IGNORED

Management skills par excellence - Pat Lam

cidered abroad

Please, moderators, don't shunt this off to some other forum. It's an interview with Bristol Bears Pat Lam about his management methods.

As the club that is an integral part of Bristol Sport and someone that many City fans have a tremendous respect for, it is very interesting and informative.

https://www.wanderingbearsportsmedia.com/wanderingbearsportspodcast/pat-lam-on-making-better-people-and-better-players-changing-culture-and-the-importance-of-leadership

• The title was changed to Management skills par excellence - Pat Lam

I’ll watch this later but almost no praise is high enough for Pat. He’s an inspirational leader. When City had an injury crisis we panicked. When Bris were missing key players through injury and internationals, Pat trusted the systems the entire squad were coached for. 

23 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

I’ll watch this later but almost no praise is high enough for Pat. He’s an inspirational leader. When City had an injury crisis we panicked. When Bris were missing key players through injury and internationals, Pat trusted the systems the entire squad were coached for. 

The last couple of months demonstrates how much they've improved and the squad players have developed. If Bristol had the same list of absentees 2 years ago, they'd have barely stood a chance of winning some of the games that they have in the last few weeks. A fair few of the wins have been last gasp, skin of their teeth stuff, but they've found a way and trusted what they were doing.

1 hour ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Listened to it over lunch and doing a "write up". If Pat wants to swap with Stuart Hooper he's very welcome

He, Lam, is a rugby coach and is not used to mud wrestling. You are allowed to change your attachment to Bristol. It might be too much though, as you will see players in all positions running with the ball. No hoofing and clogging at Ashton Gate.

@Sweeneys Penalties

51 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

He, Lam, is a rugby coach and is not used to mud wrestling. You are allowed to change your attachment to Bristol. It might be too much though, as you will see players in all positions running with the ball. No hoofing and clogging at Ashton Gate.

@Sweeneys Penalties

I have a dim and distant of the likes of John Palmer, Jerry Guscott, Tony Swift etc. I'm still hoping that the likes of Cam Redpath etc get the idea sooner rather than later

One of the many welcome statements in Nigel’s presser was the reference to the visit to the Bears Training Ground and Pat Lam. 

The Bristol Sport concept has many plus points - I for one have taken a great interest in the rugby, a little less in the women’s football and basketball but still watch the games. The ability to learn from other sports and top coaches is another big plus and, so far, seemingly under-exploited. 

We now have two masters of the respective games in football and rugby ...as they say though, every day’s a school day, so even the masters can still develop and learn from each other.

Could be good days ahead. 

With regards to City and the Bears, I think it was telling that when asked if Steve Lansdown would be after a manager for City like Lam is for the Bears he said something like ' I don't think we can get Pep". 

There is no team in the UK who play rugby like us. We play like a South Pacific Island team where we are constantly trying to play with ball in hand and through the backs, but backed up with a strong forward 8. 

How we are within the salary cap with the quality we have acquired I have no idea.

1 hour ago, RED4LIFE said:

There is no team in the UK who play rugby like us. We play like a South Pacific Island team where we are constantly trying to play with ball in hand and through the backs, but backed up with a strong forward 8. 

Been that way since the 1960s - an emphasis on flair, skill, running and passing, entertainment - but never at the expense of strong forward play. The iron fist inside a velvet glove. Very few English clubs played this way, historically. It's a badge of honour as far as Bristol supporters are concerned and the current team are upholding that tradition in exhilarating fashion.

1 hour ago, RED4LIFE said:

How we are within the salary cap with the quality we have acquired I have no idea.

It's very simple. For every expensive superstar player, there are 2 cheap as chips ones. Cheap because they either came through our own academy or were undervalued gems acquired from other teams, often second division teams - e.g. Semi Radradra - superstar; partnered in the Centre by Piers O'Connor, signed from Ealing Trailfinders but just as good in his own way and proving to be an inspired piece of recruitment. Similar examples all throughout the team. 

Firstly thanks to Ciderhead Abroad for finding this fascinating interview.

For the right or wrong reasons I’ve always considered Steve Lansdown to be the patsy to Mr Hargreaves, but from a very fruitful 45 minute interview with Pat Lam I have realised just how astute Steve is and the role he paid in the stratospheric rise of Hargreaves Lansdown.

In Pat Lam he identified exactly what was necessary to progress to the top and once a decision was made, was happy to step aside and let his appointment run the show.

In my opinion it’s disappointing that’s it has taken Mr Lansdown so long to appoint an equally proficient football coach come manager, but hopefully the planets all appear to be aligning and there could be a very bright future ahead.

8 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

It's very simple. For every expensive superstar player, there are 2 cheap as chips ones. Cheap because they either came through our own academy or were undervalued gems acquired from other teams, often second division teams - e.g. Semi Radradra - superstar; partnered in the Centre by Piers O'Connor, signed from Ealing Trailfinders but just as good in his own way and proving to be an inspired piece of recruitment. Similar examples all throughout the team. 

Yup. Just look at the likes of Purdy, Randall, Thacker etc too. A great mixture 

Archived