IGNORED

The Three Best that you have seen playing live

cidered abroad

24 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Bowie, Roxy & Peter Frampton

18 minutes ago, ray savino said:

Bowie - Taunton Odeon 1973

Pink Floyd - Bristol Hippodrome 1974

Adge Cutler and the Wurzels - Cleve Rugby Club 1968?

As we’re drifting down the musical route I’ll include 3 in 1. Stream Packet at the Corn Exchange Bristol who included Julie Driscoll, Long John Baldrey and Rod Stewart. This meets the “one must be football “ as Rod Stewart had a trial at Brentford 

24 minutes ago, ray savino said:

I was at the first show. He played two shows that evening. Got Taunton tickets because he wasn’t playing Bristol originally. Then it was announced he was playing Bristol after all due to demand.

Seen Plant, Jagger, Daltrey, etc but none a patch on Cutler... Adge the best front man of the lot.

Saw Adge & The Wurzels at St Mathias Teacher Training College in 1973, in my first year at Bristol Poly.  Guys from my year ( from all over the country) had never really heard of him before, but agreed it was one of the best nights they’d had - helped of course by copious amounts of “proper” cider!  After that night many of them got cider in for parties rather than beer or lager.

Rod & The Faces at the Hippodrome in 73 ace.

Football - Alan Hudson in an under 23 international at Ashton Gate in 1972 - should have become a fixture in the senior team.

Cricket - Proctor coming in off his full run and bowling off the “wrong” foot for Glos.

Golf - Wentworth Matchplay in 1982 .Faldo with his original swing was majestic. 

George Best - in his twilight years at Fulham, but you could still see what he had in his locker.  Sublime.

Seve Ballesteros - PGA at Wentworth - feel very privileged to have seen him playing live.

Tiger Woods - Matchplay at Wentworth and The Open at Turnberry  Watched him warming up on the range as well, an absolute machine.

Beckham - The day he scored from halfway line. 

Mo Farah - Super Saturday

Chris Gayle - At Somerset a few times. 

Notable mentions to Aguero, David Silva, Suarez, Owen, Steve Smith, Federer, Nadal and Serena who were fairly useful. Would like to see Messi but chances dwindling!

58 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

Football wise its Zidane and Bergkamp for me.

And my other would be Phil Taylor... i'll get ready for everyones negative comments about Darts... but nobody will ever achieve what he did!

How can anyone seriously be negative towards the power. Changed the game forever and how it’s now played. 

The best player I’ve seen live, not just in reputation, but on performance in person was De Bruyne in that second leg. He seemed to take it as a personal affront that we’d equalised and decided to just win the game by himself. He was the best player on the pitch to that point, but to be able to turn around and basically win a game by yourself through sheer force of performance is exceptional. There are only a handful of players I remember doing that (not in the building for) - Beckham vs Greece, Gerrard vs Olympiakos and West Ham, Keane vs Juventus. KDB can literally bend a game to his will, and in football, that’s pretty special (note - can happen in Cricket but there’s almost more opportunity to do so as it often comes down to 1 vs 1 in the team game - think Broads spells, Stokes at Headingley - even Sam Curran yesterday. To do it when there are 22 on the pitch playing at once is something else).

Also saw the Real Madrid of Zizou, Figo, Beckham etc at the Bernabeau. That was special. Made more so by the fact that Pele was the half time guest and we convinced one of our party’s missus that he was famous for erectile disfunction

Tinman (obvs)

or Rush v Liverpool in the 90s

Lara (England Windies 95. Moment he came in he was only ever going to score a ton) or Marshall playing for Hants v Glos early 80s. I swear he hit a Glos batsmen on the head and it went for 6.

Mike Teague (Glos and Lions legend, numerous visits to Kingsholm as a kid. his wife was my dad’s secretary and I believe they babysitted me once).

Football - George Best, saw him live numerous occasions, most modern day "legends" wouldn't have coped with the treatment he got from clogging defenders. He could dish it out as well. One of those few players that could play any outfield position to a high standard. True world class.

Cricket - Botham. 'Ave it.

Rugby - Not a great follower other than England, but watching Jonny Wilkinson at 5'9" in his boots go clattering into 6'+,  16 stone opponents used to have me out of my seat. And that last second drop goal against the loud mouth Aussies to win the world cup in their back yard cemented his place in sporting history for me.

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

The best player I’ve seen live, not just in reputation, but on performance in person was De Bruyne in that second leg. He seemed to take it as a personal affront that we’d equalised and decided to just win the game by himself. He was the best player on the pitch to that point, but to be able to turn around and basically win a game by yourself through sheer force of performance is exceptional. There are only a handful of players I remember doing that (not in the building for) - Beckham vs Greece, Gerrard vs Olympiakos and West Ham, Keane vs Juventus. KDB can literally bend a game to his will, and in football, that’s pretty special (note - can happen in Cricket but there’s almost more opportunity to do so as it often comes down to 1 vs 1 in the team game - think Broads spells, Stokes at Headingley - even Sam Curran yesterday. To do it when there are 22 on the pitch playing at once is something else).

Also saw the Real Madrid of Zizou, Figo, Beckham etc at the Bernabeau. That was special. Made more so by the fact that Pele was the half time guest and we convinced one of our party’s missus that he was famous for erectile disfunction

Good shout. I wasn’t even thinking about City games in the context of best players ever, but yes, he was amazing, wasn’t he. What struck me most was how he’d not just pinpoint a pass, he would put it precisely where the receiving player needed it so that he didn’t need to break his run, didn’t need to even look up - the ball just came where he needed it. 

Kevin De Bruyne, second leg at Ashton gate. Felt like the game was completely at his leisure. 

Tyson Fury in his dominating rematch with Chisora. World title fights aside probably his best performance. Seeing a man that big move that slick that close was odd. I left knowing he would go on to become heavyweight champion, it’s just a shame he did that but also went onto miss what would have been in all likelihood his prime. Special talent

3rd would probably be Jonathon Leko vs Derby. 

Football - I was at Wembley when Scholes scored his hattrick against Poland in 1999. Was a quality player then but elevated to a whole new level when he retired from England duty. Only 7 players have scored a  hattrick for England since. There's tonight's / tomorrow mornings quiz ?

Rugby - Sebastian Chabal!!!!. I watch a lot of rugby and I've been lucky to watch some quality players, but I was fortunate to watch Chabal when he played for Sale. Not just a powerful unit, he was incredibly quick as well. Clearly man of the match by a mile that game. Literally head and shoulders above everyone else. 

Trying to think of another sport but nobody jumps out for the other events I've been to where they stood out. Was looking forward to Pieterson in a T20 match and he was bowled first ball. Trescothick played well that day so let's just say him. But there's bias there. 

9 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I was at the second one. I saw him years later twice at Milton Keynes Bowl, once during the Lets Dance tour and the other (I think) the Glass Spider one.

I still miss him.

I was at the 2nd show in the Colston

Ray Wilkins-

Best passer of a ball I've seen.

Allan Lamb-best player of fast bowling I've seen 'in the flesh..consummate ease-just pips Viv Richards.

Ralph Knibbs-best centre I've seen live,,, literally glided around the pitch & oozed class...to have never played for England was a crime against rugby.

Floyd Mayweather - I was at the MGM grand to watch him dismantle Ricky Hatton...whether you like him or not he  beat the very best over many years across several weight divisions

Lionel Messi - arsenal v Barcelona at emirates must have been 2009

Ronnie O’Sullivan - whether you class snooker as a sport or not it is a very difficult game and he is a genius 

Football:   George Best. Saw him play at Hillsborough in the 60's when I followed Sheffield Wed.

Football:   Andy Cole down the Gate when he came on loan at first from Arsenal, breath of fresh air.

Football:   Norman Hunter. Saw his debut at the Baseball Ground. More fresh air.

Some superb stars and memories from all posters. Not wishing to derail but a couple of comments.

In music, I saw Buddy Holly at the Hippodrome, Eddie Cochran, Ray Charles, Roy Orbison, Chuck Berry in Bristol and spoke to Little Richard in Broad Street the day after seeing him in concert. Carlos Acosta, ballet great - awesome.

In sport so many I could add. How could I leave out Botham, Richards, Denis Compton, Tom Graveney, Atyeo, Best and Moore at Fulham, Pullin and Blake and so many more.

I'm forever grateful to my Dad and Mum for taking me to live sport, theatre and music when I was about six. It's filled my life and continues now.

So come on one and all. Some more greats that you have seen live!

Thierry Henry, saw him play a few times for Arsenal, and once for Barca. He scored a hattrick every time.

Went to see a Knicks game when in NYC, vs the Bulls with Derrick Rose in his MVP year. He absolutely ran the show, was a level above anyone else on the court.

Number 3 would have to be one of the many times I saw Brian O'Driscoll play. Inspired me to (badly) make the switch to playing centre!

Bobby Charlton - for a time arguably the most famous footballer in the world ,saw that goal against Mexico in the 66 world cup live. Lasting memory sat next to 2 Mexicans wearing sombreros in the cheap seats.

Fred Truman turned up at a local charity cricket match ,asked for his autograph he refused ,miserable sod , found out later he made it a point never to sign for anyone.

Not a fan of rugby so I'll go for Jimmy Greaves or Dave Mckay (attended this match)

image.jpeg.4792683a6a58ecb8b758bf20274d7a49.jpeg

The Foundations (Build me up Buttercup) at RAF Swinderby when I did square bashing in 1970.  Mike Pender and the Searchers in Lancashire 2000's.  Freddie and the Dreamers at Snuffy's Frenchay. Dozy Beaky Mick and Titch. Brean. Amen Corner in Lancashire.  Chris Farlowe and Wayne Fontana at WSM. Ken Dodd in Cyprus 1972, left at Daybreak !!

Archived