IGNORED

England Poland

Will Rollason

39 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I found the game really really dull and predictable - typical  England, no flair, no excitement and pedestrian 

I thought the first half performance was excellent. Unlucky not to have scored more.

Second half was disappointing.

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

→ England 5/1
→ France 5/1
→ Belgium 11/2
→ Germany 15/2
→ Spain 15/2
→ Portugal 9/1
→ Italy 11/1 

Odds for the euros. Italy get my money

Denmark worth a punt, dark horses for me. Started their qualifying campaign like a steam train and beat us last year at Wembley.

The problem watching England is that we have no players of world status.  We have some fine international players and others who make up the numbers.  No one to get excited about.  The same of course applies to City at our level.  No one to grab a game by the scruff of the neck.  Our last such player was Jet who was worth the entry price on his own.

3 hours ago, E.G.Red said:

With headlines of  HOW EMBARRASING in the German papers I think they are  Whilst you expect to lose your winning streak for World Cup qualifiers at some point, it wouldn’t have been expected tonight. Plus Germany only scored their goal from the penalty spot, so not even in open play.

Hilarious that they are third in their group behind Armenia and North Macedonia. 

6 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

The problem watching England is that we have no players of world status.  We have some fine international players and others who make up the numbers.  No one to get excited about.  The same of course applies to City at our level.  No one to grab a game by the scruff of the neck.  Our last such player was Jet who was worth the entry price on his own.

Yeah, no top club in Europe would take Kane would they???????

8 hours ago, Leveller said:

I thought the first half performance was excellent. Unlucky not to have scored more.

Second half was disappointing.

It was very good football in the first half without being ruthless. But to admit that doesn’t fit the agenda that you have to bash England exactly the same as you bash City. Anyone who watched the game without an agenda can see we were poor for 45 minutes not 90 minutes.

9 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Low should have been sacked at least 3 years ago. Absolute joke that he’s leaving after the euros and not now. Another tournament written off for Germany 

Those Germans going through it - It's almost 7 years of hurt now.....

10 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

First time I’ve watched an England game in a while, I see nothing to suggest we are any better than over the last 50 years. Take their foreign club mate stars away from these English players, and they once again struggle. 

No more so than Sterling.

This is why Grealish has to play. He's the main man in his team. Has that confidence. He's not being made to look good by those around him it works the other way round. 

12 minutes ago, The Bard said:

No more so than Sterling.

This is why Grealish has to play. He's the main man in his team. Has that confidence. He's not being made to look good by those around him it works the other way round. 

Sterling's final ball when he puts an England shirt on is disgraceful. He couldn't even manage simple 5-10 yard passes to Chilwell on the overlap last night. Every time he skinned his full back or found himself in some space he was unable to produce a final ball. He doesn't get the 10 minutes to get the pass or shot right in an England shirt that he gets for Man City. He isn't the answer for us moving forwards, he plays like a headless chicken and produces one every half a dozen games. There are literally players in League 1 who have a better quality of cross than he showed last night. The one thing he brings to the team is the ability to go past players but as you say, Grealish can do that AND put in a decent final ball at the end of it.

50 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

It was very good football in the first half without being ruthless. But to admit that doesn’t fit the agenda that you have to bash England exactly the same as you bash City. Anyone who watched the game without an agenda can see we were poor for 45 minutes not 90 minutes.

There’s more than possession to good football which should lead to attempts on goal and that’s where England frequently fail.

England scored two goals, first one a very dodgy penalty and the second a cracking effort from defender Maguire. How many shot on target did England have?

I honestly can’t remember the last time that England really impressed me...........:dunno:

13 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Sterling's final ball when he puts an England shirt on is disgraceful. He couldn't even manage simple 5-10 yard passes to Chilwell on the overlap last night. Every time he skinned his full back or found himself in some space he was unable to produce a final ball. He doesn't get the 10 minutes to get the pass or shot right in an England shirt that he gets for Man City. He isn't the answer for us moving forwards, he plays like a headless chicken and produces one every half a dozen games. There are literally players in League 1 who have a better quality of cross than he showed last night. The one thing he brings to the team is the ability to go past players but as you say, Grealish can do that AND put in a decent final ball at the end of it.

Thought the worst one was not being able to pick out Foden in the box in the first half. He's not as good as people make out IMO.

Phil Foden will be a world class player very soon, he is only just approaching his 21st birthday, there are others that are under rated by the English public because it's our favourite pastime.

Too many comments on here from people who forget there are two teams on the pitch and that Poland were never going to just roll over. 

As for mental toughness, there have been England teams in the past that would have rolled over when Poland equalised, so some credit should be due to this group.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

There’s more than possession to good football which should lead to attempts on goal and that’s where England frequently fail.

England scored two goals, first one a very dodgy penalty and the second a cracking effort from defender Maguire. How many shot on target did England have?

I honestly can’t remember the last time that England really impressed me...........:dunno:

The Kane effort in the first half after Foden's touch was superb one touch football that you and others would have been fawning over had it been Belgium or Brazil that produced it and produced a very decent save from Szczesny. Second half we were very poor, first half we weren't very poor but to be honest I wouldn't expect very many people on here at all to be fair and reasonable about it when polarised opinion works far better.

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

The Kane effort in the first half after Foden's touch was superb one touch football that you and others would have been fawning over had it been Belgium or Brazil that produced it and produced a very decent save from Szczesny. Second half we were very poor, first half we weren't very poor but to be honest I wouldn't expect very many people on here at all to be fair and reasonable about it when polarised opinion works far better.

I agree with a lot of that, which is odd because I completely disagree with your opinion of Sterling, his great run caused the penalty and he nearly waltzed through their entire defence at one stage. He was one of the main reasons that Poland had to make changes in the second half.

I have to say that I feel I trust Peps opinion more when it comes to his players, I wouldn't imagine he would tolerate a player who could only match up to "league one standards".

3 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I agree with a lot of that, which is odd because I completely disagree with your opinion of Sterling, his great run caused the penalty and he nearly waltzed through their entire defence at one stage. He was one of the main reasons that Poland had to make changes in the second half.

I have to say that I feel I trust Peps opinion more when it comes to his players, I wouldn't imagine he would tolerate a player who could only match up to "league one standards".

My opinion as I said in my previous post is that in an England shirt Sterling doesn't get the time and options on the ball he gets at Man City and his final ball for the respective teams reflects that. He clearly has the ability to go past players but when he does it for England his final ball has to be better because he doesn't have a choice of five players to pick out, it will be one or two in an England shirt. He has shown me time and time again IN AN ENGLAND SHIRT that he cannot produce in the way he does for Man City. His quality of final pass was shocking last night and he was literally messing up 5-10 yard balls. I saw it with my own eyes on a number of occasions. Point me to one (just the one) cross last night where he picked out a player for a shot or a header on goal.............given the fact that he destroyed the right back at will in the first half you shouldn't have too much problem doing that?

5 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

My opinion as I said in my previous post is that in an England shirt Sterling doesn't get the time and options on the ball he gets at Man City and his final ball for the respective teams reflects that. He clearly has the ability to go past players but when he does it for England his final ball has to be better because he doesn't have a choice of five players to pick out, it will be one or two in an England shirt. He has shown me time and time again IN AN ENGLAND SHIRT that he cannot produce in the way he does for Man City. His quality of final pass was shocking last night and he was literally messing up 5-10 yard balls. I saw it with my own eyes on a number of occasions. Point me to one (just the one) cross last night where he picked out a player for a shot or a header on goal.............given the fact that he destroyed the right back at will in the first half you shouldn't have too much problem doing that?

Some of his passing last night was poor and Chilwell dug him out a couple of times, but I don't think that is indicative of all his performances at England level. I don't have any stats to back up that impression.

11 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Yes. Sterling , Foden & mount are boring ain’t they ?

Is it wrong to think that this team as whole is boring?

When these 3 dominate a tournament, I’ll get excited.

11 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

First time I’ve watched an England game in a while, I see nothing to suggest we are any better than over the last 50 years. Take their foreign club mate stars away from these English players, and they once again struggle. 

I agree Bill. In international terms, they're very ordinary.Too many people get sucked into the media hype about just how good they are. They may well be the best that we have, but that doesn't make them the world beaters they're portrayed to be by the media frenzy. 

29 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Phil Foden will be a world class player very soon, he is only just approaching his 21st birthday, there are others that are under rated by the English public because it's our favourite pastime.

Too many comments on here from people who forget there are two teams on the pitch and that Poland were never going to just roll over. 

As for mental toughness, there have been England teams in the past that would have rolled over when Poland equalised, so some credit should be due to this group.

Anyone would think that Poland are some rank amateur pub team outfit that should be rollered 11 or 12-0. Go through their team and who they play for...........put it another way if we signed half a dozen of their better players (lets ignore Lewandoski) everyone on here would be creaming themselves proclaiming not only will we up by February we will also be finishing top 10 first season in the Prem.........

11 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

My takeaways from tonights game;

Better than the other two games this week.

Foden - every inch an International player, love watching him play

Phillips - International my arse

Pope - he will never be able to kick a ball properly, he kicks with a "floppy" foot, mostly side foot. Liability in that respect. The rest of his game is pretty average so I can't see him being an England number 1 for long. Totally unimpressed with him.

Stones - always got that mistake in him, but all defenders have tbf and he had a very good game other than that,  plus a good assist. 

We lost our way in the second half and Southgate didn't change anything - he got away with one tonight.

We aint good enough to do anything in the Euros or World cup imo - very unconvincing performance.

We should play one DM, most people agree Blah blah.

BUT, he played 250/270 minutes, the 20 minutes he was off the pitch was the 20 minutes we seemingly lost the plot against Albania.

He is a DM being asked to play a more B2B MF role, it isn’t his best position but it is what it is.

Archived