Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

RIP Yeovil Town's Lee Collins

Nothing in life can prepare you for what has happened in the last week. The sadness that has consumed all of us at Huish Park has been overwhelming – each of us attempting to cope in our own different ways. In the depths of this darkness though I think is it important to acknowledge just how many people have messaged, called and paid their respects to the man we called captain. On behalf of all the players and the management team we cannot thank you enough. The support and love you have offered, once again, demonstrates the power of football and the family it creates.

The ground has been flooded with flowers, scarves, shirts and messages paying respects to Lee. Seeing this visible representation of our shared love for Lee grow day by day, has brought me great comfort. Huish Park is where I spent the majority of my time with Lee, and at the moment this is where I feel his sudden loss most intensely. But this is also where I’ll always feel closest to him. So, sharing this space with so many moving tributes from the fans helps all of us here feel slightly less alone in our grief and for that we are deeply grateful. 

In respect to Lee’s teammates, they are all dealing with his loss in their own individual way, and we will do all we can to support them through this immensely challenging time. One of Lee’s teammates recently described Lee as “our glue” and I take great comfort in thinking of him in that way. What better tribute could there be to our captain than that – through his immense skill as a leader he brought the changing room together and when necessary, kept it in line! Even now as we process his loss, we are united again through Lee with our fans and with his family. Once again, he is “our glue”. 

I would like to take the chance to thank the National League and all the clubs that have held a minute’s silence in Lee’s honour over the last week. It is obvious that Lee had a huge effect on everyone he came across and all the wonderful football clubs he represented. We are very grateful for the love and support.

As you would expect Lee’s wonderful family are rallying round each other and learning how to cope and move forward in their new reality. I would ask that we continue to respect their privacy at this difficult time and allow them the space they need. But I would like them to know that the YTFC family is and will be here for you whenever you need it. We take care of our own here and Lee was and will always be one of our own. 

Lastly, to Lee. I want to thank him for his unwavering trust and loyalty over the last 20 months. To say we were close is an understatement, he was and is ‘MY GUY’. I will remember his strength of character, his undeniable playing ability and his will to win. It will always make me smile when I reminisce about our times together behind the scenes at Huish Park and I know all those that shared a changing room with him will understand this sentiment and feel the same. He was one of a kind and I will miss him greatly.

Lee and I came here to win, to achieve and create the most wonderful lasting memories, and that is what we are going to do, with our #4 always by our side.

Gaffer

• Like 7
  • Sad 1
On 01/04/2021 at 18:28, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

RIP 

Awful news, hope his family and friends get the support they need. 

The sticky thread at the top of the forum has lots of great info if anyone has been affected by this sudden loss. 

Once again, you offer warm, sensible advice.

Thank You 

• Like 1

The inquest into Lee's death was opened and adjourned earlier today.

He missed training last Wednesday so the hotel he was staying at was contacted. They then found he'd taken his own life. Desperately sad news to try to come to terms with.

I've been a Yeovil fan all my life (50 years and counting) and this is one of the saddest pieces of club related news I've read. I was working at the club in 2010 when Adam Stansfield passed away & that was difficult to deal with, even though he had left Yeovil several years before. But to have this happen is devastating for his family; he had a partner and three gorgeous girls under ten.

As others have said, for goodness sake please open up and talk to others, and don't let it get as far as, well, you know.

Rest in peace, Lee. 

Edited by Hengrovian
  • Like 4
  • Sad 14
8 minutes ago, Hengrovian said:

He missed training last Wednesday so the hotel he was staying at was contacted. They then found he'd taken his own life. Desperately sad news to try to come to terms with.

I've been a Yeovil fan all my life (50 years and counting) and this is one of the saddest pieces of club related news I've read. I was working at the club in 2010 when Adam Stansfield passed away & that was difficult to deal with, even though he had left Yeovil several years before. But to have this happen is devastating for his family; he had a partner and three gorgeous girls under ten.

As others have said, for goodness sake please open up and talk to others, and don't let it get as far as, well, you know.

Rest in peace, Lee. 

It is incredibly sad and may I just add, as someone who had some involvement in the hotel industry during my working life, very traumatic for the hotel workers who found him as well.

• Like 4

I don't wish to comment on this specific event, but it doesn't half make me feel that if people cared for each other in every deed and word, this world would be a whole lot better for everyone to live in. 

Just for a few mins every day, think about your own impact on others, the things you say, the views you perpetuate, whether you add to or take from society. 

Make sure the world is a better place for you being in it. Make it a better place for others. 

Edited by CotswoldRed
  • Like 10
2 hours ago, Hengrovian said:

Rest in peace, Lee. 

It’s so sad.

What’s difficult to remember is that when you are physically ill, it’s your mind that is rational and knows to seek help. 

When your mind is struggling, there is no rational part left that knows to seek help.

A very close friend of mine took his life 18 months ago and I still think I wish we had talked more, but the truth is when you are struggling like this, it is that rational, controlling part of your existence that is failing. Just so sad.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Hengrovian said:

Rest in peace, Lee. 

Thanks for taking the time to come on here and share your heartfelt comments, condolences to Lee's family, friends and all connected to Yeovil Town FC.

This is such a very, very sad thing to have happened - life can be so hard sometimes and it’s dreadful to learn about decent, nice people who just can’t go on. Lee Collins, rest easy fella.

One of my heroes took his own life, and I’ve also struggled with lots of stuff that has happened to me and people close to me - but in the darkest moments it’s amazing how something can just strike a chord - one video featuring that guy gave me both hope and optimism - just when I needed it.

It just sort of seems appropriate to post the video right now - I sincerely apologise if anyone disagrees - anyway, here it is ...

• Like 2