IGNORED

41 Man Squad

Davefevs

26 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

However 22 have played over 600 mins, just shows how diluted the other half (ish) are, you could easily say 12 wouldn't have been thought of appearing on that list before the start of the season.

Wasn’t making a point, just showing the list.

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Wasn’t making a point, just showing the list.

There is the answer to the question.

The question is "How can anyone mould a team when so many have been used?"

Football is a game with eleven members on the pitch. It is nigh impossible to call it a team when so many changes are made to the eleven.

We all know the reasons.

Too many long term injuries. I've never known so many hamstring injuries as this season.

Too many senior players that were blocking the "Pathway" for young and upcoming talent.

The club went from one extreme to another. Cotterill's minimal squad to an army approaching the numbers of the Chinese Army!

Eighteen or nineteen senior pros plus six or seven Young Guns is all we need. Plus a medical team that repairs any damage within a reasonable timescale.

Massive undertaking for Mr Pearson.

I appreciate there are a lot of U23s on that list, but boy is there some serious sorting out to do.

Leaving aside that 2 of them are technically not our player (Fulham’s) we need to shed at least a dozen of the senior squad & certainly not keep players on indefinitely in the 23s on the basis they will become the next Bobby Reid, as one of those happens about every 10 years.

46 minutes ago, markcarter said:

We have an incredibly mediocre squad.  Almost all players are bang average Championship players.  So Johnson was able to achieve 3 mid-table finishes in a row as a decent coach.  Holden was going to take us down, as a total novice.  Pearson has taken us back to mid-table form.  To do better than that massive additions are needed to replace what will hopefully be lots of departures.  Praying that waste of space Wells will sold for anything we can get too - I’d take £50.

I think that’s slightly harsh but do agree with the broad thrust that the squad is nowhere near as good as some on here seem to think.

Defensively Kalas & the injury prone Dasilva apart, we lack quality, only Vyner has really stepped up.

Midfield has a lot of “could, should, would” types, rather than anyone at all with a track record of success at this level & up front we have paid big wages for two 30 somethings in Martin & Wells who so far, haven’t come off.

I am reaching the conclusion that we need the biggest number of departures in very many years & personally I am not sure I would be too bothered if every single player that is out of contract left.

56 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

The injuries have been the one big problem all season. We would be in a stronger position I'm sure if we hadn't missed so many key players. We'd have a number of options in every position if everyone was to be fit.

No matter what squad of players we have next season, if we are to have the same kind of crazy amount of injuries then we will struggle again.

Interesting how Pearson described the injury problem post match after Rotherham. Saying 'but they're not all' before pausing and saying 'we've been very unlucky as well.'

They're not all what? Maybe he knows and stopped himself saying it or maybe he's still trying to work that out. I'm glad he doesn't think it's all down to bad luck.

"That's [the injuries] something moving forward that we need to collectively find the solutions for. We've had a number of injuries this year which it's been an unprecedented year for that. I'm sure people will ask questions but they're not all... We've been very unlucky as well.

Answers on a postcard to.....

“Not all down to the medical team”? ???

Archived