IGNORED

Away grounds

daored

Blackpool away before it got redeveloped, it was like a ground time had forgotten, huge swathes of terraces that had been unused for years. I think we won 1-0 in front of about 4k fans, the terraces looked like they would’ve held 40k tbf. 

pompey, Cardiff, Plymouth and Fulham always fun, worst for me is always reading - so sterile 

41 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Was the Millwall game the one where Andy Llewellyn scored to put us one up (never been so relieved when they equalised!) and the coaches got bricked after the game? Darts, coins, snooker balls and all sorts coming over the fence - I`m glad I had a donkey jacket on and could just pull it over my head! You used to have to walk to the ground over an old bombsite that was in a hollow and their lot just stood at the top lobbing bricks down at you.

What got me in the ground was that the ones climbing the fence weren`t kids they were mostly middle aged men!

Yep that was the day. Two coach loads of City turned up late half way through the 1st half and the ground started to empty as 100s of Wall tried to get out the ground, Everyone was watching the running battle going on outside rather than the game.

The ground got sprayed up by some certain City fans (remain nameless) the night before. This was when City were a highly active mob on away days. Cold Blow lane was a serious away game for those that had the bottle in the 80s.

13 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

Yep that was the day. Two coach loads of City turned up late half way through the 1st half and the ground started to empty as 100s of Wall tried to get out the ground, Everyone was watching the running battle going on outside rather than the game.

The ground got sprayed up by some certain City fans (remain nameless) the night before. This was when City were a highly active mob on away days. Cold Blow lane was a serious away game for those that had the bottle in the 80s.

I heard it was the weekend before after a load of ours had gone to watch Nicky Wilshere fight at Bethnal Green. Might just have been a rumour at the time though.

2 hours ago, Mighty Squirrel Kingdom said:

York away in the FA Cup in the late nineties was fun. Good turn out at a ground that looked as if it hadn't been updated since before the war.

Even though it was a dump and intimidating, Ninian Park.

I think I was there it rained and Ralph Milne scored great day 

1 hour ago, GasDestroyer said:

I did most grounds through the 80s and 90s with City and there is only one away ground where I can honestly say I felt intimidating and that is the old Cold Blow Lane where Millwall played before moving to the new ground. Only time I have seen home fans try to actually climb the fence to get into the City away end. That ground was on another level.

The old Ninian Park was sketchy but you were always with a big mob of City there so no worries.

The second most intimidating for me was the old Ayresome Park one year when Boro were out for City that night due to what happened at Ashton Gate earlier in the season.

Surely we didn’t take numbers up to Boro midweek? Must’ve been a handful of fans for a midweek game, mainly shirters.

1 hour ago, Offside said:

I’ve always enjoyed going to grounds in London (even QPR) because it’s a decent away day with lots to do. 

Newcastle is a great away day - their ground is right in the centre and it’s a nice city.

Reading is awful - absolutely nothing to do around the ground. 

Port Vale is the coldest ground I’ve ever been to.

I hated Villa Park the only time I’ve been there (2-0 defeat) - the faculties in the away end (top tier) were absolutely awful and I got stuck in terrible traffic coming home. Got back home at about 2.30 am. I still shudder thinking about it. 

Reading town centre is decent.

Why anyone would go near the ground early doors is beyond me.

28 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

It was. A league game on a bank holiday (May 2nd - my birthday is why I remember)

Great day..scored fairly near the end if I remember correctly...went up in my mates Ford XR4i, got back in about 2 and half hours ?

One of the worst, Luton - an absolute dump, effectively walking through someone's house via turnstiles to the away end.

For trepidation, Millwall at the old Den - had you right on edge from the moment you arrived to the moment you left. You did well to get out unscathed!

For access, Selhurst Park by car, bloody nightmare!

As others have mentioned, travelling in numbers always helps the situation! Sneaking a pint in a pub in Canton (the Albion?) for the old Ninian Park....happy memories!

For some reason going to the Manor Ground (Oxford for the young uns) used to leave me in a bad mood. I dont like the town, the ground was a craphole and their fans were more than a little chopsy outside the old Cuckoo Lane End. I still remember leaning over a wall at the back of that End and seeing a couple of young "skins" trying to kick down the gates before suddenly turning and running back toward the hospital....City fans in hot pursuit. You could hear the roar of approval when caught. Pompey has always been an interesting place too. "Friendly Fratton" as it's known. 

The better away days? I like going to Saints, purely because of the eateries on the front, or in Winchester on the way down. Always enjoyed going to Gay Meadow too. For atmosphere? Wolves took some beating

13 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

For some reason going to the Manor Ground (Oxford for the young uns) used to leave me in a bad mood. I dont like the town, the ground was a craphole and their fans were more than a little chopsy outside the old Cuckoo Lane End. I still remember leaning over a wall at the back of that End and seeing a couple of young "skins" trying to kick down the gates before suddenly turning and running back toward the hospital....City fans in hot pursuit. You could hear the roar of approval when caught. Pompey has always been an interesting place too. "Friendly Fratton" as it's known. 

The better away days? I like going to Saints, purely because of the eateries on the front, or in Winchester on the way down. Always enjoyed going to Gay Meadow too. For atmosphere? Wolves took some beating

Yep, Molyneux was a good ground for atmosphere. Usually because Bully used to score goals for fun v us. Bolton’s old ground was good for atmosphere also.

Any ground that had a stop off on the way home was OK by me. Blackpool stop off on a few occasions). Ashby de la Zouch was a regular stop off with the lot I went with (until the pub’s till got nicked one year by a certain City fan). 

Used to like some of the tight compact grounds as they always generated an atmosphere. Away days were always eventful through the 80s and 90s.

Never liked Oxfords old ground, seemed to take ages to get home. Not too many others I hated going to though, that said, never liked Palace & Luton.

Millwall's Old Den could be intimidating, and a cold trip home with no windows in your van. Newport could be iffy too, but lots of places in the 70s/80s you had to keep your wits about you.

Fulham is great, actually most London trips are good, used to love Upton Park. I've got QPR mares so enjoy that one, even if the ground is shit. Swansea used to be good, not been to the new ground yet. Any ground you can find a decent pub between the ground and the station is good, had a brilliant day at Burton a few years ago , football was shocking but great day. Actually that can be said of many away games.

2 minutes ago, Offside said:

Yes he did! Their partnership was superb. 

I think we missed a penalty first half as well. 

cant remember. I remember the incessant rain, the Cardiff fans pathetic chant about Paul Wimbleton (I think even many of them were embarassed), I remember a win, I remember Robbie parting a couple of defenders for a header (when physical contact was legal) and I remember the coins and bottles flying over the top

6 hours ago, Banjo Island said:

Ayresome park was the worst away trip for me small mob of city surrounded by boro's finest all game remember tom ritchie bursting clear and praying he'd miss thankfully he did

Ha ha. There's a funny passage in Nick Hornby's book Fever Pitch where he describes an (Arsenal ) away trip to Derby. The Baseball Ground was also a pretty intimidating place in those days: I can remember being pelted with coins and hair-raising trip to the station. Anyway, he describes how, at 1-1 and the end of the game approaching he's thinking that's probably not a bad scoreline in terms of getting safely out of the ground without too much attention from the similar mob of Derby fans. Then Charlie George breaks clear, like you he's praying that he'll miss. Not only does he score, but being Charlie George he follows up with an elaborate celebration right in front of the Derby mob, giving them V signs and the works! As Nick Hornby says...thanks for that Charlie: you don't have to get back to the station! 

Worst ground,any one from three of,Eastville,Trumpton or The old Rugby ground,most intimidating none of the aforementioned,best atmosphere ,Eastville when ever we played there.

Best away grounds for their fans, based on my visits to them and IMO, are Liverpool and Man City.

Worst away grounds for their fans being so disagreeable when City have won there, again because I was there, Man United, Leeds and Swindle Town.

Decrepit grounds when I went there. Huddersfield, Northampton, Swansea and Stoke.

22 hours ago, archie andrews said:

they was chucking stuff from behind us and city forced the gates open 89 i was there

Also Swansea, Brum and Bolton in the same season were very, very lively, as for Reading I haven't bothered for 10 years, for intimidation you wouldn't beat the old den also the grim northern towns were usually lively who remembers Stockport? 

17 minutes ago, Galway Red said:

Also Swansea, Brum and Bolton in the same season were very, very lively, as for Reading I haven't bothered for 10 years, for intimidation you wouldn't beat the old den also the grim northern towns were usually lively who remembers Stockport? 

Stockport away I was there.
If memory serves me right, it was the next away game after City rioted at Reading. Man City Guvnors firm turned out also to have a pop teaming up with Stockport. Met some Man City at an England away game who mentioned the Stockport game. That season, nearly every away game was kickin off with Bristol City who were highly active on and off the pitch. 
Some young uns on here must wonder what football was like in the 80s? A lot different to nowadays!

1 hour ago, Galway Red said:

Certainly remember Stockport ?

Archived