IGNORED

Nigel Pearson press conference | Bristol City v Stoke City

Unan

2 hours ago, BigTone said:

I think he's shown Gregor to be the very mediocre journalist we expect from the Bristol Post. Some of his questions were pathetic and that's being kind. Its good to see we have a manager who has worked this out in a short space of time. Perhaps now some of the conspiracy bollocks will cease also.

I've been saying similar for a while, but people get defensive over him because he answers them on Twitter.

He needs to up his game, and if he plays his cards right, interviewing Pearson could mould him into a semi decent journalist - one destined for far better things than the Post! 

One thing he does do well is ask questions that nobody else will dare. He needs to carry that on, and stop with the silly questions like trying to get inside info on the team - Pearson is never going to budge on that front. Work with, and not against.

25 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

There's nothing that's 'politically correct'. 

It's called instead, being a decent human and not justifying hate or whatever else by hiding behind the term 'PC' 

City dont have an Lgbt supporters group as far as I know and the use of terms such as Politically Correct or Woke are just another way of encouraging bigotry by minimising it. 

We have a situation where our manager's brushed aside and not answered a question by giving a fudge response.

Playing for us is not a '2nd chance', seeing as that's already been addressed by him playing for previous clubs, post conviction nor is hiring him anything to do with being a 'non' politically correct' decision'. 

I'm sorry that other fans dont get why things like that are important to  to have a club that's inclusive and not exclusive. 

This situation plus a once a year, yearly post about Rainbow Laces and sod all else is depressing especially when it's clear they didnt care about the football against DV thing, either. 

I've no faith in the club nor the team being inclusive due to the  language and actions as shown in this situation. 

It'll probably be written off by others  as being a drama queen or some such stuff. However, just for once try and see it from a different perspective and see why  actions such as these create a hostility and genuinely completely push me away as a fan. 

To be fair, I've seen some quite extreme posts from your "perspective" so I think some meeting in the middle has to be done. no one can expect every scenario to play out how they want it to go.

It feels like in terms of Simpson, as the victim of the situation seems to be supportive of the move, a lot of people are just being offended on her behalf. It would potentially be more damaging to her if her child's father couldn't seek employment at a club. It's a shame you see it as the club not caring DV (and I would prefer he'd gone to a different club perhaps) but I see it as a club accepting someone that made a mistake and appears to have changed for the better - that should be celebrated no?

And before I'm accused of belittling domestic violence, please see my previous posts on the Danny Simpson thread, I've witnessed it first hand I'm very aware of the damage it can cause.

50 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

I'm not offended on her behalf and find it continually galling that this is used as a get out. 

Clearly, I'm not making myself clear and that's fine, however, whacking in caveats of dont accuse of xyz also misses the wider point. 

Currently, I'm defacto homeless because my Landlord tried to invite himself over for a party for 2 

I work with people who've been DV'd regularly in one of my jobs and have been the victim of multiple dv s myself. 

I have my own IDVA because of the times I've been abused and presented to hospital with DV injuries. 

I hate throwing the personal stuff out there because it's a public forum and it's easy to scoff or leave emojis or down play.  However Ive tried hinting at, but clearly fell on deaf ears. 

Simply, the club could do way more on this and Lgbt issues. 

When the rhetoric coming out, downplays or is dismissive then it completely misses the point, as does the repeated use of 2nd chance as a get out. 

As a player, he's not played anywhere for sometime, Huddersfield fans suggest his legs have gone, which comes with age and at 34, the signing comes with lots of risk see Chris Brunt on that score. 

Given we've just had and old one of ours sent down for 10 years for rape committed when he was with us, and weve just signed a convicted Domestic Abuser. 

It's not asking all that much for something more than oh well it's a 2nd chance, it's not PC and tough. 

That sends out completely the wrong message and its incredibly easy to not support a team that doesn't even address the basics of this situation in literally anyway. 

Wider scale its appalling. No, if you've been affected by in any of the posts, no we're sorry for losing this endorsement or no we're working closely with any Bristol based DV organisations on this, etc. nothing. 

Tells its own story. 

Of course I'm sorry for your experiences, like I said I've had my own dealings not directly as the victim but trying to date and build a relationship with the victim (and part of that was being spied on with a hidden camera!)

I agree that given the footballing conditions of this signing aren't particularly inspiring then it's something we could and probably should have avoided, personally that was my stance on it.

However where I struggle a little is firstly this isn't a new situation. Again, not to down play it but it happened 7 years ago? He's been convicted, he's served his time (debatable I know), and continued to play for 7 years. have you been actively championing for him to be removed from football all that time or do you only care when its our club he's playing for? 

I'll also say again, what makes this case significantly different to most situations is it does appear to have been a one off incident (not excusing it...) as opposed to prolonged abuse and like it or not there is a difference. The victim herself has forgiven and it appears moved on with Simpson and is happy with him making this move.

If the victim was still at odds with him, and it appeared he was still behaving like a scum bag then it would be different. All the evidence suggests that he made a mistake and has changed for the better.

As above, on footballing reasons the signing is questionable, it's probably a situation we could have avoided as sadly there will be people like yourself who feel isolated by the clubs actions.

I don't care if he is, to some, not me, a boring, repetitive misery guts. 

He won't be measuring the grass while his team can't pass a ball or retain possession. 

He knows what he's doing and he doesn't need to impress with his words. 

As the supercar is to the man with a small appendage, a word salad is to the man trying to be something he is not. 

I'm glad we've seen the back of bullsh*t bingo for a while. 

13 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Yeah, on that score I'm out. 

Was not impressed with the interview and whatever 'politically correct' is in Nigel's sense is a meaningless sound bite to try and justify some awful decisions. 

Genuinely thinking about finding a more inclusive club as do not feel at home, nor wanted as a fan any more ?

Ffs.... Pull yourself together boy!!!

12 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

It seems like we have lost a few fans because of the Danny Simpson episode. In comparison to the number that would have been lost if Holden had stayed or will be lost if Pearson slings his hook and we sign another “puppet” for the Board it’s next to nothing and tbf we may well regain a few who had simply had enough of LJ’s football and sound bites come the end.

It’s a bit silly I think. Several of them are noticeable posters on here so who have now crossed the rubicon. If they return whilst Pearson is still manager it’ll be very hypocritical and they’ll deserve the stick they’ll get. Going to be tough for them when we’re challenging for promotion in the next few seasons ?

11 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Right, so some one 'deserves' abuse, sorry 'stick' for having their own views.  Jesus wept

No. I think you've misunderstood - It's other posters earlier in the thread who I am referring to. At that stage, it seemed like a bit of attention seeking from their POV. It seems from reading your posts that you have relatable experiences towards this issue. It's obviously incredibly nuanced and complex - but conversely I think it does it a disservice if posters appear to attention seek by claiming they no longer 'support the club' without opening dialogue as you have. 

I don't necessarily agree with your stance - I basically align with Pearson on this - but I respect that you're opening dialogue. 

Yeah, haven’t commented on the Simpson situation.

I’m uncomfortable with his signing. What he did was inexcusable. That said, I have to trust what Pearson has said. He and the Club clearly have not taken the decision lightly and fully explored the history and his character. Still not keen but if you commit an offence, should that make you unemployable for the rest of your life? Possibly not, and Pearson alluding to a ‘second chance’ is a fair point. 

From my experience, many humans are pretty awful creatures, whether in inflicting physical or emotional ( male suicide rates from failed marriages/relationships are horrendous) pain on others. The only hope is that as a species we live and learn. I have serious doubts the sort of people who inflict pain, consciously or otherwise, are capable of really changing but in today’s world where being ‘PC’, to allude to a Pearson comment but using it to justify the decision, is to give criminals second, third, fourth chances to mend their ways then, I suppose, we give it a go. 

On 01/04/2021 at 07:07, CyderInACan said:

I thought at times it seemed there were glimpses of a bit of a rapport with GMcG. Surely in more usual times you’d want to share a few bottles of the good stuff with a new gaffer and get to know each other. It can’t be easy for the  only real City correspondent. 

I thought that too. Pearson obviously enjoys making life difficult for the journalists, but at the same time understands why they ask what they ask. I think actually their relationship is developing quite nicely - could be quite amusing I think. 

20 minutes ago, TedsHeadIs Red said:

I think his interview style is fine while he is laying down his philosophy for the future. But when we go on a losing streak in the middle of next season it will start to grate a bit.

Think that’s the same with any manager.

Some of LJ’s interviews were great, especially pre-match insight.  But you’re right, when he tried to summarise a defeat it could be awful.

12 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

City dont have an Lgbt supporters group as far as I know 

I'm sorry that other fans dont get why things like that are important to  to have a club that's inclusive and not exclusive. 

Why should there be an LGBT supporters group instigated by the club?

Surely the important thing is that all supporters are welcomed in the supporters' groups that already exist?

In your experience is that not the case currently?

If you feel strongly there must be a separate supporters group for LGBT fans why not start one yourself?

8 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Hidden cameras and the rest arent fun. Ive had a few actual stalkers and the lengths people go to is mind boggling, really is unbelievable in the name of power and control. I hope you and your partner got the help you needed as it's not fun. 

In this case, it is not so much we've signed player x. (though this is very much not a 2nd chance!!) 

We've signed player x in the same weeks as one of our youth players got sent down for rape, in the middle of the rightful throwback regarding  Sarah Everard (RIP) and women's safety more generally, lost our status as champions of  anti-DV in football, said nothing but down played it instead . We've offered bugger all help to those affected, made zilch reference to it unless prompted, hiding dv, which in itself a problem. 

We've then had our manager come out and say it's a non pc decision, which when you look at it is even more incredulous. 

Dv is a serious issue and we as a club have just brushed it off and hidden it away, which is the absolute worst thing to do. 

It's impossible to support that as is completely unforgivable, especially when it's also ignored publicly and caused our reputation and relationships to fans be trashed nationally.

Not much of a family club then is it. 

Im so very very disappointed 

Ok, accepting your views and not intending to bore everyone with mine, but I assume that your disappointment in our signing of Simpson would apply to any club that did likewise, suggesting he should never play professionally again?

That being the case, which profession would you approve of, subsequent to his conviction? Obviously taking away his main source of employment is intended as further punishment that you feel appropriate, so what would you allow him to do?

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Think that’s the same with any manager.

Some of LJ’s interviews were great, especially pre-match insight.  But you’re right, when he tried to summarise a defeat it could be awful.

LJ’s summary after a defeat invariably involved blaming everyone bar himself.

Dont really see Nige doing that.

13 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

LJ’s summary after a defeat invariably involved blaming everyone bar himself.

Dont really see Nige doing that.

No, he's very much a 'we and us manager', don't think he's going to throw anybody under a bus in public but they will know behind closed doors. Thats good management 

Archived