IGNORED

Paul Simpson - England Under-21s

David Brent

According to this article, and several others, linking Lampard to the England Under 21s job should they decide to get rid of Bothroyd, Paul Simpson is on a shortlist.

I like him and it’s not entirely unrealistic. Just curious if Nigel is likely to bring in any staff of his own and what the future is here for Downing and Simpson.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/metro.co.uk/2021/03/30/ex-chelsea-manager-frank-lampard-on-shortlist-for-england-job-14326249/amp/

Apologies if already mentioned

I'm sure it would be difficult to get a club side to agree/agreement all round - but I always thought - at youth international level - it would be good if you could have a club coach who took charge part time. Rely on dedicated coaches/scouts to ID talent, but then have a club coach as part time manager. You could then pick someone who's team played the right brand of football and they would gain great experience/make connections with up and coming players. You could even have an age bracket for the manager under 45 for example. That way the set up is developing players and a coach. 

Not sure I explained that very well and it would be pretty hard to implement, but I think it would be good.

3 hours ago, BCFC Richard said:

I'm sure it would be difficult to get a club side to agree/agreement all round - but I always thought - at youth international level - it would be good if you could have a club coach who took charge part time. Rely on dedicated coaches/scouts to ID talent, but then have a club coach as part time manager. You could then pick someone who's team played the right brand of football and they would gain great experience/make connections with up and coming players. You could even have an age bracket for the manager under 45 for example. That way the set up is developing players and a coach. 

Not sure I explained that very well and it would be pretty hard to implement, but I think it would be good.

I agree. IMO if either Downing or Simpson took the job on a part-time basis while continuing role at City it could only be a positive. The contacts they would make and the exposure to the best young players in the country would only help with our recruitment and the development/assessment of our own young players. Like you say, I doubt any club would agree to it though 

My hunch is that Pearson will want to bring in someone he knows & has worked with before to the coaching staff, a lot of people have suggested that will be Craig Shakespeare, but he would have to be prepared to leave Villa (his boyhood club) to do so, so it might yet be someone else, like Chris Powell.

We do already have a lot of coaches, in addition to Simpson & Downing, we have Cisse, Alex Ball who is doing a great job in charge of the 23s & Gilmartin is seen as a coach now after we didn’t register him as a player. Pat Mountain the goalie coach, too.

That seems a lot to me so I expect one or two of them to move on this summer.

It isn’t inconceivable Pearson has already told the individuals concerned this & that Simpson might see this as his next job.

As a complete aside, to me Simpson comes across the better of the two & although not my decision, personally I’d keep him over Downing. 

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

Yeah! Get someone with no ambition! ?

Brendan Rogers was a U23’s coach before his first 1st team job, there are good coaches out there in the u23’s roles. Coaching 23’s is different to first team in that it’s like internationals and you work with who you’ve got rather than bought.

2 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Brendan Rogers was a U23’s coach before his first 1st team job, there are good coaches out there in the u23’s roles. Coaching 23’s is different to first team in that it’s like internationals and you work with who you’ve got rather than bought.

To be fair to Lampard he did kind of have to do that at Chelsea when he joined and they had a transfer embargo. He brought through a few of there existing young players into the first team and players like Mason Mount

Just now, Show Me The Money! said:

To be fair to Lampard he did kind of have to do that at Chelsea when he joined and they had a transfer embargo. He brought through a few of there existing young players into the first team and players like Mason Mount

And he did coach in Chelsea’s academy, although think it may have been 18’s, still he has that experience if you broaden it to academy, I said u23’s as 23 year olds can still play u21’s at their major competitions if they started qualifying round as an u21 so it’s working with that age range 

• Admin

England Under-21 manager Aidy Boothroyd believes it is not possible to succeed in the role, as his side face a second successive group-stage exit from the European Championship.

Defeats against Switzerland and Portugal mean England must beat Croatia to have any chance of reaching this summer's quarter-finals.

"The England senior men's job was called the impossible job," he said.

"The England U21 team is the utterly impossible job."

Boothroyd, who led the under-21s to the last four in 2017, said the way the England international set-up is structured limits the chances of the U21s winning tournaments.

"It's not possible to win at all levels," said Boothroyd.

"Part of the reason we haven't won this for 37 years is [that the under-21s' role is] to get players to the first team."

Boothroyd said he thinks he has done a "successful job" and revealed he has been in regular contact with senior boss Gareth Southgate while Football Association technical director John McDermott is in Slovenia with the side.

"Are we on the same page? Absolutely. All the way through the pathway, we're on the same page," said Boothroyd.

"You shouldn't be working in youth development if you think your job is to win every game and not produce players for the senior team.

"We have won things in the younger age groups and as they've matured, they've been fast-tracked. That's how it works. That is the way to do it."

Fourteen players who represented England in the 2017 and 2019 tournaments have since featured for the full international side, including Mason Mount, who has played in England's past seven games, and Phil Foden.

Boothroyd said he was "hoping" to have Mount at the tournament, along with Jude Bellingham, who is also with Southgate's full squad.

"Could you imagine a reserve-team manager going to a first-team manager and asking to have their best player to win the reserve-team championship?" asked Boothroyd. "That wouldn't happen.

"The only team that needs to win is the senior team. The main thing is the senior team, everyone is here to support the senior team."

Speaking in his pre-match press conference before Wednesday's 2022 Fifa World Cup qualifier against Poland, Southgate said balancing the squads is "difficult".

"Nobody thinks about the U21s from outside until you get to the finals," added Southgate.

"I think it's always a good question - we want to try to win tournaments when we can. We have benefited when the under-17s won and also the under-20s."

TAKEN FROM: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56583091

3 hours ago, phantom said:

England Under-21 manager Aidy Boothroyd believes it is not possible to succeed in the role, as his side face a second successive group-stage exit from the European Championship.

Defeats against Switzerland and Portugal mean England must beat Croatia to have any chance of reaching this summer's quarter-finals.

"The England senior men's job was called the impossible job," he said.

"The England U21 team is the utterly impossible job."

Boothroyd, who led the under-21s to the last four in 2017, said the way the England international set-up is structured limits the chances of the U21s winning tournaments.

"It's not possible to win at all levels," said Boothroyd.

"Part of the reason we haven't won this for 37 years is [that the under-21s' role is] to get players to the first team."

Boothroyd said he thinks he has done a "successful job" and revealed he has been in regular contact with senior boss Gareth Southgate while Football Association technical director John McDermott is in Slovenia with the side.

"Are we on the same page? Absolutely. All the way through the pathway, we're on the same page," said Boothroyd.

"You shouldn't be working in youth development if you think your job is to win every game and not produce players for the senior team.

"We have won things in the younger age groups and as they've matured, they've been fast-tracked. That's how it works. That is the way to do it."

Fourteen players who represented England in the 2017 and 2019 tournaments have since featured for the full international side, including Mason Mount, who has played in England's past seven games, and Phil Foden.

Boothroyd said he was "hoping" to have Mount at the tournament, along with Jude Bellingham, who is also with Southgate's full squad.

"Could you imagine a reserve-team manager going to a first-team manager and asking to have their best player to win the reserve-team championship?" asked Boothroyd. "That wouldn't happen.

"The only team that needs to win is the senior team. The main thing is the senior team, everyone is here to support the senior team."

Speaking in his pre-match press conference before Wednesday's 2022 Fifa World Cup qualifier against Poland, Southgate said balancing the squads is "difficult".

"Nobody thinks about the U21s from outside until you get to the finals," added Southgate.

"I think it's always a good question - we want to try to win tournaments when we can. We have benefited when the under-17s won and also the under-20s."

TAKEN FROM: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56583091

Impossible job my arse. 

An absolute huge amount of talent to select from, even if the likes of Saka, Foden etc get called to the senior squad. Happens for every other country. 

2 hours ago, The Batman said:

Impossible job my arse. 

An absolute huge amount of talent to select from, even if the likes of Saka, Foden etc get called to the senior squad. Happens for every other country. 

I actually can’t believe he said what he did. The Portugese national team has players that would qualify for the u21 tournament in their senior squad. Joao Felix, Pedro Neto and Nuno Mendes. I think possibly Dias, Neves and Renato Sanches too depending on the rules(thought it was 21 or under when the tournament cycle starts but could be wrong). 

He has plenty of talent at his disposal. Hell only about 25-30% of that team is playing outside the premier league and all of them have played for or are contracted to premier league clubs. There is so much talent there and he says that. I get it might be difficult to win it but there is no way I can buy they shouldn’t be making it to quarter finals or more every time. 

Archived