IGNORED

Champions League 2024: New format with 10-match first phase set to be agreed

Unan

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56573883

Our footballing state is being consumed by capitalist culture. It's something that's happened to almost every other country already, we've just rode the luck of having such a strong supporting setup we've seen it last.

We didn't complain when every other countries teams got ruined due to bringing all the talent here, so I don't think we can complain when the top teams get and taken away from us.

Honestly, I don't really care about it. If it goes to the extremes that it seems to be, Super Leagues etc, then I will view the top teams as being dead to me. It will be a shame that I've lost the ability to watch Liverpool, Arsenal, Man City etc, but in my mind they will be gone, they're no longer part of English football, so it'll be the same difference as if they all folded.

The leagues will become fairer, more competitive & probably a lot more enjoyable. We'll lose some top talent for sure, but that doesn't matter. Humans are very good at adjusting to their current surroundings and forgetting what came before.

I guess one thing the top clubs could do is make the Carling Carabao Coca-Cola League Cup essentially U23's for themselves - which of course would devalue the competition for the opening rounds. But it is already a cup many don't care about so not a big issue? It will make it a bit like the Johnstone's Paint Auto Windscreens LDV vans cup is now which hasn't gone down well but seeing as it is a lesser competition is it just about acceptable.

Just another example of the “more is more” ethos adhered to by UEFA and FIFA that just continually waters down the product to the point where the quality on offer resembles a liquid that...isn’t water.

The CL had been an ever-changing experiment since its 1992 inception but the current format has had a fair bit of stability because it actually worked pretty well. Just like the WC, 8 groups of 4, 16 advance and then knockout to the final. 

The only good consequence of this travesty might be the end of the EFL Cup - no need for two domestic knockout tournaments, as the League Cup was created when the calendar was way less crowded than it is today.

10 minutes ago, WessexPest said:

Just another example of the “more is more” ethos adhered to by UEFA and FIFA that just continually waters down the product to the point where the quality on offer resembles a liquid that...isn’t water.

The CL had been an ever-changing experiment since its 1992 inception but the current format has had a fair bit of stability because it actually worked pretty well. Just like the WC, 8 groups of 4, 16 advance and then knockout to the final. 

The only good consequence of this travesty might be the end of the EFL Cup - no need for two domestic knockout tournaments, as the League Cup was created when the calendar was way less crowded than it is today.

I'd like teams playing in Europe to be removed from the EFL cup

Do I care anymore. I stopped watching the so-called Champions League years ago. UEFA exists to satisfy the needs of the big 12 (Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, PSG, Bayern Munich, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Juventus, AC Milan, International of Milan and Roma). They are embarrassed if any of the 12 don't qualify for the latter stages of competitions or if any other team gate crashes the party. The whole draw process is corrupt with champions of nations having to go through qualifying rounds while also rans or champions of sod all from favoured nations get straight to the lucrative stages of the competitions. 

UEFA are not alone in this of course. The confederations love making things needlessly complicated. Try working out the World Cup qualification for each of the confederations and if you manage them all send off your application to MENSA right away. 

The Champions League should be exactly that, the 50 plus champions of each league affiliated to UEFA, made up to 64 by teams determined by points per game average across the leagues in Europe. 64 teams drawn without seeding into 8 groups of 4 with only the top team in each group progressing to the quarter finals. The rest having failed are out of Europe and are not given some stupid dogs chance to enter the Europa League. 

World Cup qualification similar. Determine the number of groups and teams in each one needed and draw without seeding or use of the bloody ludicrous FIFA rankings into those groups. Top teams only to qualify. 

2 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Do I care anymore. I stopped watching the so-called Champions League years ago. UEFA exists to satisfy the needs of the big 12 (Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, PSG, Bayern Munich, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Juventus, AC Milan, International of Milan and Roma). They are embarrassed if any of the 12 don't qualify for the latter stages of competitions or if any other team gate crashes the party. The whole draw process is corrupt with champions of nations having to go through qualifying rounds while also rans or champions of sod all from favoured nations get straight to the lucrative stages of the competitions. 

UEFA are not alone in this of course. The confederations love making things needlessly complicated. Try working out the World Cup qualification for each of the confederations and if you manage them all send off your application to MENSA right away. 

The Champions League should be exactly that, the 50 plus champions of each league affiliated to UEFA, made up to 64 by teams determined by points per game average across the leagues in Europe. 64 teams drawn without seeding into 8 groups of 4 with only the top team in each group progressing to the quarter finals. The rest having failed are out of Europe and are not given some stupid dogs chance to enter the Europa League. 

World Cup qualification similar. Determine the number of groups and teams in each one needed and draw without seeding or use of the bloody ludicrous FIFA rankings into those groups. Top teams only to qualify. 

I couldn’t agree more. Seedlings are a joke and guarantees the best sides go through every year to the ko stages. I only start watching at the QF stage when there is a bit more jeopardy. When the new format starts that will be one less subscription as I will switch it off forever.

No seedlings can work against a country .... remember Forest and Liverpool being drawn in the First round many moons ago ?

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Your maths needs a bit of work there Royston

57 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Does anyone know if supporter groups from the English clubs signed? 

Looking at the article in the link, I think Arsenal's supporters did.

If it's based on past merits then surely the two time winners Nottingham Forest must be over the moon about being able to return to top-flight European competition. ?

Cant believe the big clubs want this!!

For years they have moaned about playing to many games

We all know what they really mean is 

To many games against little clubs like Bury where we are not making tons of money

They would play 80 games a season if it was against the likes of Madrid Barca Munich and Juventus

24 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

Cant believe the big clubs want this!!

For years they have moaned about playing to many games

We all know what they really mean is 

To many games against little clubs like Bury where we are not making tons of money

They would play 80 games a season if it was against the likes of Madrid Barca Munich and Juventus

and ideally play them in the Far East and the USA.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

It’s all to enhance the financial benefits of all involved. The various franchises bidding for the catering contracts. The TV rights.....Its all so transparent.

My simple take on it is why fix it if it’s not broken?

As you allude it’s pure greed.

It'll make a welcome change. See how the 'big 6' fans like when they are away..

Who do you support?

Bristol City.

Who are your Premier League team?

What? No. Don't have one.

This will be replaced with...

'So, European Super-League fan, eh...

What domestic club do you follow, you surely can't afford to do every game..?'

In the end it’s this greed that will kill the game.

The top clubs ensuring they win everything all the time, and no one else is ever allowed to gatecrash their little earner.

What it is saying to every fan of every club out the top 16 or so in Europe is stop dreaming of ever reaching one of the big finals because we will ensure you never get the chance. Removing this dream is what will in the end kill the whole sport.

Once again corporate (and that’s all the big teams are) greed killing anything good.

This change to the Champions League is clearly intended to be nothing more than a half way house to the European Super League. 

The first year will be a novelty and then it will prove so baffling and there will be so many accusations of the league being fixed, that the call will be for an end to this format and the introduction of a more transparent league system. Then, those at the top get exactly what they want but they can claim that it was at the request of supporters.

It's shit for the game if it goes through. 

There is talk that a European Super League might be unlawful under EU law- certainly if it was a closed shop.

Anyway yeah, it's terrible for the game. Few examples.

Year Leicester won the League, Chelsea, Liverpool and Man United missed out on CL- indeed I believe both Chelsea and Liverpool missed out on Europe entirely- why? Because that was where they deserved to finish!

AC Milan...they would be high up any prospective Super League list given 7 European Cups/CLs. Yet they haven't qualified since 2013/14 for the CL. 

In that time, on at least one occasion big to medium to smaller clubs- so I'd say Roma and Lazio, to Napoli and finally Atalanta have- none of those 4 are as big as AC Milan, 100%.

Why? Because they were better coached and run, made more of their resources and so on- the point being there is no divine right, none whatsoever- never has been and certainly never should be.

Just reading thorough my email from UEFA kindly explaining the new format.

Despite Gary Neville’s heartfelt comments from behind a paywall, the truth is a club could have a stinker of a season like Arsenal and yet still qualify for a tournament that pay tens of millions of pounds.

Doesn't seem very fair to me.

Archived