IGNORED

The impossible dream.

Bristol Rob

It looks a good read just a bit long for the moment - will save for the weekend. My daughter went to school with someone who was offered a contract with Crawley Town whilst still at school and academically just switched off at that point.  He lasted about a year at Crawley before being released and was then in a difficult position.

2 hours ago, Reigate Red said:

It looks a good read just a bit long for the moment - will save for the weekend. My daughter went to school with someone who was offered a contract with Crawley Town whilst still at school and academically just switched off at that point.  He lasted about a year at Crawley before being released and was then in a difficult position.

I remember when Julian Dicks left school in Bristol at the age of 14 to join Birmingham City - he was lucky as he went on to carve out a decent football career - but it probably ended badly for loads of other 14 year olds around that time ...

4 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I remember when Julian Dicks left school in Bristol at the age of 14 to join Birmingham City - he was lucky as he went on to carve out a decent football career - but it probably ended badly for loads of other 14 year olds around that time ...

It almost ended badly for him....was done for nicking stuff.

30 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Ooh! When was that? What was he done for? What did he nick? What sentence did he get? I didn’t know this ...

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/dicks-sets-out-to-challenge-the-cliches-1282671.html

Actually it was while he was still in Bristol.  By “done” I meant nicked / caught.

Rumour was same happened at Brum too.

Remember playing against him (Raleigh Sports) at The Clanage.....we lost 11-0, he scored 7.  He was the best I played against as a kid.

2 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

I remember playing against Raphael Burke. He was something else. 

Me too.....albeit it was in mid-90s when he was plumbing the depths of Odd Down and I was playing for Bris.  You could see he had dribbling skills, but when he tried to pass or cross it was like Junior Bent meets Edward Scissorfeet!  I’d never seen a ball come off of someone’s boots at the angles they did!

22 hours ago, Davefevs said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/dicks-sets-out-to-challenge-the-cliches-1282671.html

Actually it was while he was still in Bristol.  By “done” I meant nicked / caught.

Rumour was same happened at Brum too.

Remember playing against him (Raleigh Sports) at The Clanage.....we lost 11-0, he scored 7.  He was the best I played against as a kid.

I first played against him when we were about 8 or 9 years old - he was the only one on the pitch who could ping a corner into the box - quite incredible at that age - he also scored a scorcher from outside the box - he was a freak for his age - he burst into tears that day when he was subbed towards the end - reminded us that he was just a kid in reality - he was obviously gonna make it ....

Archived