Jump to content

England v San Marino


Lrrr
 Share

Recommended Posts

As ever, commentator and pundits big us up and do the little teams down.... didn’t actually see the car salesmen and the other part-timers wilt at all with the adrenaline of the first 20 minutes drained from them. In fact, they were better in the second half than they were in the first. 
 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can't really learn anything about tonight beating the blind school. Whether you win 5 nil or 7 nil doesn't make any difference - it is how we play against Poland next week that gives a much better indication of where we are right now. The Hungary-Poland result also basically means that if we beat Poland next week the group is pretty over for us.

France and Spain both drew at home to poorer sides and Portugal beat Azerbijan 1-0 in this round of games so if we can go through the group hassle free then it isn't something to moan about.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

France and Spain both drew at home to poorer sides and Portugal beat Azerbijan 1-0 in this round of games so if we can go through the group hassle free then it isn't something to moan about.

Yes, and Croatia lost to Slovenia, and Holland lost 4-2 to Turkey (although the result in Istanbul was perhaps not a complete surprise - Turkey looked good). 

With only the group winners guaranteed a qualification spot, and with the ten runners up playing off with two other teams for only three further qualification places, it's entirely possible one or two of the more highly ranked nations could end up in the play-offs and / or missing out altogether, as happened to Italy last time out. Still early days, but the play-offs are best avoided. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Can't really learn anything about tonight beating the blind school. Whether you win 5 nil or 7 nil doesn't make any difference - it is how we play against Poland next week that gives a much better indication of where we are right now. The Hungary-Poland result also basically means that if we beat Poland next week the group is pretty over for us.

France and Spain both drew at home to poorer sides and Portugal beat Azerbijan 1-0 in this round of games so if we can go through the group hassle free then it isn't something to moan about.

you never learn we will fukc up when it matters 5 nil or 7 nil does matter we failed to beat a team possibly san Marino 7 nil to qualify for the competition by only beating them 5 nil so it does f in matter

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, North London Red said:

Yes, and Croatia lost to Slovenia, and Holland lost 4-2 to Turkey (although the result in Istanbul was perhaps not a complete surprise - Turkey looked good). 

With only the group winners guaranteed a qualification spot, and with the ten runners up playing off with two other teams for only three further qualification places, it's entirely possible one or two of the more highly ranked nations could end up in the play-offs and / or missing out altogether, as happened to Italy last time out. Still early days, but the play-offs are best avoided. 

 

Croatia's group will be close I think, not much between 4 of the teams. I don't think Netherlands are winning their Group again, Norway currently have a talented group and Turkey are no mugs. Dutch are really lacking quality at the top of the pitch. 

All the rest of the groups will be won by the top seeds

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...