IGNORED

Please don't go....?

Edgy Red

Just wondering what everyones thoughts are on our "main" out of contract players this summer.

Weimann

Paterson

Baker

Hunt

I think Diedhiou is off so i won't include him and i appreciate there are others who are OOC, but these 4 are experienced Champ players and are all on decent wages.

Do we wave goodbye to all of them, or is it case of..... Please don't go?

Isn't Rowe ooc too? For me he is a great utility player with lots of experience. I would like to extend for a year if it suited all parties.

I like pato and contributed to so many goals but not consistent enough for where we need to be.

Hunt is in my mind a very average right back and whilst good in this division he is not a top half wing back / full back. 

Baker would be an amazing asset but is unreliable and am under the impression he is one of the highest earners here? So I hope we don't extend.

Would love Weimann to be extended but not sure if he would want a raise or long contract. Question marks on him after his Injury too? I think NP will let him go.

We need a reset,  ultimately we're going nowhere with this group. We were beaten easily in our last game by a team who will be in League 1 next year.  I accept that 3 of those players above are out at the moment but I'm making the point that Nigel Pearson needs to free up as much room as possible to bring in a whole new group.   

2 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

We need a reset,  ultimately we're going nowhere with this group. We were beaten easily in our last game by a team who will be in League 1 next year.  I accept that 3 of those players above are out at the moment but I'm making the point that Nigel Pearson needs to free up as much room as possible to bring in a whole new group.   

I kind of agree with this view. I'm not a big fan of Hunt and whilst i like Baker, Weimann and Paterson, it may just be time to clear the decks and free up some wages for Nige to recruit his own players.

An interesting summer ahead!

22 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

Just wondering what everyones thoughts are on our "main" out of contract players this summer.

Weimann

Paterson

Baker

Hunt

I think Diedhiou is off so i won't include him and i appreciate there are others who are OOC, but these 4 are experienced Champ players and are all on decent wages.

for me,Baker..out.  the others negotiable. i do like Jack Hunt,mainly for  his shithousery,something we dont have much of. Tommy Rowe is the only please dont go for me,i think hes done a remarkable job being played wherever hes needed.too earl to tell about walsh,takes a long time to mend tho so not that bothered

1 minute ago, redsquirrel said:

for me,Baker..out.  the others negotiable. i do like Jack Hunt,mainly for  his shithousery,something we dont have much of. Tommy Rowe is the only please dont go for me,i think hes done a remarkable job being played wherever hes needed

I didn't include Tommy Rowe but i do agree that he has rarely let us down whenever he has played.

To be honest he has only ever really filled in at left back due to injuries and i don't really see him starting next season in his preferred midfield role.

For an experienced pro he would be worth another year tho.

We could definitely cope with anyone leaving as long as the proper replacements (improvements) are made.

Hunt and Paterson in particular I have no feeling to keep. And Baker isn’t fit enough. Weimann a maybe but a serious injury at 30 years old is a concern and he was a bit headless chicken under LJ last season. 

49 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Isn't Rowe ooc too? For me he is a great utility player with lots of experience. I would like to extend for a year if it suited all parties.

I like pato and contributed to so many goals but not consistent enough for where we need to be.

Hunt is in my mind a very average right back and whilst good in this division he is not a top half wing back / full back. 

Baker would be an amazing asset but is unreliable and am under the impression he is one of the highest earners here? So I hope we don't extend.

Would love Weimann to be extended but not sure if he would want a raise or long contract. Question marks on him after his Injury too? I think NP will let him go.

Agree Rowe. I'm assuming he's quite a lower earner (relatively speaking of course - I'm sure most of us would be happy with his wages);

Agree Pato. Unless he wants to take a massive wage cut;

Sort of agree on Hunt, though to me he's only occassionally good - I think his general play is bottom quarter and would be looking for an upgrade on him.

Baker - yep, take a big cut. Maybe load the appearance money up a bit?

Weimann - we've got a year option so we just would need to invoke it. He would be realistic and expect lower deals if he moves on, so why not counter offer him 3 years (instead of taking the option) at say 70% of current earnings?

I trust Big Nige enough to make the right decisions.

The reality is that we won’t challenge for promotion with Hunt as our RB, Paterson in midfield and Baker on the injury list (where he spends too much of his time).

I like Rowe as cover and would keep him on.

I’m torn on Weimann because he has boundless pace and energy and has something different about him to offer the team but too often seems to play with his head down doing his own thing. Possibly has a role to play but not as a regular starter for me. 

7 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

He’s only 6’ 0” in his stocking feet you know.  That’s not very Big in the general scheme of things.  How about Slightly Taller Than Average Nige?

Ah, Sttan.

I'm not talking about height per se: "big" is big as in having gravitas. That's what I thought anyway. And that makes him at least 5 inches talller in my book.

1 hour ago, Edgy Red said:

Weimann

Paterson

Baker

Hunt

For me it's a total rebuild and cash in on players we get offers for because the current squad is currently to weak to achieve a promotion push .Also would like to see more physical and intelligent/flair players a nice mix.

6 hours ago, CodeRed said:

I think Rotherham will stay up. They have a few games in hand as well. 

For me, Walsh is the only one I’d try to retain. But the key point is that Pearson brings in his own players (and staff), not those recommended by Ashton and his team of failing analysts. We need a ‘reset’ in that department too, IMO. 

There are 2 questions here 

1) If these players were at other clubs would we sign them in June given their record over the last 2 season and their ages and injury record?

I think the answer is no.

2) Will NP be able to sign better, more effective players for the budget their moving on frees up?

I'd be very surprised if Nige didn't think that was possible.

Clear out and start again.

12 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Re Rowe -  don't want utility players who are average at every position and fill in when there's injuries - I want good players in their best position.

Also, Hunt and Patterson should go as they are poor.

Pearson may make a really good player out of Weimann.

I think we need less quantity and more quality generally. 

For the central mid roles, we have plenty of options and potential. Walsh, Williams, Palmer, Massengo, Vyner, Bakinson, Nagy - so Paterson can, slightly reluctantly, go IMO.

If NP continues with 4-2-3-1: I want more physicality and mobility in the wide roles - COD and Semenyo are a decent start, but i'd be looking to recruit in that area. Weimann could be good cover, so i'd keep him. 

Fam? Likely gone. Baker? Just not available enough. Hunt? Passed his peak, not helping us progress. Those 3 I think will go. 

Summer shopping list: 5 or 6 in's (dependant on 'in contract' out's)

At least 1 forward and a wide forward - both with strength and mobility.

Perhaps a holding midfielder, but i'd like to see Vyner grow into that role.

1 RB

2 CB's, one a prem loan, perhaps the other Mapps.

All dependant on injury returns and who is coming through from U23's/loans etc.

Definitely keep Walsh, plus Weimann if his future fitness can be proven to be unaffected by this injury.  

Perhaps Wollacott (no idea how good he is or what young keepers are coming up below him).

The rest - Hunt, Rowe, Baker, Adelakun, Paterson, Hinds, Watkins and Diedhiou should all go.

I've always liked Fammy but any contract offer (let alone the ridiculously generous one we are told he was offered) should have been withdrawn long ago.

Archived