IGNORED

Bristol band IDLES

Shtanley

43 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

Or working class for that matter

You'll be hard pressed to find anyone genuinely working class in the post-punk scene at the moment, with the exception of Sleaford Mods. Nothing wrong with it mind, Joe Strummer was privately educated and grew up in middle class surroundings.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KegCity said:

You'll be hard pressed to find anyone genuinely working class in the post-punk scene at the moment, with the exception of Sleaford Mods. Nothing wrong with it mind, Joe Strummer was privately educated and grew up in middle class surroundings.

I’ve played in the same band (now called Levi Valentino) since 1997, and I think it’s probably a rich mans game now playing in bands, the equipments expensive, the practicing is expensive, you get next to no money from gigs (in comparison to the time you spend getting there, setting up, playing, packing up) you get no money from streaming.  If you were genuinely from a poor working class background, the last thing you’d do (or be able to do) is form a band, much better going solo or doing more electronic stuff 

• Like 1

On 27/03/2021 at 18:47, mozo said:

Ah mate! I saw the holy trinity of Idles, Sleaford Mods and [Liam] Fontaines DC that year. Loved it. Was a great Glastonbury all round though mind.

Have just purchased some F DC re-sale tickets for the Academy in October. Not been this excited about a gig since forever. 

1 hour ago, archie andrews said:

I dont know what they drink just better in my book... 

That's cool. Jason Williamson really impressed me when I saw them. It's basically a one man show; he's up at the front of the stage on his own, not just carrying the whole performance with his vocals but effectively acting out characters as well, like some sort of lo-fi grime-punk cabaret with a load of c-bombs. 

There's plenty of room in this world for both Idles and Sleafords and the mild friction between them was a bit childish really.

On 27/03/2021 at 15:25, !james said:

I assumed you listened to the podcast before you called it a 'load of shite'? What constructive criticism can you offer the OSIB team?

Again a matter of opinion but I do find the OSIB podcast a little boring. I think its more for the hosts to have a laugh and attempt some one liners with a little bit of football thrown in. I far prefer the chat on the FBC podcast.

• Confused 1

On 31/03/2021 at 09:46, KegCity said:

Are they genuinely "working class" (whatever that means these days)? I was, actually a little unsurprised, to hear them interviewed and it's fair to say Williamson accentuates his midlands accent and Andrew doesn't even have one. Not the only measure of whether someone is working class, but as with Idles, I get the impression they are a bit more suburban middle-England than they make out. Stand to be corrected tho 

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Are they genuinely "working class" (whatever that means these days)? I was, actually a little unsurprised, to hear them interviewed and it's fair to say Williamson accentuates his midlands accent and Andrew doesn't even have one. Not the only measure of whether someone is working class, but as with Idles, I get the impression they are a bit more suburban middle-England than they make out. Stand to be corrected tho 

Can't say for certain but I've read interviews where they claim to be one of the only "genuine" "working class" voices in the scene, although I have no idea whether it's true or not. I'd be inclined to agree with you, just because being a band is becoming an increasingly middle class pursuit due to the cost of getting instruments etc and having enough time on your hands.

51 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

This interview suggests he ran the gamut of low-skill, poorly paid jobs before trying to make it as a performer.  A friend's ex- played drums in one of his pre-SM bands and says Jason's quite "laddy". He is surprised by how politically minded he is these days.

https://www.healio.com/news/primary-care/20210129/covid19-reduces-fertility-in-men-study-suggests

With accents, I think you vary it subconsciously depending on who you spend the most time with.  Now the pair make decent bunce, probably have more refined holiday destinations and spend time with journalists and record company staff,  I'd be surprised if they were as broad off-stage as when performing.

I can empathise. I left the West Country when I was 18 and my natural Somerset accent just faded over time and was very indistinct by the time I was reading news bulletins on Radio 4 - although I did have one arsewipe of a listener write in to complain about my "yokel pronunciation"  :laughcont: .  I've lived back down here for a decade now and my childhood accent has never entirely returned although my kids say I have a "pub voice" I use when chatting to guys I know who've never left Somerset. This is entirely subconscious. I've never deliberately tried to change my speaking voice. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

This interview suggests he ran the gamut of low-skill, poorly paid jobs before trying to make it as a performer.  A friend's ex- played drums in one of his pre-SM bands and says Jason's quite "laddy". He is surprised by how politically minded he is these days.

https://www.healio.com/news/primary-care/20210129/covid19-reduces-fertility-in-men-study-suggests

With accents, I think you vary it subconsciously depending on who you spend the most time with.  Now the pair make decent bunce, probably have more refined holiday destinations and spend time with journalists and record company staff,  I'd be surprised if they were as broad off-stage as when performing.

I can empathise. I left the West Country when I was 18 and my natural Somerset accent just faded over time and was very indistinct by the time I was reading news bulletins on Radio 4 - although I did have one arsewipe of a listener write in to complain about my "yokel pronunciation"  :laughcont: .  I've lived back down here for a decade now and my childhood accent has never entirely returned although my kids say I have a "pub voice" I use when chatting to guys I know who've never left Somerset. This is entirely subconscious. I've never deliberately tried to change my speaking voice. 

It would be amusing to hear you at Ashton Gate shouting abuse at the ref in a Radio 4 news voice.

Jason Williamson was interviewed on the Adam Buxton podcast and he didn't sound like a feral ne'er-do-well, but who cares?

I think both bands are far more authentic in their social portraits than 99% of music out there, and it's typical OTIB to get bogged down in this petty criticism.

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I think it's really hard to pigeonhole a lot of people nowadays. Back in the day it was easy. Factory workers, miners, labourers etc were working class. Clerical, bankers etc were middle class.

It's more difficult now. Is an IT person earning £22k a year classed as middle class, whereas a factory worker on £28k a year gets classed as working class?

If you work in a bank, but your parents were a cleaner and a building labourer, have you jumped up a class, or does your upbringing keep you as working class?

It's all a bit silly.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mozo said:

It would be amusing to hear you at Ashton Gate shouting abuse at the ref in a Radio 4 news voice.

Jason Williamson was interviewed on the Adam Buxton podcast and he didn't sound like a feral ne'er-do-well, but who cares?

I think both bands are far more authentic in their social portraits than 99% of music out there, and it's typical OTIB to get bogged down in this petty criticism.

20 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I know! I`ve lived down in Devon for thirty years but if I meet someone who`s broad Bristol.....................................................

• Like 1

On 01/04/2021 at 12:45, Kid in the Riot said:

They've been drinking in BS3.

Act and sound proper. 

On 01/04/2021 at 13:49, Red-Robbo said:

Totally mate, it doesn't take long to lose the West Country LaLaLa twang when you live and work with 'foreigners'.

My missus grew up in the North East of England and went to Oxford Uni, but now considers herself Bristolian and has been a season ticket holder at City for over 20 years. But the first time I took her to a City game in the 90s, we went in the Wedlocks for a pre-match pint and I bumped into an old mate from school and I started talking, to her ears, a foreign language. 

Also I was for a few years signed to a London-based record label where you just wouldn't and couldn't speak with a West country accent. Yet they still regarded us as thick yokels :(  I humbly and genuinely apologise to my Bristolian brothers and sisters for betraying you.

• Like 3

On 01/04/2021 at 13:49, Red-Robbo said:

I've lived back down here for a decade now and my childhood accent has never entirely returned although my kids say I have a "pub voice" I use when chatting to guys I know who've never left Somerset.

Weird init.
I don't think I've got a strong accent, but I do have an accent compared to the Wife (Essex). She has said the same to me, I've never noticed obviously .

• Like 2