IGNORED

England u21’s v Switzerland 2pm

steviestevieneville

30 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Even the most pessimistic England fan will find it difficult to argue that there are some absolute quality English players coming through. 

Listened to the latest 3 peeps in a podcast with John Clayton & David Horseman , ex city academy coaches. One now working in Southampton’s u23’s & one working for the EFL  helping academy’s. It was mentioned that the level of kids coming through at all levels is a very high standard. 
I've personally never paid much attention to the academy in the past but after watching the u18’s game the other night , perhaps I should. 

Probably get slated for this, but I was bitterly disappointed with our performance vs Fleetwood of our under-18’s. 

Seemed to be a ‘kick and rush’ approach, with no individual stand out performers or skill sets for me.

It was against Fleetwood though who did close us down quickly and, as I don’t follow northern academies much, I assume they’re on a par with the northern giants in the academy pyramid up in those parts.

Mind you, even at ages 16-18, I would be expecting our £££ expensive academy to have the nouse to deal with presses. 

On the upside, decent penalties and saves from our (small) keeper. 

2 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Even the most pessimistic England fan will find it difficult to argue that there are some absolute quality English players coming through. 

Call me pessimistic then because that was absolute garbage, we didn't have a single shot on target apart from that free kick if that's our future I'm not very hopeful at all.

Problem is any upcoming manager whose doing well will be in the club game until England age group jobs offer something more than clubs do, a fair amount may not agree but I think Lee Johnson would be an excellent England U21's head coach, take away any thoughts of recruiting players, here's a pool of players to pick from Lee.

Decent side the Swiss but blimey , how poor were we. Boothroyd is getting nowhere near the best out of this squad. Thought he should of gone after the last tournament. I don’t see how 343 is the best system for them or the full team. Our strength is in midfield , 4231 suits us best in my opinion. 
Southgate can’t play a back 3 tonight can he ? 

16 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Decent side the Swiss but blimey , how poor were we. Boothroyd is getting nowhere near the best out of this squad. Thought he should of gone after the last tournament. I don’t see how 343 is the best system for them or the full team. Our strength is in midfield , 4231 suits us best in my opinion. 

If he does, then that pretty much confirms he will play that formation every match - which is a crime considering the attacking resources we have

12 minutes ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

If he does, then that pretty much confirms he will play that formation every match - which is a crime considering the attacking resources we have

I sort of understood it in the past because he’s was obviously worried about our lack of quality in the centre half position. Plus he’s a ex centre half and a pragmatic coach . However , with a rejuvenated Jon stones back , I think we have to go 4231 . Mount can play one of the two plus a holding midfielder (rice,Henderson) .

kane up top with a three behind of either.  Foden ,grealish, sancho, Sterling  rashford, Maddison , Barnes. 

Not all available at the moment I know . Have I left anyone out ? 

38 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Playing McNeil as a wing back in an opening game of a championship when he's not played there before is criminal, Lloyd has been playing LB for Bournemouth but we put him at LCB (I know he's perfectly capable but still). How often does Hudson-Odoi play a drifting 10 role? Looked like he wanted to stay wide and come inside from what I watched. Looking at that squad I would have thought 433 would have been the way to go, personally I think 343 for a tournament system is risky as its a system that needs more work which is why it works at club level, just my opinion. The more organised systems which are easier to understand are the way to go for international football with players who (mostly) only play with each other every few months on average. 

433 with this team you'd have Aarons and Kelly FB's, Skipp holding with Jones/Davies/Gallagher paired with him or even drop Cantwell back in. McNeil and Hudson-Odoi wide driving into cut back areas feeding Nketiah whose movement would be hard to pick up.

You can see why that young lad who qualified for both England and Germany chose Germany...

Everyone going on about talent but they are at the age where character becomes more important.  I saw a total lack of cohesion and commitment.  Some awful body language and a lot of entitled young men, particularly the captain who didn't look at all interested.  

I guess the formation was done to copy the senior side but why on earth didn't we just play a back 4 with McNeill in front of Kelly and Sessgnon as back up I don't know.  We cannot play 3 4 3 as a nation because it involves an awful lot of coaching to be effective with highly mobile and adaptable players as well as hard work.  Those players looked like it was an effort to take a throw.  

5 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Obviously they weren't playing today, in saying that how the hell does a dinosaur like Boothroyd get the job and Southgate isn't much better 

2 hours ago, MichaelRobartes said:

To be fair to England, this is a very talented Swiss group. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they get further than people expect.

Exactly. People only look at who is playing for England, and then make assumptions that we have brilliant players and should steamroll the opposition.

What they forget is other countries also have excellent footballers, who are often more tactically aware than ours.

4 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Problem is any upcoming manager whose doing well will be in the club game until England age group jobs offer something more than clubs do, a fair amount may not agree but I think Lee Johnson would be an excellent England U21's head coach, take away any thoughts of recruiting players, here's a pool of players to pick from Lee.

Was thinking the exact same thing earlier.

6 hours ago, pillred said:

Call me pessimistic then because that was absolute garbage, we didn't have a single shot on target apart from that free kick if that's our future I'm not very hopeful at all.

I'm not going to overact after one game. The players are a good and I'm optimistic that many of this squad will go on to good things. 

Archived