IGNORED

Nigel Pearson

Desso

7 minutes ago, INCRED said:

That’s what we are lacking, winners, leaders and a desire to give 100% for the Manager, the fans and the club

This lot know they are on borrowed time so don’t give a damn and are going through the motions whilst waiting for their agents to line them up another club to fleece

The lack of  a natural leader on the pitch has been a massive problem for many years very strange a succesion of numerous managers have  failed to address this glaringly obvious problem is bamboozling

Pearson’s inherited a squad largely made up of deadwood that was assembled by LJ, Ashton and Holden. Our recruitment has been woeful and that’s why we keep getting the consistently gutless, insipid performances. Pearson needs to be able to rebuild it, IMO, and why the board is dithering over sorting his future is beyond me. 

49 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

Fair do’s for responding, and I mean this with respect, but not sure what you expected? Same players, deep-rooted comfort culture, poor/vanity signings, injury-prone squad.

To expect Pearson to come in and immediately make us click because he assembled a Leicester squad full of vibrant up and coming carefully scouted players, that got over 100 points a few years ago, is a bit of an ask.

Give him the job, let him get his people about the club, let said people sign the players, then lets have a look at Nigel Pearson the manager.

But you might have expected something. Look I don't know how bad it was before Pearson, I know the results in the last few games before him were really grim, but the bits that I've seen the last two games have been pretty poor, I'd have expected better than that from him at this stage. The results haven't been great, I didn't see the Swansea game but I saw Steve Sidwell in BT saying how you weren't in the game for 60 minutes and Pearson himself acknowledged the good fortune in winning that game and then you've beaten a diabolical Birmingham side. It's not like you've played good teams either, the previous chaps last games were at least against the better sides, Pearson's haven't been since Swansea (oh Bournemouth I missed, apologies). Rotherham were really poor and Stoke weren't up to much either, yet Pearson's team showed very little against them. Judging by the above comment, he doesn't know for sure that he'll be at Bristol City next year and from my limited viewing, I don't really see what he's trying to do with the team at this point. Plenty of managers have had a track record at one club and not produced it elsewhere, his record is now 6+ years old with little to show since, couple that with what has been produced so far and I can understand why some might be hesitating.

I see a lot of the benefit of the doubt given to him because it's other people's mess which is fine but I think people pointing out that what his team has produced so far on the pitch is really disappointing and it's not really clear how he's setting the team. I think people pointing that out are making a fair point. As you say, you can't really make your mind up on him until he's had more time and a transfer window or two. But I

19 minutes ago, Desso said:

Joe Williams?

Has played all of two 1st team games, wouldn’t want to say how he could fit into a Pearson midfield before he gets a chance to play. One thing could be Palmer dropping out/playing out wide and the three of Williams, Massengo and Walsh rotating quickly and often being hard to pick up and varying who joins the attacks and stays back. 

Just now, Snufflelufagus said:

My worry is 'the club' Lansdown, Ashton, Tinnion etc want the academy to be a success. I can't see them sanchioning loads of new signings if it will block the pathway of the chosen ones. 

Disagree - just have to look at Nige’s first signing.

I can see us signing a number of players with experience and who have played for him previously being signed in the summer

9 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Found this exchange more worrying though, unless the club are keeping quiet..

Do you think at this stage that a decision will be made on your long-term future before the end of the season or in the summer?

If it’s in the summer it will be too late.

If our aspirations are to be a Premier League side then we have probably got between four and six transfer windows to create a squad. This summer, if you consider that we, along with every other EFL squad, have minimal revenue streams.

I think that this year in particular, however people envisage transfer windows, this one is going to be very different. 

People don’t have money to spend. It’s been a challenge for football clubs throughout the country, and particularly in the EFL, to stay operational at the level they’ve been at before.

If there are expectations in terms of us being really expressive in the transfer window then I think people are going to be disappointed. We are going to have to be creative, we are going to have to be inventive.

The timescale of where this club goes from now, to achieve the dream of being in the Premier League, will be affected by finances and the economic market, and the economic state of the game. 

Will it take longer than under normal circumstances?

Possibly, but I’m a big believer in being transparent. I would still rather set a time frame. But I’ve not discussed that yet with the owners.

I have a clear picture in my mind for sure

It does indicate he would be happy to take the job though. Over to the Owner and the CEO...........

13 minutes ago, Ostrich said:

But you might have expected something. Look I don't know how bad it was before Pearson, I know the results in the last few games before him were really grim, but the bits that I've seen the last two games have been pretty poor, I'd have expected better than that from him at this stage. The results haven't been great, I didn't see the Swansea game but I saw Steve Sidwell in BT saying how you weren't in the game for 60 minutes and Pearson himself acknowledged the good fortune in winning that game and then you've beaten a diabolical Birmingham side. It's not like you've played good teams either, the previous chaps last games were at least against the better sides, Pearson's haven't been since Swansea (oh Bournemouth I missed, apologies). Rotherham were really poor and Stoke weren't up to much either, yet Pearson's team showed very little against them. Judging by the above comment, he doesn't know for sure that he'll be at Bristol City next year and from my limited viewing, I don't really see what he's trying to do with the team at this point. Plenty of managers have had a track record at one club and not produced it elsewhere, his record is now 6+ years old with little to show since, couple that with what has been produced so far and I can understand why some might be hesitating.

I see a lot of the benefit of the doubt given to him because it's other people's mess which is fine but I think people pointing out that what his team has produced so far on the pitch is really disappointing and it's not really clear how he's setting the team. I think people pointing that out are making a fair point. As you say, you can't really make your mind up on him until he's had more time and a transfer window or two. But I

I think 3 consecutive away games scoring 3 goals in each is the difference he has made.

Not dramatic to say we would have 9 points less if he was not here the way we were going.

3 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

Disagree - just have to look at Nige’s first signing.

I can see us signing a number of players with experience and who have played for him previously being signed in the summer

Let's hope you are correct and I'm wrong. It wouldn't surprise me if Nige saw through all the Ashton and Academy 'plans' and thought better of it.

11 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Found this exchange more worrying though, unless the club are keeping quiet..

Do you think at this stage that a decision will be made on your long-term future before the end of the season or in the summer?

If it’s in the summer it will be too late.

If our aspirations are to be a Premier League side then we have probably got between four and six transfer windows to create a squad. This summer, if you consider that we, along with every other EFL squad, have minimal revenue streams.

I think that this year in particular, however people envisage transfer windows, this one is going to be very different. 

People don’t have money to spend. It’s been a challenge for football clubs throughout the country, and particularly in the EFL, to stay operational at the level they’ve been at before.

If there are expectations in terms of us being really expressive in the transfer window then I think people are going to be disappointed. We are going to have to be creative, we are going to have to be inventive.

The timescale of where this club goes from now, to achieve the dream of being in the Premier League, will be affected by finances and the economic market, and the economic state of the game. 

Will it take longer than under normal circumstances?

Possibly, but I’m a big believer in being transparent. I would still rather set a time frame. But I’ve not discussed that yet with the owners.

I have a clear picture in my mind for sure

I would say thats a clear indication he's in for the long term

28 minutes ago, Ostrich said:

Not a fan of his then

37 minutes ago, Banjo Island said:

The lack of  a natural leader on the pitch has been a massive problem for many years very strange a succesion of numerous managers have  failed to address this glaringly obvious problem is bamboozling

Agreed, although I do think the absence of Korey Smith in the past few years was a big loss for us.

Coincidentally, I think if we had kept him this season we would look a bit stronger in the middle.

Mind you saying that, with our injury record this season, and his over the past 2 or 3, we'd have probably broken him for good.

9 minutes ago, Red_Alligator said:

For the first time in many a year, I find myself having no concerns around which players may leave over the summer. I think it would be great if we could keep the Manager though. 

Agreed I would quite happily ship out the lot if it meant keeping him. 

8 minutes ago, Red_Alligator said:

For the first time in many a year, I find myself having no concerns around which players may leave over the summer. I think it would be great if we could keep the Manager though. 

Hear hear. 

Regardless of in or out of contract I’d fight to keep four of this squad and the rest can foxtrot Oscar. 

1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

If I were to start imagining how our squad will shape up for next season I think I'd be expecting something like this before you account for any out goings

Bentley

NEW               Vyner                Kalas            Dasilva

Walsh            Massengo

Semenyo               Palmer              O'Dowda/NEW

Wells/NEW

No disrespect to you, but I bloody hope not

Just watched his post match interview.

Big Nige impresses me every time I hear him speak. Very candid, says it as he sees it with the occasional hint that he’ll be here next season. - a proper manager,  the first one since Danny Wilson.

1 hour ago, TomThumb84 said:

Anyone judging Dean Holden’s credentials in managing a squad of Championship footballers, against Nigel Pearson’s ability to do it, should frankly not bother unless they are on a wind-up. With respect.

Pearson’s job in sorting this out, has been made considerably worse with the appointment of Holden and the support network/player acquisition strategy needed to baby-sit him through having even half a chance.

To then judge Nigel Pearson against that, with what he has inherited both in legacy and in culture is laughable.

I think everyone knows that Pearson is a better manager than Holden. But I think it's fair to be disappointed in the lack of improvement so far. On paper at least, there are some good players in that squad

Just had a thought, I wonder how he'll react about selling our best players, which inevitably happens to most clubs but I feel we do it more and as sometimes as soon as the player performs. It's a possability we'll go into next season with a weaker squad (sounds impossible i know) 

Makes you wonder if LJ was doing a good job consistently really, possibly with a weaker squad than we currently have as well! Anyway, I’m confident Pearson will sort it & I don’t have one doubt he will be here next season. From his after match interview, I’d say he’s seen enough of a few & if they ain’t in this for the long haul, we may not see a few in a City shirt again. COYR 

2 minutes ago, M.D said:

Not a fan of his then

No, I am. He was part of a heck of a ride for us at Leicester, in both spells, and I'd love him to do well elsewhere but I am skeptical whether he will be able to without his trusted lieutenants.

It just seems that he's going to get a free pass over these games because it's not his mess. As I say, I have not seen all his games in charge, nor did I see anything from before him, but I'd get the free pass a little bit more if there was more being shown on the pitch. To ascribe the Boro to him seems odd to me and he admitted himself you were fortunate not to be beat comfortably at Swansea. If it is a marked improvement then fair enough, things were really grim beforehand. 
Since he left Leicester, he had a nightmare at Derby and he left Leuven in relegation trouble despite having by far the biggest budget in the Belgian second tier. He started well at Watford (he can inherit a mess and show a bit of direction), albeit with Shakespeare at his side, but then tailed off a bit and Watford fans went off him a bit. I see lots of talk about giving him full control but it's not like he had full control at Leicester, nor does he have his head of recruitment with him. 

As I say, by all means he needs time and transfer windows but I think those that are already wary have justification.

Archived