IGNORED

Salary Sport - How Accurate is this?

Silvio Dante

2 minutes ago, jj77 said:

How would anyone know what someone's salary is unless it came from the club, the player or his agent?

Yep, I think it’s fine if someone says:

I reckon he might be on somewhere around the £8-10k p.w. mark 

I think the problem is stating something as fact.

As @Spoons once posted - have you seen the contract then!!

Let's suppose the figures are true... I can't see us offering more than £15k for future signings (in the Covid aftermath). 

We could end up with three players being paid disproportionately more than the rest of the squad, but I guess that's common in football. 

1 hour ago, ciderwithtommy said:

Pukki on 15k a week? Norwich with only one player, Gibson, earning more than our top earner. If, and it’s a big if, this is all true, we are a soft touch aren’t we. 

Surely that can't be right? 

9 minutes ago, mozo said:

Let's suppose the figures are true... I can't see us offering more than £15k for future signings (in the Covid aftermath). 

We could end up with three players being paid disproportionately more than the rest of the squad, but I guess that's common in football. 

To a point, but I don't imagine having a couple of people on  significantly more breeds a healthy environment... not unless they are that much better and more consistent than their team mates.

Probably quite different at a top club where I doubt someone earning 200k a week doesn't feel valued when a new signing comes in on 300k a week, but when a lot of the squad aren't on life changing money and a few appear to be, there is probably some resentment.

Ludicrous numbers but that's the price you pay for being established in this division. Thank the lord we're not in a relegation scrap. 

There have only been 2 times I've been ITK. One of them was the agreement with Reading to bring Scott Murray back. The other was a discussion over the established back 4 a few years back all wanting the same salary rather than one having higher over the others. 

Needless to say, those numbers are small change in comparison to the top numbers on that list. Whether it's true or not, no idea. At least we know from his own admission in a post match interview that Weimann doesn't have a goal bonus in his contract (may well do now, but didn't at the time of the interview) 

17 minutes ago, The Batman said:

Ludicrous numbers but that's the price you pay for being established in this division. Thank the lord we're not in a relegation scrap. 

There have only been 2 times I've been ITK. One of them was the agreement with Reading to bring Scott Murray back. The other was a discussion over the established back 4 a few years back all wanting the same salary rather than one having higher over the others. 

Needless to say, those numbers are small change in comparison to the top numbers on that list. Whether it's true or not, no idea. At least we know from his own admission in a post match interview that Weimann doesn't have a goal bonus in his contract (may well do now, but didn't at the time of the interview) 

The Murray contract numbers on his return from Reading became a matter of public knowledge and were reported in the press as I believe (if memory serves), his former agent was trying to claim some sort of cash through court action.

33 minutes ago, Super said:

Surely that can't be right? 

On Pukki he was plucked as a free agent so can imagine that sort of wage, then would come down to how much the promotion increase clause vs relegation drop clause was 

4 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

The Murray contract numbers on his return from Reading became a matter of public knowledge and were reported in the press as I believe (if memory serves), his former agent was trying to claim some sort of cash through court action.

Didn't realise that. That's a shame. That's one of the few things I could claim on here ??. Oh well. 

13 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

While reading the gas forum for amusement, one of the belters was moaning about how much they were paying the players and linked to the “salary sport” site.

This is our entry. Goes all the way down to youth team. Ripped off from football manager, accurate or total guesswork?

https://salarysport.com/football/sky-bet-championship/bristol-city/

It looks like cobblers to me. And so many missing players.  For one our wage bill is closer to 30m...... Annual accounts ?

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

If you're knocking Baker's availability, it's a little off the mark. It's 92 in the last 3 seasons(4 including this year). 130 if you include the loan spell. One of those seasons he was dropped due to Webster/Kalas partnership and last season he was dropped for a few games, so in terms of availability he's been available around 40 games a season or more, over his previous 4 years here.

This season is obviously unlucky, it's the first major injury layoff he's had and given it wasn't a pre-existing issue and the other injury problems we've had it would be unfair to blame Baker.

He's been a solid performer for us except for a couple of occasions going off early because he's full blooded (something we all moan is missing when he isnt playing). He's justified his salary more than a lot I could think of

Loan season doesn't come into it.  Unless we add his wages from that plus a loan fee into the equation.  It was also 5 seasons ago

He's made 84 league appearance and 5 cup appearance since his permanent move for a fee of £3.9 Million. That's how you judge the transfer.

13 hours ago, Banned User said:

It looks quite accurate from what I know, which is next to nothing other than a few credible journos and that leaked spreadsheet that a member of staff left in a coffee shop.

Edit: Chris Martins is way out, I know for a fact what his basic is. One of the only times I've ever been itk.

Bloody hell, I forgot he played for us!

On 23/03/2021 at 22:49, Davefevs said:

The other prob with wages is we don’t know whether what’s reported is basic, plus bonuses, etc, etc.  I’m sure these websites, and the likes of FM aren’t a million mikes away, but I’d never go quoting any of them as fact.

Although as I understand it KP had to declare his Chelsea salary in court for some charge or another.

I can probably say this now that I am retired, one of my customers when I was working as a payroll system implementer was Liverpool football club. They were different from the other Prem clubs I dealt with in that they dealt with the players wages as well (a task usually outsourced to one of the big accountancy firms). Anyway, I wasn't privvy to actual figures, but I did get some surprises about how pay was structured outside of the standard bonuses. I was surprised to find that if a player signed a 3 year contract, they received a bonus at the start of each year of that contract for staying. (Possibly one of the reasons players are so keen on longer contracts?)

The other was that in some cases the signing on fee was paid up front, in others it was spread across the year of the contract, I wonder how that effects the January transfer window?

The one that made me smile most was that players didn't receive their payslips, one of the first questions I was asked was how the system could be made to send payslips to the players agent. :)

46 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I can probably say this now that I am retired, one of my customers when I was working as a payroll system implementer was Liverpool football club. They were different from the other Prem clubs I dealt with in that they dealt with the players wages as well (a task usually outsourced to one of the big accountancy firms). Anyway, I wasn't privvy to actual figures, but I did get some surprises about how pay was structured outside of the standard bonuses. I was surprised to find that if a player signed a 3 year contract, they received a bonus at the start of each year of that contract for staying. (Possibly one of the reasons players are so keen on longer contracts?)

The other was that in some cases the signing on fee was paid up front, in others it was spread across the year of the contract, I wonder how that effects the January transfer window?

The one that made me smile most was that players didn't receive their payslips, one of the first questions I was asked was how the system could be made to send payslips to the players agent. :)

Signing on fees are often called loyalty bonuses, so it does make sense that these are dripped rather than paid on day one. Same as transfer fees being paid in installments, it likely all helps liquidity of funds within football.

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Yep, the annual contract bonus is fairly “common” thing.

I won’t name the ex-City player but he used to bank where I worked, and he liked the bookies.  We called him in to discuss his overdraft and he made us aware that he was about to get a payment from his old club.  When enquiring why, seeing as he was no longer there, he told us that because he’d not instigated the transfer (the 2 clubs had), he was still entitled to his annual contract bonus.

This is why players don’t generally request a transfer, because it removes their entitlement to their annual contract bonus!

Also, other loyalty payments can be paid out annually on 30th June.  This is another reason why several transfers go through on 1st July, because going any earlier means they don’t get their loyalty payment.

Far removed from a normal employee contact / paye!!

Archived