IGNORED

Nigel Pearson press conference | Bristol City v Stoke City

Unan

53 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I've listened to it twice and read through Gregor's manuscript of it...I'm pretty uninspired.

Pearson rambles and goes around the houses just as much as certain other managers have in the past. He uses a more straightforward vocabulary, but he's just as guilty of answering the question he wants to answer rather than the one he's asked. I guess I prefer this style of rambling to Johnson's Brent-like speak, but it's still rambling.

I thought Pearson was occasionally pretty condescending towards Gregor, a guy who is doing his job and asking some decent questions.

To give him the benefit of the doubt I'll assume he just has a reasonable level of contempt for press conferences, and would rather be coaching or working than doing them. If that's the case then fine but I really don't see why everyone is so elated over a press conference like this?

Teams take on the characteristics of their managers.

The guy is smart, borderline aggressive, in control and has clarity of thought and intention. Above all, he is winner and leader.

That is what I want the character of my City team to be. 

It has been a painful few years watching the muddled mess of a City team produced by others....albeit, doubtless, comprising a set of ‘good humans’ 

I thought at times it seemed there were glimpses of a bit of a rapport with GMcG. Surely in more usual times you’d want to share a few bottles of the good stuff with a new gaffer and get to know each other. It can’t be easy for the  only real City correspondent. 

8 hours ago, bexhill reds said:

Have you been on the calvados?

NP is thoughtful and articulate, with few if any, buzz words. Plus he’s here to get a winning team in the pitch and not do Klopp-esque comedy routines at the press conference. 

Perhaps we should focus on the content rather than the tone.....

The tone is monotonous, the content is repetitive. He repeats himself often in ever so slightly different ways, using many ways to say the same thing. The long pauses seem thoughtful but rather give me the impression of wanting to appear to be thoughtful.  The cliches may not use buzz words but they are all over his sentences.

I like him, I think he is great for the profile of Bristol City, but I find his interviews boring and a little predictable.

1 hour ago, Lew-T said:

I noticed how he said we need to have a certain mentality around the club, players and staff included. 

I wonder if Simpson and Downing will be here next season?

Wouldn't surprise me if at least one, if not both go.

They were bought in to help alongside the inexperienced Holden, that didn't work did it!!

If Nige is here for the longterm, he'll bring in people who he knows and trusts. Then again, perhaps he has seen something in the two of them that he likes.

For me though, both were part of the problem/reason why the Holden appointment didn't work, much like Holden and McAlister were part of the same when Johnson was sacked.

57 minutes ago, Bristolisredd said:

he may have known the answer but some of us fans may not have 

The question was around team selection. The answer was simply "I won't be telling you". It's a pointless question as Pearson doesn't give that away to journalists or fans now or ever whilst he's our Manager. I think people are making a bit much of it and that overall it was a good interview. Pearson seemed very relaxed and happy to me.,

1 hour ago, Lew-T said:

I noticed how he said we need to have a certain mentality around the club, players and staff included. 

I wonder if Simpson and Downing will be here next season?

They might not, but I doubt very much they are any less likely to be here than Kalifa Cisse, Pat Mountain, Rene Gilmartin or Alex Ball.

This whole period gives him time to look not only at the playing staff but also the coaches, too & so it seems highly unlikely that we will start next season with exactly the same staff there as currently.

A recurring theme is building a different culture and it being everyone’s responsibility. 
While that will take time I've no doubt NP is certainly able to draw on his knowledge and experience in order to ensure our culture is right. The question then becomes does the culture he perceives fit with the strategy as set out.....as the saying goes ‘culture eats strategy for breakfast’ we need both the strategy and the culture to align.

1 hour ago, xerox6060 said:

I nearly turned it off when one of the first questions was, why was the Luton game put back, right from NP's first day Ive found some of the questions to him pathetic...

I think Gregor has landed right on his feet here. Yes there will be a few cringeworthy moments when he asks questions he knows will not be answered or just poor questions but having to interview an "awkward" customer in NP will cram in about 5 years experience in about 12 months. If he takes the rough with the smooth and Pearson is here any length of time he will find it easier and easier to interview the bloke.

8 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

I've listened to it twice and read through Gregor's manuscript of it...I'm pretty uninspired.

Pearson rambles and goes around the houses just as much as certain other managers have in the past. He uses a more straightforward vocabulary, but he's just as guilty of answering the question he wants to answer rather than the one he's asked. I guess I prefer this style of rambling to Johnson's Brent-like speak, but it's still rambling.

I thought Pearson was occasionally pretty condescending towards Gregor, a guy who is doing his job and asking some decent questions.

To give him the benefit of the doubt I'll assume he just has a reasonable level of contempt for press conferences, and would rather be coaching or working than doing them. If that's the case then fine but I really don't see why everyone is so elated over a press conference like this?

I think it depends how you listen to it.  For me, he does actually comes across as quite dour, but importantly for me (and why I feel inspired) I hear things that elude confidence, tell me he knows exactly what he’s doing, what the problems are, and he’ll resolve because he knows how to resolve.  I’m not sure it’s “in Big Nige we trust”, but I feel like we’ve got a proper manager here at last.

He’s setting his stall out nicely.  Don’t expect LJ type answers about over-arousal or biting sharks, NP isn’t here to sound smart, he already knows he’s smart (in football management terms).  Don’t expect DH answers about honesty and being the best you can be every day.

Its different.  It’s a bit of a hybrid of SOD and Cotts....but with PL calibre.

2 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

I thought at times it seemed there were glimpses of a bit of a rapport with GMcG. Surely in more usual times you’d want to share a few bottles of the good stuff with a new gaffer and get to know each other. It can’t be easy for the  only real City correspondent. 

Yes, the written interview sounds like he’s completely condescending towards Gregor, but the Spotify one shows some rapport.

2 hours ago, CiderJar said:

The tone is monotonous, the content is repetitive. He repeats himself often in ever so slightly different ways, using many ways to say the same thing. The long pauses seem thoughtful but rather give me the impression of wanting to appear to be thoughtful.  The cliches may not use buzz words but they are all over his sentences.

I like him, I think he is great for the profile of Bristol City, but I find his interviews boring and a little predictable.

His son was interviewed recently and said he normally talks 100mph, but he knows in interviews one false move will come back to bite him....so he’s very slow and deliberate.

There are definitely cliches, e.g. “collective”....but I think it’s very difficult to be interviewed and not go to your default vocab.  We all have little words and phrases that are noticeable as being overused.

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think it depends how you listen to it.  For me, he does actually comes across as quite dour, but importantly for me (and why I feel inspired) I hear things that elude confidence, tell me he knows exactly what he’s doing, what the problems are, and he’ll resolve because he knows how to resolve.  I’m not sure it’s “in Big Nige we trust”, but I feel like we’ve got a proper manager here at last.

He’s setting his stall out nicely.  Don’t expect LJ type answers about over-arousal or biting sharks, NP isn’t here to sound smart, he already knows he’s smart (in football management terms).  Don’t expect DH answers about honesty and being the best you can be every day.

Its different.  It’s a bit of a hybrid of SOD and Cotts....but with PL calibre.

Yes, the written interview sounds like he’s completely condescending towards Gregor, but the Spotify one shows some rapport.

His son was interviewed recently and said he normally talks 100mph, but he knows in interviews one false move will come back to bite him....so he’s very slow and deliberate.

There are definitely cliches, e.g. “collective”....but I think it’s very difficult to be interviewed and not go to your default vocab.  We all have little words and phrases that are noticeable as being overused.

My feelings that exactly @Davefevs.

Assuming he stays after end of season, we are in with a fighting chance of achieving what so many of us want. 

Like all who want to manage, he has an ego but that is channeled into assisting all those who work for him, to produce the end result. No one person can do anything on their own and good, successful managers are those who allow everyone else in the "team" to bask in the sun.

As an afterthought, having watched the Jack Charlton programme, all great managers are those who allow the troops to get the glory.

So NP and PL just keep going on our behalf.

He's the boss.   I like him more and more.  Yes he comes across as dour and deliberate, but this is a press conference, 20 minutes of his busy day, the last thing he wants to do, but if he knows if he puts a foot wrong he could blow it all.  

So he comes in prepared, says only what he wants to say, sets the context, addresses all the different audiences and their different agendas,  restates the vision and strategy,  clarifies expectations and drive for high standards,  pushes the Bristol Sport brand, name-checks Steve and Jon,  shows he wants to collaborate with the egg chasing rugger-booggers   ....  all this without giving anything away, (except to expect some debuts?)

And no mention of a certain CEO (who, lest we forget, carried an extensive ten week search last year and decided that dear old Deano was the best out there.) 

He's a class above any head coach/manager that we've had in a long time, we only see his media side but you can see why players will want to play for him.

I liked the fact he was talking about changing the mindset of the club, players and staff, he comes across as well up for the project and premiership football is the goal.

I would think that he knows a contract for him is all in place apart from the media announcements, Steve and NP are men of their words..

Im feeling very positive about the club and the next few years at the moment but dare to dream too much!

16 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Can we mark this as the end of the honeymoon period? 

17 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

I think he's shown Gregor to be the very mediocre journalist we expect from the Bristol Post. Some of his questions were pathetic and that's being kind. Its good to see we have a manager who has worked this out in a short space of time. Perhaps now some of the conspiracy bollocks will cease also.

1 hour ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Yeah, on that score I'm out. 

Was not impressed with the interview and whatever 'politically correct' is in Nigel's sense is a meaningless sound bite to try and justify some awful decisions. 

Genuinely thinking about finding a more inclusive club as do not feel at home, nor wanted as a fan any more ?

Enlighten me - what's 'politically correct' in RalphMilnesLeftFoot's sense?

1 hour ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Yeah, on that score I'm out. 

Was not impressed with the interview and whatever 'politically correct' is in Nigel's sense is a meaningless sound bite to try and justify some awful decisions. 

Genuinely thinking about finding a more inclusive club as do not feel at home, nor wanted as a fan any more ?

Bye then

It seems like we have lost a few fans because of the Danny Simpson episode. In comparison to the number that would have been lost if Holden had stayed or will be lost if Pearson slings his hook and we sign another “puppet” for the Board it’s next to nothing and tbf we may well regain a few who had simply had enough of LJ’s football and sound bites come the end.

Archived