IGNORED

The Three Best that you have seen playing live

cidered abroad

It's still a couple of days before we start thinking about Stoke so how about the three best sportsmen/women that you have seen live. One must be Football!

Mine are:

Football - John Charles of Wales, Leeds United and Juventus. I saw him for Leeds at Ashton Gate. A giant of a player in stature and ability. Played centre half and centre forward with amazing skill.

Cricket - Ray Lindwall, fast bowler for Australia who I saw in 1953 at Nevil Road against Glos. I dreamed of being a fast bowler like him. I never was but in heaven when I saw him.

Rugby - Barry John a Welsh fly half. Built on the slight side but what a brilliant player. Saw him at Cardiff against England.

Football - Ronaldo - Brazil vs Sweden in the Umbro Cup at Villa park back in the 90’s. I expect there will be a fair few on here that have seen Messi live though. 

Tom Brady - New England Patriots @ New York Jets 2016 (Brady won the Super Bowl that season)

Chris Gayle - multiple times for Somerset. One of the best, if not the best T20 batsmen ever. 

Football, Steven Gerrard, for a spell he was simply magnificent. The way he drove a very poor Liverpool side on to recover from 3-0 down to beat AC Milan in the 2005 Champions League final still amazes me all these years later.

Rugby, Jonah Lomu, the first global superstar of the game, he was just phenomenal for someone his size to be able to run like an Olympic sprinter. I was lucky enough to be paid to watch him play at the Gate in the 1999 RWC. This may change when I finally get to see Semi Radradra play live!

Cricket, technically I’ve seen both Shane Warne and Muttiah Muralitharan play live, albeit Warne was batting! But, I’ll go for Ben Stokes, after what he did in the 2019 World Cup Final, and then at Headingley later that summer in the Ashes just puts him in front for me.

Football - Ronaldo - villa v man u in the prem, turned it on for 20 mins made a mockery of Villa and then just chilled out for the next 20 mins until the game finished.

Football - Henry - villa v Arsenal in the prem, him and Bergkamp picked villa to pieces. 

Football - Ronaldinho - Barcelona v Real zaragoza, just different level skill, knew he was going to score 2 minutes before he did, could see the body language change. 

Football : Lionel Messi whilst watching a Barca game. I was in the cheap seats so he looked like an ant, but at least I can say I saw him

Rugby U : Was lucky enough to get on a company jolly to watch England against NZ at an Autumn international. I think it was 2014 and England lost (just) but Richie McCaw was everywhere. Legend

Snooker : Not top of my list but saw Ronnie Play in Newport. Not glamorous at all but he scored a couple of centuries 

Messi for Barcalona several times; lazy, short, slow just brilliant!

Hamilton (if you count GP as a sport), if not Redgrave for rowing his way into every record book

Sir Alastair Cook, for being our Opening bat for 12 years, winning Ashes and having such a great start and finish to an illustrious sporting career. It was weird seeing open their batting without him. Highlight, Batting with KP in Mumbai to win the match and that series 2012. Dont think any side has won a series there since - any may not do again in our lifetime

Arjen robben is the best ive seen live,,, england v holland in a friendly about 15 years ago, huuntlaar scored with a header and broke his nose and got knocked out at the same time.... i think robben scored 2 and absolutely terrorised us.

next, gerard pique for barcelona... absolutely oozed class 

i will say messi, but i wasnt really impressed with him, until he whacked a freekick in the top corner.

have seen lots of top players against england. Bale was dangerous, and have seen brazil a few times too.

Other than some 20/20 cricket matches, I've only ever seen professional football.

So, the best I've seen:

Ryan Giggs (GB Olympic team)

Zlatan Ibrahimovic (City v Man U)

Nasser Hussain - this is cheating, I wanted 1 non-football but I never saw Nasser play. A mate of mine (literally!) bumped into him at a Glos 20/20 match ?

It’s hard to know if I should go for the best sportsmen I’ve seen live or the best live performances I’ve seen, as they’re not always the same.

For instance, I went to an El Classico and Messi and Ronaldo were good but not as good as Liam Brady was against City in the 70’s 

I was lucky enough to see Richards, Garner and Botham so many times that I saw them all have stinkers and all be world class brilliant. So difficult to chose between a couple of Richards tons that won us matches, one in the Gillette cup v Warwickshire and one at Lords in a final. Or Joel, who was so consistent, especially in limited overs, he really did win us matches single handed, I’ll probably go with him.

One of Faldo, Seve, Tom Brady, Federer and Serena Williams would make up a third.

Sorry, Im rubbish at picking favourites 

Football - George Best. My dad took me to Old Trafford in 1969 to see him play. The greatest ever in my opinion. 

Cricket - Viv Richards. Power, grace, effortless domination of bowlers. 

Football - Maradona. Saw him at White Hart Lane in Ossie Ardiles' testimonial. Ridiculous talent 

Football- Eric Cantona for Man United v Arsenal charity shield. Free ticket mate was on Arsenals books 

Boxing - Anthony Joshua v Dillian Whyte. Granted he’s not the best but best I’ve seen live.

Football - Suarez at Ashton Gate.

Some lucky people on here seeing some of the greats . Tiger Woods , Viv Richards, Botham and my idol growing up besides Alan Walsh . Sir Nick Faldo . Very envious 

George Best. Saw him playing at West Brom, Bomber Brown scored 2 for the Albion and Best getting relentless stick from the home fans scored a cracker for Manu.

Mike Procter Gloucester cricket.  To see him steam in from his boundary runup and bowl at 90 MPH was a sight to behold.

Horse Racing. Not so much a superstar sportsman but was at Cheltenham when Michael Dickinson saddled the first 5 home  in the Gold Cup.              A feat then that was unthinkable, no doubt an Irish trainer could well better it in time.

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

It's still a couple of days before we start thinking about Stoke so how about the three best sportsmen/women that you have seen live. One must be Football!

Mine are:

Football - John Charles of Wales, Leeds United and Juventus. I saw him for Leeds at Ashton Gate. A giant of a player in stature and ability. Played centre half and centre forward with amazing skill.

Cricket - Ray Lindwall, fast bowler for Australia who I saw in 1953 at Nevil Road against Glos. I dreamed of being a fast bowler like him. I never was but in heaven when I saw him.

Rugby - Barry John a Welsh fly half. Built on the slight side but what a brilliant player. Saw him at Cardiff against England.

Bowie, Roxy & Peter Frampton

6 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I was there - what a night that was! I remember it like it was yesterday!

I saw him at the Colston same year I think. It was his Ziggy Stardust tour.  Front row choir seats. Saw him again in Adelaide on his Stage tour.

Saw Frampton on his Comes Alive tour in Adelaide late 70's I'm guessing.

Roxy & Ferry 28 times pretty much the world over.

I was at the first show. He played two shows that evening. Got Taunton tickets because he wasn’t playing Bristol originally. Then it was announced he was playing Bristol after all due to demand.

Seen Plant, Jagger, Daltrey, etc but none a patch on Cutler... Adge the best front man of the lot.

4 minutes ago, BigTone said:

I saw him at the Colston same year I think. It was his Ziggy Stardust tour.  Front row choir seats. Saw him again in Adelaide on his Stage tour.

Saw Frampton on his Comes Alive tour in Adelaide late 70's I'm guessing.

Roxy & Ferry 28 times pretty much the world over.

3 minutes ago, ray savino said:

I was at the first show. He played two shows that evening. Got Taunton tickets because he wasn’t playing Bristol originally. Then it was announced he was playing Bristol after all due to demand.

Seen Plant, Jagger, Daltrey, etc but none a patch on Cutler... Adge the best front man of the lot.

I was at the second one. I saw him years later twice at Milton Keynes Bowl, once during the Lets Dance tour and the other (I think) the Glass Spider one.

I still miss him.

Dalglish & Suarez are probably the best 2 footballers I have seen live, though Ricky Villa was incredible once at Ashton Gate on a frozen pitch, he looked like he was playing a different game to everyone else (including Ardiles & Hoddle).

Pretty sure I saw a John Player league cricket match at the Imperial Ground in Brislington once, Somerset v Hampshire. Somerset included Sir Viv, Ian Botham & Joel Garner, Hampshire had Barry Richards, Gordon Greenidge & Andy Roberts in theirs, I mean, come on..

Archived