IGNORED

Released List - U23s

Silvio Dante

3 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I guess the main surprises here will be Harper and Smith.  Maybe Opi is a tad surprising as well but always felt we would keep him and release him at some point anyway.

The rest were obvious really.  

Harper is the one that sticks out to me. Possibly we’ve gone Soady, Nurse  (and Towler) over him, and with JD back, pathway looks blocked.

Whats noticeable to me now is the quality of the releases. Webb has had a loan at Newport, Hinds (although off a cliff) and Edwards league experience. Harper will pick up a club. We’re now releasing potential league footballers from youth intake and that wasn’t happening five years ago

@Lrrr - you’re most up on this, any thoughts?

6 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Harper is the one that sticks out to me. Possibly we’ve gone Soady, Nurse  (and Towler) over him, and with JD back, pathway looks blocked.

Whats noticeable to me now is the quality of the releases. Webb has had a loan at Newport, Hinds (although off a cliff) and Edwards league experience. Harper will pick up a club. We’re now releasing potential league footballers from youth intake and that wasn’t happening five years ago

@Lrrr - you’re most up on this, any thoughts?

Harper is behind Pring as well.  It may just be a case of being honest with a player and saying "Look, you are probably 6th choice left-back, what do you want to do?" and having a conversation about it.  Harper might prefer to chance his arm elsewhere.

We have to assume that Tinnion has had a massive say in this and I trust his knowledge on players.  Hope the ones released get picked up quickly as you would think that the likes of Newport, Cheltenham, Forest Green, Bristol Rovers and Swindon have a very close eye on who we are releasing.   I am sure the club will help them find new clubs as well 

Interesting but with the possible exception of Harper, not surprising.

Always thought Opi Edwards only got a chance because so many others were out on loan at the time, plus the ridiculous injury situation.

Hinds & Baldwin simply haven’t progressed & others have overtaken them.

4 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Harper is behind Pring as well.  It may just be a case of being honest with a player and saying "Look, you are probably 6th choice left-back, what do you want to do?" and having a conversation about it.  Harper might prefer to chance his arm elsewhere.

We have to assume that Tinnion has had a massive say in this and I trust his knowledge on players.  Hope the ones released get picked up quickly as you would think that the likes of Newport, Cheltenham, Forest Green, Bristol Rovers and Swindon have a very close eye on who we are releasing. 

True - I’d forgotten Pring and that logic really seems to hold.

On a related note, nice to see Rovers lumped with the other minnows. Shows where they are in pecking order.

Will be a test of Owura's character with his brother being released.  I know he would likely have realised their careers would diverge at some point, but there's one thing being aware and another thing living it.  He's young but if he handles it with maturity then that bodes very well for his future in the game.

10 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Will be a test of Owura's character with his brother being released.  I know he would likely have realised their careers would diverge at some point, but there's one thing being aware and another thing living it.  He's young but if he handles it with maturity then that bodes very well for his future in the game.

It would motivate me if I was in his shoes. Seeing his brother being released would hammer home the effects on him. That would motivate me to push and work even harder so it didn't happen to me. 

7 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

It would motivate me if I was in his shoes. Seeing his brother being released would hammer home the effects on him. That would motivate me to push and work even harder so it didn't happen to me. 

I would young Owura would do the same. I don't know anything about his character to know which way he would go, but will watch with interest.

2 minutes ago, Swede said:

Really surprised with Freddie Hinds. I really thought he had the makings of a player. I guess he just hasn't developed quickly enough or that there are others with more potential.

He's 22 and hasn't scored a league goal above Conference South. Looked good v Watford in a cup and scored a great goal but that looks to be his career highlight.

2 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

Harper really sticks in the throat.

Lousy decision.

Hope he goes on to great things.

Seems harsh as only heard good things. Writing on the wall when with 5 LBs injured he couldn’t get a sniff and then Towler got moved to cover.

Good luck to all the released players.

16 minutes ago, Swede said:

Really surprised with Freddie Hinds. I really thought he had the makings of a player. I guess he just hasn't developed quickly enough or that there are others with more potential.

I’d be amazed if he picked up a league club personally 

11 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

He's 22 and hasn't scored a league goal above Conference South. Looked good v Watford in a cup and scored a great goal but that looks to be his career highlight.

Yeah - bottom line is that it is three and a half years since he did anything of note with us and seems to have regressed since. I hope for his sake that being released will be the jolt he needs to get back on track.

Harper is a surprised based on all we've heard but we've released supposedly promising talents before who've not gone on to do anything of note. I remember when Lewis Carey looked like he might be en route to compete for a first team goalkeeping spot. At 27, he is on loan with Dorking Wanderers from Cray Wanderers. Time will tell if Harper proves us wrong but I've no doubt the club know the young players way better than we fans do. 

56 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

I’d say it’s more of a test of Opis character. You’ve basically been told you’re not good enough & your brother is still at the same club. You’d be happy for him but gutted you weren’t kept on as well. 

24 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

Harper really sticks in the throat.

Lousy decision & a big mistake.

Hope he goes on to great things.

I'm surprised at Harper being released, too. I was of the opinion Holden should've given him a chance in the first team ahead of Towler. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he goes on to bigger things. 

Losing Britton would potentially be a bigger blow, IMO. I'm not sure why we've allowed his contract to run down when it's not like he'd be demanded parity with Fam's wages, for example. 

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

We have to assume that Tinnion has had a massive say in this and I trust his knowledge on players.  Hope the ones released get picked up quickly as you would think that the likes of Newport, Cheltenham, Forest Green, Bristol Rovers and Swindon have a very close eye on who we are releasing.   I am sure the club will help them find new clubs as well 

For me, having not seen Harper other than in highlights leading to goals, the fact that in our big-LB crisis he didn’t get called up into the first team squad probably told me, despite OTIB praise, that he’s not good enough....currently.  At 20 (Soady 19 - a full year younger) and several others in front of him, it’s probably a big factor in letting him get on and make his own fate.  Let’s hope he proves City wrong.

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

For me, having not seen Harper other than in highlights leading to goals, the fact that in our big-LB crisis he didn’t get called up into the first team squad probably told me, despite OTIB praise, that he’s not good enough....currently.  At 20 (Soady 19 - a full year younger) and several others in front of him, it’s probably a big factor in letting him get on and make his own fate.  Let’s hope he proves City wrong.

Agreed.  Soady is the one I am very excited about from our long list of left backs 

28 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

What have you seen in Harper that makes you think he is or will be a Championship player and where have you seen it?

Watched him many times for the U23's....

Good positional sense/awareness,,solid defensively,,would be great in a '3 as he gets forward(pace to burn),,can get in behind & is a decent crosser of the ball...not much not to like.

The only thing I can view as(a possible)negative would be his frame,,maybe needs to strengthen his core a little-but more than makes up for it with a hell of an engine-bloke can really motor...

Last but not least,,great attitude- team player.

2 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

Watched him many times for the U23's....

Good positional sense/awareness,,solid defensively,,would be great in a '3 as he gets forward(pace to burn),,can get in behind & is a decent crosser of the ball...not much not to like.

The only thing I can view as(a possible)negative would be his frame,,maybe needs to strengthen his core a little-but more than makes up for it with a hell of an engine-bloke can really motor...

I know someone who played with him for a season when he was on loan who said he was quick, great dribbling ability but not even close to Championship standard final ball. In fact, it wasn't even Southern League standard final ball at the time........

Edwards is slightly more of a shock to me than Harper simply because if all are fit we look overloaded with options on the left but not so on the right. However, none are that much of a shock, especially Hinds and Baldwin the surprise there being they were still around to release now. 

In all honesty I wish them all the best and hope they can find new clubs to progress their careers. I shouldn't worry either if they fall into non-league football as there are plenty who have done so only to return to the EFL later. 

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

Loan spells have largely been disastrous too.

Wrexham & Colchester both sent him back without him playing at all, the only club he has got game time at is Bath, which isn’t where you need to be at 22.

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Who has the decision on this?

Is it Pearson?

Last summer it was a combo of Tinnion and the Academy staff with a bit of input from Holden for those around the first team..

I would imagine very similar.  For those who have had more accessibility to NP, e.g. training with first team, I would expect him to have more input to the decision.

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Last summer it was a combo of Tinnion and the Academy staff with a bit of input from Holden for those around the first team..

I would imagine very similar.  For those who have had more accessibility to NP, e.g. training with first team, I would expect him to have more input to the decision.

That would make sense. I can't imagine a player would be released if Pearson wanted to keep them but I'd imagine he'd delegate and trust the academy judgement for all but any borderline decisions as he simply wouldn't have enough information about a lot of the players. 

Archived