IGNORED

Bristol band IDLES

Shtanley

2 hours ago, mozo said:

Ah mate! I saw the holy trinity of Idles, Sleaford Mods and [Liam] Fontaines DC that year. Loved it. Was a great Glastonbury all round though mind.

Idles set was awesome this year, really felt like it meant a lot to them to be playing there. Saw them again at downs festival, still very good but didn’t have the same magic / live up to the Glasto one 

• Like 2

Grew up loving a lot of punk; the Clash, the Sex Pistols, the Ramones are some of my favourite bands of all time.

IDLES are fantastic and one of the only bands that I think can hold the torch of their predecessors in the modern times of Imagine Dragons and Greta van Fleet. Joy as an Act of Resistance is fantastic. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mozo said:

Ah mate! I saw the holy trinity of Idles, Sleaford Mods and [Liam] Fontaines DC that year. Loved it. Was a great Glastonbury all round though mind.

Good set of bands there.love fontaines dc..murder capital even better,one of the best bands i,ve seen live

1 hour ago, internetjef said:

Idles set was awesome this year, really felt like it meant a lot to them to be playing there. Saw them again at downs festival, still very good but didn’t have the same magic / live up to the Glasto one 

I was supposed to be seeing then in May but pushed back to January now... ?

17 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Something slightly different to help you get through the international break. Jon Beavis, the drummer from Bristol-band IDLES joins OSIB. 

We discuss the band's meteoric rise, the years of misery it took to get there, his favourite gigs and his inability to stage-dive.

Not a huge amount of Bristol City chat in this one, but a great interview nonetheless! If you've not heard their music, I suggest you check it out. 

http://linktr.ee/osibpodcast

17 hours ago, archie andrews said:

what a load of shite.....

Archie doesn't want guitar lessons.

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Haha 4

Massively respect Idles for what they have achieved just not my type of music at all. Completely irrelevant though....a brilliant interview and very interesting to hear band dynamics, how hard they worked and made me reminisce about going to gigs 1-2 times per week in Bristol before having kids put a stop to all that ! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great interview @Shtanley. I got acquainted with the Idles a bit whilst listening to Radio 6 recently. However due to my advancing years, I couldn't tell you anything about their music except I was impressed enough to look them up on spotify.

That drummer sounded a bit like Joe Bryan to me.

And the football chat was a bit more on topic than usual without Dave there being an antagonist.

• Like 1

I enjoyed it.

My only reservation was when hearing about the band setting a 5 year plan with their record company, with number one album on the list. My naive rock n roll romanticism would have counterculture bands like Idles balk at setting career milestones, but having heard about the long road to their debut album, and the escape from working bars, even a foolish idealist can completely understand the value of 'making it'. Plus, Danny Nedelko is hardly a pop song. They sound like they're in a good place now. Hopefully they'll retain their edge and energy and keep touring.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mozo said:

I enjoyed it.

My only reservation was when hearing about the band setting a 5 year plan with their record company, with number one album on the list. My naive rock n roll romanticism would have counterculture bands like Idles balk at setting career milestones, but having heard about the long road to their debut album, and the escape from working bars, even a foolish idealist can completely understand the value of 'making it'. Plus, Danny Nedelko is hardly a pop song. They sound like they're in a good place now. Hopefully they'll retain their edge and energy and keep touring.

To be fair, I don’t think Idles are particularly counterculture. A bit of shouting doesn’t stop their music from being commercial and sloganeering. 

But I don’t think they’ve ever claimed to be originators. 

About 4 years ago I had the same view as some comments in here, shouty, loud and violent etc. Did not get it at all.

Then kept slowly going back to them with songs like Danny, eased myself in via the videos on YouTube and I’m now a huge Idles fan. Love everything about them and what they do, in-fact I think they have altered my taste in music to some degree.

Jon’s drumming on Ultra Mono is insane and he’s gonna have to keep fitness up for the tour.

wonderful podcast guys, loved it, thank you x

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chowie said:

About 4 years ago I had the same view as some comments in here, shouty, loud and violent etc. Did not get it at all.

Then kept slowly going back to them with songs like Danny, eased myself in via the videos on YouTube and I’m now a huge Idles fan. Love everything about them and what they do, in-fact I think they have altered my taste in music to some degree.

Jon’s drumming on Ultra Mono is insane and he’s gonna have to keep fitness up for the tour.

wonderful podcast guys, loved it, thank you x

Yeah I recommended them to someone and they responded that it was very punky which I think they meant as a negative. If you give them a proper listen though it's definitely not punk. There are catchy riffs in there and the sound fluctuates from indie to post-punk to grunge.

I listened to it last night (for pure lockdown / missing BCFC footy reasons). I did not have a clue who Jon Beavis or the Idols (Idles!) were before the podcast (not surprising really as I am 57 and l now live outside of brizzle), but was pleasantly surprised by it and although it was long, listened to the end and found it really interesting, enjoyed hearing his experiences as a fan combined with his life and work in the music industry.

Another great podcast, whatever young Archie thinks of it.....

• Like 3

• Admin
On 27/03/2021 at 15:03, Shtanley said:

Something slightly different to help you get through the international break. Jon Beavis, the drummer from Bristol-band IDLES joins OSIB. 

We discuss the band's meteoric rise, the years of misery it took to get there, his favourite gigs and his inability to stage-dive.

Not a huge amount of Bristol City chat in this one, but a great interview nonetheless! If you've not heard their music, I suggest you check it out. 

http://linktr.ee/osibpodcast

Interestingly they have been announced as appearing in this years Glastonbury online festival 

• Like 1

On 30/03/2021 at 00:03, Bouncearoundtheground said:

To be fair, I don’t think Idles are particularly counterculture. A bit of shouting doesn’t stop their music from being commercial and sloganeering. 

But I don’t think they’ve ever claimed to be originators. 

Or working class for that matter

34 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

Or working class for that matter

Couldn't care less if they were working class, lower middle, upper middle or whatever. There's plenty of shit working class bands out there with meaningless lyrics and no social awareness. 

• Like 2