IGNORED

Am I the only one in here.....

Colombo Robin

3 hours ago, Redtrojan said:

I think the better question,is would spurs fans miss playing Arsenal.They never played Barnet regularly.

We only have one other team in the City.

Glad to be in a minority,probably due to being one of the few that actually went to the derbies of years gone by.

Vert difficult for the crowd to get up for a game against Blackburn or the like ,as well as the loss of terraces it’s easier to see why AG has become more of a library at times.

Shame ,oh well thank goodness my other sporting teams fans -Bristol don’t want Bath to disappear and Somerset don’t want Gloucestershire to disappear.

You are missing the point. You are talking of football derbys of years gone by; you talk of Bath and Bristol, Gloucestershire and Somerset. Competitive sides where you win one and lose one. These are meaningful derbies. You are referring to that edge of your seat feeling that is missing when we play teams like Blackburn for example. The City Rovers derby is no longer meaningful. They may currently play in the same City but they might as well be playing in Berwick such is the gulf. 

There is no competitive edge, no sense of achievement in winning or conversely  the sense of despair in losing. 

If we played them tomorrow and won it would be a hollow victory, they would say "Well you are expected to win"  If they won it would be like the battle of Bristol. History in the making.

That is because it is meaningless and that is as much to do with how bad they have become rather than how much better we have become.

Totally and utterly meaningless.

Eh,

If they were in the same league as us they would be of a similar standard.

I really don’t get the lack of interest in playing our closest rivals on a regular basis.Again I can only assume most have never experienced the rivalry.

Clearly if it ever does happen again ,hopefully all on here who are so underwhelmed by the fixture would not get a ticket and allow those who might enjoy it to get one.

14 hours ago, Colombo Robin said:

Plenty worse things in life to want to disappear than a football club just because they are from the same city

for me if they went bust that would be on a par with the eradication of small pox ,vile club vile fans . would not want those scummers any where near our ground and i also would not want to have to go to that stinking shithole they call a ground .

I think we've got used to not playing them regularly so it would be weird to have 2 derbies per season.

Looking at teams who have huge same city derbies in the UK, think the Old Firm, Liverpool, various London derbies etc; whilst they might enjoy it for a season or two if their rival got relegated - I doubt they'd like it long term. 

13 hours ago, Redtrojan said:

Omg what are half of you on about.

The best atmospheres are all about edge between the teams/fans.

I love the Bristol Derby saw my first in 1974 I think and have never missed one.

I would love Rovers to be in the same league as us(premiership )preferably,the build up to those games ,the atmosphere,and then the elation/disappointment afterwards were all part of life’s rich tapestry.

Jeez City v Rotherham or City vRovers,no contest any day of the week.

I have to agree, this is what it's all about. Imagine Liverpool alone in the prem with Everton somewhere in the lower leagues and they never got to play each other. Imagine a tin pot Man City, and Man U ruled alone.

For me, the very best thing for our awesome city is if both City and Rovers were top flight teams, that Bristol was a footballing power, not a backwater. Imagine the Bristol derby televised globally, a massive game with a massive draw, equivalent to your Manchester derbies, London derbies, the Old Firm. Imagine the whole world investing in it like we do/did.

I don't have a single jot of ambition or hope for Rovers, I'm 100% city til I die. I always want us to be top dog. But in a world where both clubs were up there, competing at the top of our national game, what a tremendous thing it would be for Bristol. I miss those derby days of old, crammed into the east end, knowing that when that whistle blew the next ninety minutes would define your emotional state for the next days, weeks, months. There was a chance, after all, you were about to fall into the abyss of hell, or, possibly glimpse a slice of heaven. Who knew? That atmosphere, that anticipation, those stakes, cannot be beaten. And that's what football is all about.

No one red wants us to drop to their level. But if we got established in the Premier and then Rovers worked their way up to the Premier too, then whats wrong with that?  Some on here are just scared that they might beat us. Get real. Its just a game of football. Have the past 12 months taught you nothing?

29 minutes ago, marmite said:

No one red wants us to drop to their level. But if we got established in the Premier and then Rovers worked their way up to the Premier too, then whats wrong with that?  Some on here are just scared that they might beat us. Get real. Its just a game of football. Have the past 12 months taught you nothing?

Worked their way up to the Premier League? How are they ever going to do that?

They would need a team of eleven Nigel Martyns/Garry Mabbutts/Scott Sinclair's all willing to to play for peanuts in a career that could last 2 to 10 years if they're lucky and stay injury free whilst the club fends off bids and bigger contracts from clubs higher up the food chain. If my memory serves me Sinclair went to Chelsea for a paltry £250,000 as a youngster.

I appreciate your sentiment but the gulf between the top leagues is so wide that simply will never happen.

It's got nothing to do with being scared of losing to them but everything to do with how shambolic of a club they have become on and off the pitch.

2 minutes ago, Swede said:

Worked their way up to the Premier League? How are they ever going to do that?

They would need a team of eleven Nigel Martyns/Garry Mabbutts/Scott Sinclair's all willing to to play for peanuts in a career that could last 2 to 10 years if they're lucky and stay injury free whilst the club fends off bids and bigger contracts from clubs higher up the food chain. If my memory serves me Sinclair went to Chelsea for a paltry £250,000 as a youngster.

I appreciate your sentiment but the gulf between the top leagues is so wide that simply will never happen.

It's got nothing to do with being scared of losing to them but everything to do with how shambolic of a club they have become on and off the pitch.

You make it sound like I'm suggesting 2 or 3 seasons time which I'm not. If we could view the league tables now for 10-12 years in the future, I'm sure there would be many surprises. 10 years ago who would have thought Bournemouth would have had a spell in the Prem  or Sunderland be league 1. Footballs a funny old game, someone once said!

If they get to the same league as us (I think we’ll be two seasons apart next year, happy days), all it’ll take is an opening day fluke and they’ll go above us, ending our amazing run! Happy to just do them in the cup every now and then.

7 hours ago, Redtrojan said:

Eh,

If they were in the same league as us they would be of a similar standard.

I really don’t get the lack of interest in playing our closest rivals on a regular basis.Again I can only assume most have never experienced the rivalry.

Clearly if it ever does happen again ,hopefully all on here who are so underwhelmed by the fixture would not get a ticket and allow those who might enjoy it to get one.

You can have my ticket Trojan.

Playing them again would mean either we've failed or they have vastly improved and I don't want either of them thanks.

It would never compare to the Donovan moment or the wins at Eastville or Trumpton, those atmospheres and days have gone.

The way our academy is producing players at the moment, our best chance of playing them would be to get whatever the status is for inclusion in the JPT and send a bunch of kids to the Mem to win.

This idea of mine, also provides the perfect excuse to post a link to a HMHB song, thus making it an almost perfect forum contribution.

3 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Playing them again would mean either we've failed or they have vastly improved and I don't want either of them thanks.

It would never compare to the Donovan moment or the wins at Eastville or Trumpton, those atmospheres and days have gone.

Wow ,if that case what’s the point in going to any games at all .

I agree that the atmosphere is rarely anywhere near what it was in days gone by ,but one of the few good ones in recent years was the tinpot trophy game against the gas........but I suspect if your arguments are to be believed you didn’t go to that!

5 minutes ago, Redtrojan said:

Wow ,if that case what’s the point in going to any games at all .

I agree that the atmosphere is rarely anywhere near what it was in days gone by ,but one of the few good ones in recent years was the tinpot trophy game against the gas........but I suspect if your arguments are to be believed you didn’t go to that!

I did Trojan and it was a pale imitation of what a derby means to me. If  we played them in a cup game, I'm all for it but not in the league, as I've already said.

Why you're taking exception to my posts I don't know but I stand by the fact we have bigger fish to fry than worrying about playing that pile of steaming crap and comparing our club to them. An honest question as all the benefits would be to the gas, are you of a blue persuasion rather than red?

You knock yourself out pal but you won't change my opinion, the days of playing them are long behind us. Remember them certainly but wish for them, absolutely not.

I'm out of this discussion as I am just repeating the point but if you want to be a better fan than me by saying 'I've never been to a derby' and 'were you there last time, I'm quite content for you to carry on.

Enjoy.

4 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

You seem to be forgetting cup draws are random.

11 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

You seem to be forgetting cup draws are random.

12 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

I did Trojan and it was a pale imitation of what a derby means to me. If  we played them in a cup game, I'm all for it but not in the league, as I've already said.

Why you're taking exception to my posts I don't know but I stand by the fact we have bigger fish to fry than worrying about playing that pile of steaming crap and comparing our club to them. An honest question as all the benefits would be to the gas, are you of a blue persuasion rather than red?

You knock yourself out pal but you won't change my opinion, the days of playing them are long behind us. Remember them certainly but wish for them, absolutely not.

I'm out of this discussion as I am just repeating the point but if you want to be a better fan than me by saying 'I've never been to a derby' and 'were you there last time, I'm quite content for you to carry on.

Enjoy.

• Admin
On 20/03/2021 at 19:41, Colombo Robin said:

....who would actually like Rovers to get promoted? I miss proper meaningful Bristol derbies. I expect the usual gas bashing in the comments but genuinely interested in peoples thoughts on this one

Not in the slightest, they haven't had any relevance to us for years.

Long may it continue !!

On 20/03/2021 at 20:06, Red Exile said:

I'd rather they went out of business.

I pressed 'like' for your comment, but thinking about it, it would be funnier if they simply slid down the league ladder and ended up playing Bath City and Chippenham Town in the National League South or something.

Their ground would be more in-keeping then, at least. 

Archived