IGNORED

Nigel Pearson

Desso

4 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

No disrespect to you, but I bloody hope not

Point was partly you can assume there will be outgoings (as you need other interested clubs) beyond those out of contract, I imagine most on here would sell Wells if we got an offer for him but no guarantee we would even if we flogged his name around. There’s no guarantee that we’ll have much money to spend as it’s been a whole season without fans so Pearson’s reformation of the club may have to take place over a couple of seasons. But if we had to prioritise I think we’d be looking RB, LW and a striker this summer. 

11 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Just watched his post match interview.

Big Nige impresses me every time I hear him speak. Very candid, says it as he sees it with the occasional hint that he’ll be here next season. - a proper manager,  the first one since Danny Wilson.

I like how he criticises positively without throwing anyone under the bus - it’s a clever skill only the best man managers can do 

13 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Just watched his post match interview.

Big Nige impresses me every time I hear him speak. Very candid, says it as he sees it with the occasional hint that he’ll be here next season. - a proper manager,  the first one since Danny Wilson.

Bit harsh on Cotts tbh

6 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Because? .....

The lack of improvement has, surely, been illuminating. 

Because there's barely even been a new manager bounce. In what way illuminating?

7 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

Semenyo (although I’d sell for the right price) Dasilva, HNM, Kalas. 

The rest can go steal a living somewhere else. 

I'm not fussed about Kalas or Massengo, tbh. I like Semenyo and Dasilva though

You can tell he can see how much of a shambles this season has been. Especially with the injuries. He’s been around the block, he will know the mess that department has been/is in. This week is the straw that broke the camels back. Sam Bell has basically never had to leave a game through Injury before. Walsh out the side again. Both of which hamstring injuries to add to the pile. It’s embarrassing 

Just now, Moments of Pleasure said:

For Pearson, mostly. To see clearly what we are, what this squad really are. What needs to be done. And also opening our eyes as to the mediocrity and the mess we have created and assembled here.

I just find the whole thing terribly frustrating tbh. It's taken four years to disassemble a really good team and assemble a new one (!), and now it seems we're gonna have to start all over again.

5 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

My main fear is the extent of the rebuild required costs more money than we have to spend.

I think we are a few years away at least from troubling the top 6.

To be fair it would be the case for most clubs if they needed a rebuild outside the PL clubs and parachute payment clubs. The only other way is having one or more £20m assets like Brentford. Otherwise it is going to take a couple of seasons for anyone to rebuild a squad, the question is just how well can you perform while doing so.

1 minute ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

For Pearson, mostly. To see clearly what we are, what this squad really are. What needs to be done. And also opening our eyes as to the mediocrity and the mess we have created and assembled here.

Spot on.

It is painful to watch but it reminds me of the time after GJ took over & we lost to all and sundry.

He had more of the season left but by the end of it had weeded out a lot of the rubbish.

Pearson only has 7 more games to do so, for me who stops featuring in his squad from now on (& is fit) will be illuminating.

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Spot on.

It is painful to watch but it reminds me of the time after GJ took over & we lost to all and sundry.

He had more of the season left but by the end of it had weeded out a lot of the rubbish.

Pearson only has 7 more games to do so, for me who stops featuring in his squad from now on (& is fit) will be illuminating.

Great comparison tbf - can take time 

8 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

No Bentley ? And whats this love in for Massengo all of a sudden ?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Bentley is replaced next season, and not necessarily because of a club coming in for him.

10 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

No Bentley ? And whats this love in for Massengo all of a sudden ?

Not all of a sudden for a lot of people - he’s just starting to thrive under a manager who knows how to use and develop him properly.

Massengo will go on to have the best career of anyone who has passed through the club since Andy Cole.  

6 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

To be fair it would be the case for most clubs if they needed a rebuild outside the PL clubs and parachute payment clubs. The only other way is having one or more £20m assets like Brentford. Otherwise it is going to take a couple of seasons for anyone to rebuild a squad, the question is just how well can you perform while doing so.

My prediction is we will be troubling the bottom 6 rather than the top 6 next season. This mess will take a few seasons to correct. What gets my goat is how Ashton was allowed to sell the top players without any plan B to replace. Don’t expect miracles next season. Ashton the snake has to go as this is his mess.

9 minutes ago, Superjack said:

"The guy" that gave us the only title in most of our lifetimes and a cup final win to go with it.

You really are a buffoon.

SC lacked any real ‘presence’ whereas when Big Nige oozes plenty. I’d rather have NP beside me in the trenches than SC.

It's clear these players have mental hang-ups coached into them by the last two managers. For about 2-3 years they've been coached to not take risks at home, so changing the mental block they have is gonna take more then a couple of games to sort out and probably won't happen due to the contract situations come the summer. 

In the last 5-10 home games under Johnson, there were occasions when risk taking was needed, but once we took them our shape completely went and we were exposed massively on the counter attack. This was duly noted by messers Johnson and Holden and they quickly reverted to type with slow turgid football with hardly any shots on goal. 

So what do you need in the pursuit of taking risks I ask? My thoughts would be

1. A trust in the style of play so when it came to taking risks you were confident in yourself and the players around you that they'd be on a similar wavelength (we didn't have a style of play under Johnson/Holden at home.)

2. Ball retention/possession  to build confidence/technical ability and movement off the ball (our ball retention/possession was bad under LJ and horrendous under DH).

3. Confidence in your shape so if the risk taking attacking move breaks down you have a plan to combat it.

Would be great to get other people's opinion on the above.

Think it's ludicrous that people are questioning NP over this, I mean c'mon he's only been here just over a month, he aint a ******* miracle worker

Just now, Robbored said:

SC lacked any real ‘presence’ whereas when Big Nige oozes plenty. I’d rather have NP beside me in the trenches than SC.

I'd like to see you say that to Cotterill's face.

But let's face it, you don't have the best track record with that.

He's working with an injury hit squad and the previous two failed head coachs' players and staff. His hands are largely tied.

He's evidently losing patience with some players. We need a massive clearout in the summer to clear the decks and start again.

We are so passive in games. That is largely down to the "Bristol City"  type of player the club goes for.

We are unable to unlock teams at home who are largely well organised and today epitomized this.

For me I can see that we'll have to move on (if we can) Moore, Hunt, Rowe, Mariappa, Lansbury, Baker, Watkins, Paterson, Diedhiou. Semenyo will be sold as will probably Bentley to generate some additional income.

Archived