IGNORED

Fighting Planned New Housing

And Its Smith

Just wondering if anyone can provide any help or experience in fighting new housing development plans.  My neighbours and I are resigned to the fact that 150 new houses will be built very close to us but current access plans to the new housing means that traffic and bottle necking will increase incredibly and our quiet road will become a bit of a nightmare. There are alternative access ideas being dismissed by the council owned building company presumably due to cost which, if we could convince them to do, would elevate all concerns.  

Does any one have any experience in fighting such things ?  The fight might all be in vain but we can but try! 

9 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Just wondering if anyone can provide any help or experience in fighting new housing development plans.  My neighbours and I are resigned to the fact that 150 new houses will be built very close to us but current access plans to the new housing means that traffic and bottle necking will increase incredibly and our quiet road will become a bit of a nightmare. There are alternative access ideas being dismissed by the council owned building company presumably due to cost which, if we could convince them to do, would elevate all concerns.  

Does any one have any experience in fighting such things ?  The fight might all be in vain but we can but try! 

I have a good amount of experience from working with various London Councils. I may be able to give you some advice on what makes life difficult for them if there are any objections from residents. TBH if its just an access issue that residents have then it seems quite simple to overcome.  Drop me a PM and I'll see if I can help. 

I did a bit 4-5 years ago. Local pub was to be demolished and 22 flats put up. The pub we got registered as an ACV, but the method we chose to really fight on was the loss of the associated car park and parking provision. We got the application turned down and they pulled out of an appeal. Planning officer said they’d never seen such an organised and well supported objection campaign.

Owner still closed the pub. June 2017. But we kept fighting.

Pub now reopens 17th May this year.

Moral of the story - You can win if your case is strong enough and you can fight hard enough. Really go on the traffic angle would be my advice. Good luck.

15 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I did a bit 4-5 years ago. Local pub was to be demolished and 22 flats put up. The pub we got registered as an ACV, but the method we chose to really fight on was the loss of the associated car park and parking provision. We got the application turned down and they pulled out of an appeal. Planning officer said they’d never seen such an organised and well supported objection campaign.

Moral of the story - You can win if your case is strong enough and you can fight hard enough. Really go on the traffic angle would be my advice. Good luck.

Sadly, I fear the redecoration and lack of investment will be its downfall and I will be amazed if it’s open this time next year. 

3 minutes ago, ziderheadarmy said:

Sadly, I fear the redecoration and lack of investment will be its downfall and I will be amazed if it’s open this time next year. 

Tbf a lot appears to have been done to the inside. Externally it’s waiting for the Co-Op to come and then it will be refreshed then. Ultimately all you can do is deliver the asset the community say they want - and it’s now up to them to use it.

31 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

In this case the traffic angle is certainly the Achilles heel for the council. Luckily the residents have jumped on this very early in the peace and have very valid objections. In their favour is that they aren't fighting the actual development but just the access issue. Should be relatively easy to argue their case and overcome the problem.

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Tbf a lot appears to have been done to the inside. Externally it’s waiting for the Co-Op to come and then it will be refreshed then. Ultimately all you can do is deliver the asset the community say they want - and it’s now up to them to use it.

Without wanting to sound harsh. It’s hard to polish a turd. It probably needed 100k plus spending on it easy. The lack of garden and food will also be a killer. Doesn’t help having stanshaws, a weatherspoons and numerous decent pubs in Sodbury high street all within a 10 minute walk. 

Archived