IGNORED

Am I the only one in here.....

Colombo Robin

7 minutes ago, Colombo Robin said:

Plenty worse things in life to want to disappear than a football club just because they are from the same city

I agree, but we're talking football here. We'd be better off in a one club city. They add nothing. 

49 minutes ago, redordead1 said:

Would love the derby to come back.

Football is so sanitised now, what’s the point unless it gets the raw emotions going?

Can’t stand them, but nothing compares to a proper derby.

I understand what you say. The TV commentator described how the despite no fans, both sets of players were going for it in the Swansea v Cardiff game today.

As an aside; there were some useful looking players in that game; Aden Flint, Marlon Pack and Korey Smith.

I still prefer though, for City to be at least one division above them. Ask a gashead and they'd prefer to be above City than play us.

There are two things here- missing the derby games against Rovers, is very different to missing the atmosphere of the games against Rovers.

While the former will one day come around again, those atmospheres against Rovers are gone forever I think.  Just ask any Cardiff/Swansea fan what their games are like now - sanitised to the max, lunchtime kick offs, bussed in off a motorway junction etc etc. Rovers would be given 2,000 tickets and there would be massive segregation in the ground.

While I absolutely hated those games in the late 80s and through the 90s (and the JPT game) they are also some of my best memories in following City - good and bad. 

Those caustic, edgy atmospheres, the build up in Evening Post all week, police helicopters, Beadles double against us in 1996 , the 1997 riot and Agostinos goals, winning 4-2 at Twerton, Holloways penalty miss, Donowas goal (my mate reckon he heard the roar in Long Ashton!), that 3-2 win on Sky just before Xmas, the game cold off because of freezing rain, and to their credit 5,500 gasheads in the East End all played a part in that.

As I said great memories, but the way football has gone in the last 5 years I am just glad I experienced it.

1 hour ago, Colombo Robin said:

....who would actually like Rovers to get promoted? I miss proper meaningful Bristol derbies. I expect the usual gas bashing in the comments but genuinely interested in peoples thoughts on this one

Not until we get our home form sorted, could be very embarrassing.

50 minutes ago, marmite said:

I'm City through and through  but a Premiership Bristol derby would be great for this region. Never happen in my lifetime though. I'm over 70 now.

Me too "M", we can only dream now, winning the next home game could be our highlight.

1 hour ago, Red Exile said:

I agree, but we're talking football here. We'd be better off in a one club city. They add nothing. 

It’s worse than nothing, they’re parasites.

The media still always use the misleading phrase the red “half” of Bristol.

It hasn’t been true for many, many years.

If they folded this myth would go too, I would be very happy to never play them again.

1 hour ago, AG City said:

There are two things here- missing the derby games against Rovers, is very different to missing the atmosphere of the games against Rovers.

While the former will one day come around again, those atmospheres against Rovers are gone forever I think.  Just ask any Cardiff/Swansea fan what their games are like now - sanitised to the max, lunchtime kick offs, bussed in off a motorway junction etc etc. Rovers would be given 2,000 tickets and there would be massive segregation in the ground.

While I absolutely hated those games in the late 80s and through the 90s (and the JPT game) they are also some of my best memories in following City - good and bad. 

Those caustic, edgy atmospheres, the build up in Evening Post all week, police helicopters, Beadles double against us in 1996 , the 1997 riot and Agostinos goals, winning 4-2 at Twerton, Holloways penalty miss, Donowas goal (my mate reckon he heard the roar in Long Ashton!), that 3-2 win on Sky just before Xmas, the game cold off because of freezing rain, and to their credit 5,500 gasheads in the East End all played a part in that.

As I said great memories, but the way football has gone in the last 5 years I am just glad I experienced it.

This is how i feel. Football has changed so much in the last 30 years that i don't actually feel a Bristol derby would have the same feeling as it did in the 80's and 90's. 

The intensity and rivalry back then would build up 2 weeks before the game and i felt myself shaking on derby day!

Maybe it's covid or my age but i just don't think i'd feel that now.

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

I’d much rather Forest Green, Cheltenham and Yeovil work their way up through the leagues and have local ish derbies with them. The away matches would be much more enjoyable 

Not quite the same 'edge' Pongo but I get the point.

Been there done it as far as Bristol derbies are concerned. Not remotely fussed if I never see another one. As said, by Edgy, I don't think it would be the same anyway given how football has become so sanitised since we played them in the league.

I'll stick with the memories, both good and bad.

They’re still dinning out on that JPT semi about 15 years ago. Absolutely **** em, if we played them in the league it would be ‘Pantsdown has spent all the millions and you’re no better than us etc’ -they’re unbearable, I remember the early 90s and I’d rather not revisit it (other than for the music.. )

Got some very good and extremely bad memories from playing them, if we were to play them in the foreseeable it would mean us dropping a division so it's a no from me. "1 nil down 2-1 up, we knocked Rovers out the cup" will never be forgotten tho ?

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

It’s worse than nothing, they’re parasites.

The media still always use the misleading phrase the red “half” of Bristol.

It hasn’t been true for many, many years.

If they folded this myth would go too, I would be very happy to never play them again.

This really bugs me too. It must be 2/3rds red at least. 

I just hate these unsporting threads.

Glad I am old enough to remember the time that altho you were red or blue you supported the other colour when they weren’t playing your team

Great days in a sporting city of the 1950s, now all we have is the horror of being part of Bristol Sport

Omg what are half of you on about.

The best atmospheres are all about edge between the teams/fans.

I love the Bristol Derby saw my first in 1974 I think and have never missed one.

I would love Rovers to be in the same league as us(premiership )preferably,the build up to those games ,the atmosphere,and then the elation/disappointment afterwards were all part of life’s rich tapestry.

Jeez City v Rotherham or City vRovers,no contest any day of the week.

You are in a minority.

No thank you.

We've moved on so much as a club both on and off the pitch with a redeveloped state of the art stadium, brand new training complex, multi million pound transfer dealings, a stadium successfully staging high profile concerts, whereas they have stood still (In the 1970's like most of their diminishing fan base) or gone backwards to such an extent that they are just a laughing stock joke of a club (relegated out of the Football League by a team wearing their own kit, a ram shackle outdated rugby ground with numerous tents, a Cricket Pavillion and a garden shed on top of numerous pipe dream stadium announcements. Football has changed so much.

The only connection between the two clubs is the city they both play in. You might as well ask Spurs fans if they miss playing the local derby with Barnet such is the gulf. Apart from the name we have absolutely NOTHING in common.

The only way I can see us playing them is if by some miracle they manage to stay in a cup competition long enough to draw us in a later round. Highly unlikely.

Football has moved on at a pace to such an extent that there are now  generations of fans who have never witnessed a Bristol derby.

I don't miss it at all.

OTIB. 

Like many others here, I've witnessed derbies over many years - my personal favourite being the 2-1 FA Cup victory at Eastville in the 80's.

However, I've never been happier than watching them drop into the Conference. I'd gladly forfeit any future derbies in favour of making that a permanent state. 

I think the better question,is would spurs fans miss playing Arsenal.They never played Barnet regularly.

We only have one other team in the City.

Glad to be in a minority,probably due to being one of the few that actually went to the derbies of years gone by.

Vert difficult for the crowd to get up for a game against Blackburn or the like ,as well as the loss of terraces it’s easier to see why AG has become more of a library at times.

Shame ,oh well thank goodness my other sporting teams fans -Bristol don’t want Bath to disappear and Somerset don’t want Gloucestershire to disappear.

1 hour ago, Hello Dave said:

I wouldn’t mind playing them in a cup game, as long as we could guarantee a 10 0 win! Losing to them is unbearable, that 1990 game still sticks in my throat!!

and they still go on about it now 31 years later

Archived