Bermuda for personal reasons”, not business reasons.  I believe that he and his family already have a presence there.

It wouldn’t surprise me if SL is gearing up to sell-up in the next 5 years.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I wonder if SL is wondering whether his son is right to take over ownership.

Complete speculation, but the house-build in Bermuda might see JL completely relocate their.  I believe the original quote was “JL in Bermuda for personal reasons”, not business reasons.  I believe that he and his family already have a presence there.

It wouldn’t surprise me if SL is gearing up to sell-up in the next 5 years.

I have thought this as well, not sure that Steve would trust his son withe the empire and would sell up when the time is right..

Archived