IGNORED

USA untapped

Mr Yoda

16 minutes ago, Mr Yoda said:

Interesting article on the been today re the aspirations of friends over the pond. 2026 is too early for them imo, but who knows. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56387717

Anyway, got me thinking, do we have anything in place with the US colleges or scouts over there? 

Can't think of any city players from the states.

None....the closest would be Jim Brennan (Canadian), followed by Alvoro Saborio (Costa Rica) and some religious bloke from Brazil, but he never really made much of an impact here...... :)

Edit..... Close being a very relative term, considering Basso was born nearly 5,000 miles from America!

Further edit: In fact, Joey Bryan is closer to being American than Basso! 

2 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

None....the closest would be Jim Brennan (Canadian), followed by Alvoro Saborio (Costa Rica) and some religious bloke from Brazil, but he never really made much of an impact here...... :)

I'd forgotten all about Saborio - I remember being quite excited by the idea of signing him at the time. 

talking about links, Didn’t we on our tour of America last year set up links with the American version of the championship? Wonder if we’ll tap into links for up and coming players looking to break into the MLS? America has some really talented players coming through 

Don't you have to be pretty well off in the USA in order to be able to play 'Soccer'

Not certain but perhaps why they struggle is because so much talent is missed out on because they can't afford to play.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/jun/01/us-soccer-diversity-problem-world-football - Article from 2016

21 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Edit..... Close being a very relative term, considering Basso was born nearly 5,000 miles from America!

Further edit: In fact, Joey Bryan is closer to being American than Basso! 

Shaun Goater - Bermuda isn't far from the US

2 minutes ago, The Batman said:

Greg Goodridge and Barbados. Further south but probably closer then Bermuda to the USA. 

I'll have to consult the map. 

Nope. According to a quick search. (used miami as the point of reference.) Bermuda is approx 1000 miles away and Barbados is 1600 miles. Didn't realise how far south and across Barbados was. 

Every day is a school day. 

29 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I'd forgotten all about Saborio - I remember being quite excited by the idea of signing him at the time. 

I thought he was a great player, but he definitely didnt work out for whatever reason. Seems to have a fantastic goalscoring record everywhere else

Anyone remember Les Wilson? 71-73 with City. Born in Manchester but family moved to Vancouver, Canada when he was 7y.o. Came to us from Wolves and looks like he’s had a good career in coaching & admin back in Canada. Wiki says he played 9 different positions for Wolves & they didn’t even have LJ as Head Coach. Square pegs etc.

I remember when he signed for us it seemed quite “exotic”, a Canadian! We also had Chuck Drury but he just had a US kinda name ?

Not strictly US, but under Lee Johnson I believe there was an attempt to build a bit of a relationship with the Vancouver Whitecaps, then managed by Carl Robinson who plays lots of football in this country.

We played a behind closed doors friendly with them at some stage and rumours we were running an eye over a couple of their players. 

I went to school with Alan Dicks’ son - still in contact with him. He is a Sports Business Development Manager based in Florida - he’s worked with the likes of Roma, Chelsea, Celtic, the US National team and the Mexican National team ... fed up of seeing selfies featuring him and famous football stars! He’s pretty well connected ...

1 hour ago, RidgeRed said:

Anyone remember Les Wilson? 71-73 with City. Born in Manchester but family moved to Vancouver, Canada when he was 7y.o. Came to us from Wolves and looks like he’s had a good career in coaching & admin back in Canada. Wiki says he played 9 different positions for Wolves & they didn’t even have LJ as Head Coach. Square pegs etc.

I remember when he signed for us it seemed quite “exotic”, a Canadian! We also had Chuck Drury but he just had a US kinda name ?

I liked Les Wilson. 

He was a bit like a right footed Terry Cooper.

Don't think he was here long though.

Archived