IGNORED

Would you move Wells on

Unan

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

Good question. Assuming that Fam goes, and given that we won't get anywhere near what we paid for Wells, that would mean £10m worth of strikers departing for next to nothing. I think that might just be too much for Mark Ashton to bear!

I do wonder if they are still hoping FD might sign a new contract. It seems strange to be playing him otherwise. Maybe Fam won't get offered the kind of money his agents expected due to covid depressing the market. 

Personally I would let him go as I think he limits our style of play. 

I think he will be an integral part of the team next season and will show us his worth. If we play a system that suits him and if we can make chances he could be the 20 goal a season striker we are looking for. I think he is a good finisher at this level.

As NP has said “I pick players for what they can do, not what they can’t.”

Tin hat ready!

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

It doesn't look like Pearson wants him in the 9 position. So yep sell if possible 

But we have a squad light on wingers, thanks due to the aim for recruiting for 352. I'd heavily guess we will recruit 1 if not 2 wingers in the summer and once we have depth in that position it would allow Wells to move centrally. I theorised right after the window closed that Diedhiou would start basically every game regardless of form to try and justify getting as much value from him rather than him being sat on the bench, lo and behold whats happened since January.... 

I said it at the weekend and will repeat what others have said here. We need to drop Fammy and play Wells up top.

If Fammy had wanted to stay he would have signed by now and Wells is being played out of position to accommodate Fam in the team.

Even if we wanted to move Wells on, which is unlikely given the current climate, he would be a more attractive proposition if he was able to score more goals. He's not going to do that stuck out wide.

The only way to move him on for a decent fee would be to get him scoring goals again. If we get him scoring goals we would then want to keep him.  We have little choice but to stick with him and NP needs to  get him playing in his best position and hopefully Nakhi will then re-discover his form

3 hours ago, The hand of RO'D said:

I think NWs time can’t really be judged here until he’s played in his correct position. The blokes a natural poacher so playing him 25 yds away from where he operates best and then bashing him for not scoring as much as we’d hoped isn’t really fair.

I can see him playing as our main no 9 when Fam moves on this summer.

This. Give him decent service, play him as a striker, then we can judge.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

He’s not been great but that is such a massive overstatement.

We paid £2m plus for Engvall, he never started a single league game for us & we sold him for £200k.

We paid similar for Djuric, he started 7 games (25 in total) scored 4 & we got around £800k back.

Wells has featured in every single game this season, the only player to do so.

Adelakun, Watkins & El-Abd were players who cost less but barely played before being moved on (as I expect to happen with the first 2) too.

As I said, considering what we spent ONE of our worse, be lucky to get 500,000 back for 1 seasons work

30 minutes ago, Galway Red said:

As I said, considering what we spent ONE of our worse, be lucky to get 500,000 back for 1 seasons work

He hasn’t left yet!

He could conceivably score 14 next season & so writing him off as one of our worst signings is premature.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Plenty of worse signing than Wells.......who is nowhere near the top of the worst signings list. He’s not even on it in my view.

Considering what we paid for him he is. The likes of Hunt, Lavin El Hab etc were mainly free signings, this guy cost us nearly 5 million, the worst bit of money we've ever spent and we'd be lucky to get half a million for him now

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

He hasn’t left yet!

He could conceivably score 14 next season & so writing him off as one of our worst signings is premature.

He could conceivably score 30 goals next season but I can only go on what I've seen so far which is a major disappointment

Widening this further. Current senior players (excluding academy players and those whose loans expire at the end of the season) and where they stand at the end of this season.

If you were NP faced with these two lists who would you look to (1) keep (2) get rid of? My ones to keep are in bold.

Out of Contract

1.     Hunt

2.     Adelakun

3.     Rowe

4.     Baker

5.     Watkins

6.     Lansbury (is he on loan?)

7.     Diedhiou

8.     Mariappa

9.     Walsh

10.  Paterson 

11.  Weimann

12.  Wollacott

1.     Bentley

2.     O’Leary

3.     Dasilva

4.     Nagy

5.     Martin 

6.     O'Dowda 

7.     Wells

8.     Massengo 

9.     Palmer 

10.  Vyner

11.  Bakinson

12.  Seymeno 

13.  Williams 

14.  Kalas

15.  Pring

16.  Moore

2 hours ago, HappyClapper said:

I think he will be an integral part of the team next season and will show us his worth. If we play a system that suits him and if we can make chances he could be the 20 goal a season striker we are looking for. I think he is a good finisher at this level.

As NP has said “I pick players for what they can do, not what they can’t.”

Tin hat ready!

IF he could control tge f....g ball and if he could f....g close down defenders more and if he could shoot straight.

2 hours ago, mozo said:

My issue is that he seems to need open goals in order to score because his shooting is pretty poor. If he shoots from the edge of the box I pretty much expect it to be high and wide. At least Semenyo will get a daisy cutter on target. How can a striker - a natural goalscorer - be so bad a shooting (and passing and general link up play)? Confidence? 

I'm not saying he's anywhere near his level, but Tammy Abraham hardly ever scored outside the six yard box and I believe has never scored from past the penalty spot (might be outside the area). Like Tammy, Wells is a poacher. I'd have liked to have seen a better return from him, but when he spends half the time playing Left Wing and the other half watching ball fly over his head, I think he's doing ok.

2 hours ago, MSN Red said:

The only way to move him on for a decent fee would be to get him scoring goals again. If we get him scoring goals we would then want to keep him.  We have little choice but to stick with him and NP needs to  get him playing in his best position and hopefully Nakhi will then re-discover his form

NHAKI.

1 minute ago, HappyClapper said:

I take it you’re not a big fan???

Could be. He has the physical frame to be good but just doesn't use it right. Typical Diedhiou was on Saturday, he was in their pen area. The ball was played along the ground to him. He didn't control the simple pass and let it bounce away. Potential goal lost again.

5 hours ago, The hand of RO'D said:

I think NWs time can’t really be judged here until he’s played in his correct position. The blokes a natural poacher so playing him 25 yds away from where he operates best and then bashing him for not scoring as much as we’d hoped isn’t really fair.

I can see him playing as our main no 9 when Fam moves on this summer.

Aside from the position he plays, I think we are quite within our rights to criticise a highly paid footballer who regularly lacks the ability to control a ball, pass accurately and loses possession.

If these skills aren't required for scoring goals then fine, stick him up front to tap em in.

Personally, I would want more from a player in any position.

1 hour ago, KegCity said:

I'm not saying he's anywhere near his level, but Tammy Abraham hardly ever scored outside the six yard box and I believe has never scored from past the penalty spot (might be outside the area). Like Tammy, Wells is a poacher. I'd have liked to have seen a better return from him, but when he spends half the time playing Left Wing and the other half watching ball fly over his head, I think he's doing ok.

I'm not even asking Nakhi to score goals from outside the box, I'm just asking him to be able to strike a ball cleanly! 

With Wells it would very much depend upon whether or not Nige thinks that he can be "developed" to suit future needs.

Wells has been disappointing and I'm certain that he's a better player than we've seen - although of course I don't know/understand the reasons why.

for me its a yes,i would like to see us bring in 2 fresh, quick hungry strikers that can get a good partnership going. Out with the old in with the new.

we should not have let sammie go to Peterborough would have done a good job for us and a good age. Just did not get the chance

2 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Widening this further. Current senior players (excluding academy players and those whose loans expire at the end of the season) and where they stand at the end of this season.

If you were NP faced with these two lists who would you look to (1) keep (2) get rid of? My ones to keep are in bold.

Out of Contract

1.     Hunt

2.     Adelakun

3.     Rowe

4.     Baker

5.     Watkins

6.     Lansbury (is he on loan?)

7.     Diedhiou

8.     Mariappa

9.     Walsh

10.  Paterson 

11.  Weimann

12.  Wollacott

1.     Bentley

2.     O’Leary

3.     Dasilva

4.     Nagy

5.     Martin 

6.     O'Dowda 

7.     Wells

8.     Massengo 

9.     Palmer 

10.  Vyner

11.  Bakinson

12.  Seymeno 

13.  Williams 

14.  Kalas

15.  Pring

16.  Moore

Keep Adelakun?  What on earth for??

We've seen some terrible football from him this season - schoolboy lack of lack of control, very poor shooting, petulant fouls, chucking himself on the floor when the better option was to keep playing, and temper trantrums when not getting his own way.  That said, because there's no way anyone else is taking him off our hands any time soon, I'd like to see him try to form a partnership up front with Martin when he's fit again.  Seems to me that their styles could complement one another, with Martin playing the intelligent hold up role and Wells running off and in behind defences and getting himself in the box on a regular basis to poach goals.  It may not work, and it may be that he's past his best now, but there is a chance that he coud get a few goals and get on a roll - sometimes miracles do happen in football...

9 hours ago, Banned User said:

if we could get an adequate fee for him?

1. No chance of anyone paying a fee unless that club's transfer policy is run by a lunatic.

2. No one will come near to matching his wages so he won't want to leave.

3. Only possible way he could leave is through a good old fashioned swap deal for a similarly paid player though I can't see anyone wanting to  pay him £25k a week. 

Archived