IGNORED

Would you move Wells on

Unan

There is minimal prospect of that, is there?

Clubs are budgeting for the 21/22 season without any certainty over the return of crowds, so who is going to buy someone who is going to be 30 soon & has just had a season where he has scored 8 (1 a penalty) for a million (presumably more than that as we paid £4m) pound plus fee?

I like a hypothetical question but realistically this is highly unlikely.

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

There is minimal prospect of that, is there?

Clubs are budgeting for the 21/22 season without any certainty over the return of crowds, so who is going to buy someone who is going to be 30 soon & has just had a season where he has scored 8 (1 a penalty) for a million (presumably more than that as we paid £4m) pound plus fee?

I like a hypothetical question but realistically this is highly unlikely.

Correct, it's not gonna happen. I really do hope we can find a better first choice striker though. 

I think NWs time can’t really be judged here until he’s played in his correct position. The blokes a natural poacher so playing him 25 yds away from where he operates best and then bashing him for not scoring as much as we’d hoped isn’t really fair.

I can see him playing as our main no 9 when Fam moves on this summer.

Whilst I totally agree he has had a poor season, when you consider how he played at QPR, I really feel that if he were played in the correct position (perhaps on the shoulder of the last man) with a team who looked to slip balls through a gap he could still do a job.

He doesn’t turn into a poor striker overnight - just massively lacking confidence.

The real question is whether or not he should ever have been brought to Ashton Gate if his style of play didn’t suit our game or tactics.

NP may be able to get the best out of him!  ???

There appears no way we are goi g to make on a sale of NW. But surely he is still the goal scorer he was at QPR. So NP has got to find a formation, strike partner and supply of the ball to him. 

That's a lot to get right to accomadate one player. But I do see him fitting into a NP side and set up. In a Vardy type role ?

Simples ??

6 minutes ago, The hand of RO'D said:

I think NWs time can’t really be judged here until he’s played in his correct position. The blokes a natural poacher so playing him 25 yds away from where he operates best and then bashing him for not scoring as much as we’d hoped isn’t really fair.

I can see him playing as our main no 9 when Fam moves on this summer.

Absolutely right. 

Wells has a decent goalscoring record in the Championship and is indeed a natural finisher. His strengths haven’t been fully utilised at City so far. 

Should Big Nige be in charge next season I’m sure he’s astute enough to play NK in his best position.

I think NP will need to generate some funds to get a transfer kitty for new players so the only players who are sellable are Wells Bentley Vyner and Massengo so i could see any of them being sold off.  Most of the others are out of contract anyhow 

35 minutes ago, Denbury Red said:

Whilst I totally agree he has had a poor season, when you consider how he played at QPR, I really feel that if he were played in the correct position (perhaps on the shoulder of the last man) with a team who looked to slip balls through a gap he could still do a job.

He doesn’t turn into a poor striker overnight - just massively lacking confidence.

The real question is whether or not he should ever have been brought to Ashton Gate if his style of play didn’t suit our game or tactics.

Well he signed for the strikers graveyard (us) in the evening, so technically....

At 30, the chance of getting a decent fee is slim. To get the £4.3m and for him to get the £27k a week virtually impossible.

In Weimann, if he proves fitness, Wells , Semenyo and Martin we have 4 strikers. We have rarely played the best finisher among those as a central forward. As we will have limited funds, I would start playing him down the middle and see if we get the best out of him, with players with the ability to supply chances working behind him.

1 hour ago, Denbury Red said:

I actually can’t see him spearheading our attack next season. 

I think if that was the plan then ciderNig would be playing him there now in preparation and to build some chemistry and cohesion. 

If it were to be deemed good enough for next season, then why not good enough for this one?

As others have said, play him as out &out no9. Remove Fam from equation. We are not going up or down and this is a chance to see what he can do playing as the main striker with a  consistent run of games.  NW has scored goals consistently at his former clubs, no reason why he cannot do this here. 
It gives NP a chance to look at NW and other options with some of the young talent. 
If NP will not fancy him it will be hard to move him on in covid world of football clubs with lack funds.

18 minutes ago, markcarter said:

I never want to see him play for us again.  Passing - weak, lazy & ?; Tackling - gives away unnecessary fouls almost every time to relieve the pressure on opposition defence. Shooting - really poor when under no pressure & when under pressure usually gives the ball away without even getting a shot off; goal-scoring record - unacceptably poor for a player who can’t do much else; attitude - terrible on and off the pitch, stroppy like a 5 year old; constantly dives pathetically rather than taking responsibility & then complains when most refs don’t buy it (should have got 20 yellow cards this season).  Cannot see any redeeming features against this list of massive weaknesses.  Get rid for any money we can get.

Not a fan then?

20 minutes ago, markcarter said:

I never want to see him play for us again.  Passing - weak, lazy & ?; Tackling - gives away unnecessary fouls almost every time to relieve the pressure on opposition defence. Shooting - really poor when under no pressure & when under pressure usually gives the ball away without even getting a shot off; goal-scoring record - unacceptably poor for a player who can’t do much else; attitude - terrible on and off the pitch, stroppy like a 5 year old; constantly dives pathetically rather than taking responsibility & then complains when most refs don’t buy it (should have got 20 yellow cards this season).  Cannot see any redeeming features against this list of massive weaknesses.  Get rid for any money we can get.

Apart from all that...you quite like him??

1 hour ago, Denbury Red said:

Must have been tough playing in a team this season that creates less than 2 chances per game.

11 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Must have been tough playing in a team this season that creates less than 2 chances per game.

My issue is that he seems to need open goals in order to score because his shooting is pretty poor. If he shoots from the edge of the box I pretty much expect it to be high and wide. At least Semenyo will get a daisy cutter on target. How can a striker - a natural goalscorer - be so bad a shooting (and passing and general link up play)? Confidence? 

14 minutes ago, Galway Red said:

Considering what we paid for him he's possibly one of our worse ever signings

He’s not been great but that is such a massive overstatement.

We paid £2m plus for Engvall, he never started a single league game for us & we sold him for £200k.

We paid similar for Djuric, he started 7 games (25 in total) scored 4 & we got around £800k back.

Wells has featured in every single game this season, the only player to do so.

Adelakun, Watkins & El-Abd were players who cost less but barely played before being moved on (as I expect to happen with the first 2) too.

28 minutes ago, Galway Red said:

Considering what we paid for him he's possibly one of our worse ever signings

Plenty of worse signing than Wells.......who is nowhere near the top of the worst signings list. He’s not even on it in my view.

Archived