IGNORED

Would you move Wells on

Unan

12 minutes ago, pillred said:

It's Nhaki (for future reference).

It's really not. It's Nahki. https://www.bcfc.co.uk/teams/first-team-squad/21-nahki-wells/

What I have never seen from Wells is any evidence that if played "through the centre" as people clamour for he'd suddenly turn into a 20-goal a season striker.

I understand that is the position he played for QPR...but in doing so he scored 24 in 70 appearances. Roughly 1 in 3...which is roughly the same as his career total strike rate, and also about the strike rate that Fam has for us. In Wells' appearances for us he's played "through the centre" 44 times, and scored 12 from that rough position. So, 1 in 4, worse than Fam's rate from the same position, and worse than his career average.*

Admittedly both these figures are vastly better than when he is played wide - but they do not indicate that he would be any improvement on what other players have managed in that position, in this team, over the past few seasons.

At the time he signed I warned that to expect him to replicate the goal-scoring form he showed in the first half of the 2019/20 season at QPR was foolish. In that spell he scored at twice the rate his xG suggested he should, and at a far higher rate than his career stats indicated. It was he purplest of purple patches and it's no surprise that his has regressed back to the 1 in 3/1 in 4 ratio that he's delivered throughout his career.

Would I move him on? If Fam is going then no. We need a CF and in that position he'd seemingly deliver no less than Fam (and no more). We'd struggle to find a reasonably priced 1 in 3 striker and so I'd keep him, but with an expectation of 12 - 15 league goals next season, not the 20+ that some seem determined to imagine him likely to deliver.

*all figures from transfermarkt  as I cannot find freely available position-specific stats anywhere else.

He's yet another player that devides opinion. I have to admit to being disapointed by his overall game, but we have created very little for him to show what he can do.

I was excited when we brought him in and he can clearly score goals in The Champ so i think he'll stay (especially as we are unlikely to get much of a fee back for him).

Whether he'll be a first choice pick for Nige next season remains to be seen tho!

14 hours ago, Banned User said:

if we could get an adequate fee for him?

Yes. Will we though? I doubt it. 
Was never a fan in the countless times hes played against us. 
He couldnt seem any more unhappy ( yes i know hes not a winger ). 
We’d be lucky to get £1m and neither will be sell for that i shouldnt think. 

4 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Yeah possibly a winger or 2 in.

As you know we have a number of very talented wingers coming through: Owura, Pearson, François, Benarous, possibly Scott can do that role too.

I wonder if just one of those might really push on by the summer, enough to be included in Nigel's plans next season.

O'Dowda and Semenyo the current 2 we'd probably call proper wingers. I do like Palmer there too. I felt the performance on the weekend was unfortunately a bit like the bad version of Kasey we have seen at times in the past. Fairly anonymous in a busy part of the pitch. 

He can be very dangerous wide in space imo. Not saying that's his best role but Swansea second half on the wing but with freedom to come in field, he was very dangerous. 

Weimann I imagine may stay on with the year option. Pearson previously used him as a winger at Derby. Only a few games that he was fit to play, but each time right wing or left wing.

Not what I've liked to see so much in the past under LJ. But new manager with new ideas, it might work better for Weimann wide under Pearson. Especially in the 4231, maybe better than what we saw with the 4141 in 18/19 when Weimann was quite isolated out wide which really does not suit his game.

So we might not be too bad there. But yeah probably more than likely Nigel will look to strengthen in that area.

One that might be a good option, just from highlights of games I've seen is Kamal Sowah of OH Leuven. On loan from Leicester. I think Pearson had him there on loan when he was there. Looks very quick and can score goals. Loan a quality winger in for the season whilst the likes of Pearson and Owura are loaned out to hopefully be ready the next season.

Interesting that Palmer had a quiet game in that type of match.  He wasn’t poor particularly, just wasn’t in the game enough.  A little tweak at h-t saw him get on the ball but deep.  A game crying out for a pacy striker to stretch Rotherham’s back line in the first half, either to give Kasey a bit of space, or for him (or others) to slide balls down the sides or in behind.

Unfortunately we had Fam, who I thought did ok in the circumstances but that played into their hands.

Where did we create our best play(s) from?

Best chance?  Wells to Massengo to Wells, quick sharp stuff.  Thought Wells should’ve done better.  Even though the keeper saved it, I’m not sure it was doing better than hitting the post.

Other good moves.  Lansbury sliding in COD who couldn’t quite feed Massengo.  I wonder if that stretch to cross was the first twinge?

There was another quick give and go with Bell and someone, can’t remember who, where Semenyo ended up screwing wide.

That all happened in the last period of the game after Fam went off.  That’s not blaming Fam, above I said I thought he did ok, but it shows a little glimpse of what we could have, whether that be Wells up front or someone else (next season).

As it stands I don’t think Fam will be eligible for Stoke on Good Friday (quarantine).  Think Nagy won’t be ready having played on Wednesday.  Palmer and Mariappa I hope will be ok travelling back from USA (game the previous Thursday), but Sessegnon might be a doubt too because of u21s (Wednesday like Nagy).

worst forward since bas savage and bas was better towatch because at least he smiled at his errors. Wells is truly appalling and as for people saying ' ah, well he was good at QPR (very briefly) seem unable to apply that excuse to every other player who has a poor game or run.

If we dont have two strikers better than him next season we wont score enough goals to be top half

28 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

worst forward since bas savage and bas was better towatch because at least he smiled at his errors. Wells is truly appalling and as for people saying ' ah, well he was good at QPR (very briefly) seem unable to apply that excuse to every other player who has a poor game or run.

If we dont have two strikers better than him next season we wont score enough goals to be top half

When you watch a match with an agenda against a player, take no account of him playing out of position, and focus on facial expressions.....⬆️⬆️⬆️

2 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

He's very far from that bad. You do remember Rodri and Diony? 

Wells is a fine Championship striker, and probably has the potential to be our no. 1 CF. I just don't think he's quite as good as some expect. I don't think he's the "20 goal a season" guy, whether played in "the right position" or not.

We are going to need to find 15-20 goals from somewhere next season, but that won't be because Wells doesn't score.

34 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I thought we should have got in a few times first half and messed it up. And we were throwing everything at them in desperation to score later in the game. Nigel definitely needs to sort out the blend of this side.

All I really want now is for us to be 100% safe and hopefully give the likes of Towler, Towler, Pearson, Owura and Bell chances.

I can't imagine it's something Nigel will want to do though, which is fair enough if he doesn't as he will want to win games even if we can't go up or down.

Think the youngsters raise an interesting question:

Does NP use the same loan model as the existing one?  Or do some these become fully fledged first team squad members, playing in u23s and providing squad cover?

Its gonna be an interesting call for those who’ve tasted first team action to determine whether sending out to L1/L2 is the right thing.  For one or two you it’s possible their initial trajectory might’ve been national League had we not had injuries.

If we run with a trimmer “senior” squad (something I’m in favour of) then the likes of Towler, Bell, etc need to be around at Failand.

There will be a question about competitiveness of game time...Loan v u23s, and you could argue that both Bell and Towler have missed the large part of season of game time being with the first team squad, not playing much u23 football.

Of course, lot of focus on Bell, Towler, both Edwards, etc, but we’ve also got the likes of Cundy, Nurse, Morton, Pring that should be ahead of the real young’uns.

Guess we’ll see a semblance of a plan with who gets retained etc, and then who we recruit.

I very much doubt we will get n offer for him close season, wages far too high and there is no resale value in him for us.

I thought he was completely disinterested under Holden but he perked up a lot when NP came in.

He's not really had a chance so far at City, either staggered on any service or playing wide most of his time here.

He's a good championship striker but operates in the box and will score goals at this level if we play to his strengths.

He needs a run of games played up top and im slightly puzzled as to why Fam has got the nod over him so far, maybe NP just doesn't rate him

I’ve got mixed views on Wells.

I think he is a decent enough striker at this level, but we haven’t seen the best of him because he’s in a team that has often created absolute zilch and he’s been played out of position. 

Do we get rid? Not sure, but my gut feeling is that we might as well keep him and play him in his best position. We paid too much for him, so if we do get rid I doubt very much we’d get much of our money back. 

He along with others have been poor this season. Wells has been played out of position which hasn’t helped him. But I question his work ethic. Yes he has been working harder under NP and it’s noticeable. That is frustrating for me as to why he didn’t work that hard under Holden. Just my opinion he has never seemed happy here or wants to be here but as I say that’s just a observation. Sometimes a club doesn’t suit a player and vice versa. No doubt if he left he would score goals for his new club.

Interesting that our “left winger” has got the same amount of league goals (8) as our centre forward, and more assists (3 v 1).  In terms of minutes started as a centre forward:

Wells 1341 (4g 2a)

Diedhiou 1622 (5g 1a)

Neither record is good enough really.  But I think both could site lack of service too.

We’ve yet to see Wells as the sole striker in a 4231 (the QPR system)....with a midfield behind him that could well be suited to his movement, e.g. Palmer, Walsh and Massengo, etc.

I at least would like to see NP try that.

2 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

He along with others have been poor this season. Wells has been played out of position which hasn’t helped him. But I question his work ethic. Yes he has been working harder under NP and it’s noticeable. That is frustrating for me as to why he didn’t work that hard under Holden. Just my opinion he has never seemed happy here or wants to be here but as I say that’s just a observation. Sometimes a club doesn’t suit a player and vice versa. No doubt if he left he would score goals for his new club.

I can honestly say I’ve seen very little noticeable change in his work rate (and attitude) from DH to NP.  I do think we’ve seen a difference in the way we play and that players like Palmer have picked his runs earlier so we are seeing him on the ball more or spinning channels.  He was making those runs previously but not getting spotted.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I can honestly say I’ve seen very little noticeable change in his work rate (and attitude) from DH to NP.  I do think we’ve seen a difference in the way we play and that players like Palmer have picked his runs earlier so we are seeing him on the ball more or spinning channels.  He was making those runs previously but not getting spotted.

I thought his work rate for the team without the ball improved as with Palmer. The dirty work that some players don’t like to do. Coming back making tackles in the fullback area actions like that. As under Holden he seemed to me to want to give a cheap lazy free kick away . Or Chuck his arms in the air expecting a foul. It’s a frustrating one Dave we all know he scores goals and he needs to be played in his natural position.But I haven’t warmed to him and when he signed I was excited by his arrival and that has probably tainted my view of him. 

4 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

I thought his work rate for the team without the ball improved as with Palmer. The dirty work that some players don’t like to do. Coming back making tackles in the fullback area actions like that. As under Holden he seemed to me to want to give a cheap lazy free kick away . Or Chuck his arms in the air expecting a foul. It’s a frustrating one Dave we all know he scores goals and he needs to be played in his natural position.But I haven’t warmed to him and when he signed I was excited by his arrival and that has probably tainted my view of him. 

Fair comment, good call re fouling rather than chasing.  Ta ??????

I don't think it matters whether we played Wells as a lone striker, down the middle, on the shoulder of the last defender or goal hanging on the edge of the 6 yard box. 

With the creativity (or lack of) of our midfield for much of the last year Ivan Tony would struggle to score in this team. 

Having said that, Wells' attitude has not helped. His body language and demeanour on the pitch made it pretty clear that he didn't really want to be here. Not only did it seem he wanted to stay at QPR, but being parachuted into an LJteam that was going backwards at a rate of knots, must have only exacerbated his antipathy. 

He is capable of more than we have seen and perhaps NP can bring that out of him, but I'm not sure if it will happen as long as he persists with Famara! 

On 22/03/2021 at 08:35, The hand of RO'D said:

I think NWs time can’t really be judged here until he’s played in his correct position. The blokes a natural poacher so playing him 25 yds away from where he operates best and then bashing him for not scoring as much as we’d hoped isn’t really fair.

I can see him playing as our main no 9 when Fam moves on this summer.

Baldock managed it albeit in League 1.

The highest difference between the two that I can see is that Baldock was the epitome of professionalism, Nahki seems to have a chip on his shoulder being played out of position, the former was just more composed and team orientated.

Archived