IGNORED

Some good news for Rebecca Welch - first female referee.

Hxj

17 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Can’t be any worse than Keith Stroud

To get to where she has, I’ll bet good money that she is miles better.

Not only than Keith Stroud but also Eltringham, Attwell, Linington, Kettle or that utter joker we had at Blackburn.

I wonder if the players will abuse her profanely in the same way they do with a male referees?

That said she will have refereed men’s games in order to get on the EFL list so won’t be a snowflake when it comes to profanity on the pitch.

Could well reduce the amount of bad language aimed at the referee. 

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

I wonder if the players will abuse her profanely in the same way they do with a male referees?

That said she will have refereed men’s games in order to get on the EFL list so won’t be a snowflake when it comes to profanity on the pitch.

Could well reduce the amount of bad language aimed at the referee. 

Could be quite an interesting social experiment actually. There's no way the players would crowd her or get in her personal space. I also think there'd be far less profanity towards the ref. Could actually be a really positive step. 

I'd like to see refs mic'd up like in Rugby really. 

2 minutes ago, Super said:

Don't have a problem with this at all but she will have to be treated exactly the same as a male ref.

I wonder if the players will be so quick as to hand out abuse. 

You’d imagine any sexist comments would be a straight red? That’ll be interesting. 

1 minute ago, Fordy62 said:

You’d imagine any sexist comments would be a straight red? That’ll be interesting. 

Can you imagine a Di Canio push? Will be a ten year ban!

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Could be quite an interesting social experiment actually. There's no way the players would crowd her or get in her personal space. I also think there'd be far less profanity towards the ref. Could actually be a really positive step. 

I've been thinking that for a while, trial female officials and see if it makes a difference. There does seem to be a preconceived notion of what women are like, it might surprise people that women come in all shapes, sizes and temperament. They can be a lot tougher than men.

7 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

From my daughter's experience at County Cup games as an Assistant Referee, the abuse flows just as vividly followed by an abject apology and a smile and handshake at the end of the game.

11 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

They did this once way back the sheer ammount of abuse was pretty crazy. 

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

The players will have to be very careful. If they treat her any differently to a male ref they will probably be charged with sexual discrimination.?

38 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

The players will have to be very careful. If they treat her any differently to a male ref they will probably be charged with sexual discrimination.?

After his previous “encounter” with a female official, is this why Aguero is leaving the prem at the end of the season?

Well the players rushing up to the referee all mad / incandescent will have to change...can't have footballers setting a bad example being violent to a woman in authority....

Cheating, diving, feigning injuries....would they stoop THAT low......er......

40 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Yes, I imagine she'll wear a t shirt on top.....

That would be as bad as players wearing gloves and tights!

Don't thing the big celebrations at this news will do her any favours to be honest, people need to treat her as a regular ref to gain respect from those in the game. Fair play to her, but it needs to be new ref indited into circulation instead of unbelievable scenes first female ref. End of the day it's just a referee if she can do a decent job that's the only thing that matters. Good luck to her.

Archived