IGNORED

Nigel Pearson

Desso

Under cotts I had the best season I've witnessed in my time being a supporter but I  haven't had the buzz to go down after putting up with 2 seasons of Johnson.  I've finally got the buzz back, knowing that we have a proper manager in charge again. With a few additions, we have the makings of a very good team with Pearson steering the ship. 

19 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Interesting that in his post match interview Pearson said his future would have to be decided before the summer.

Is that a warning shot across SL’s bows, or a flyer for other clubs that might be interested?

Another pathetic appointment incoming? Wouldn’t surprise me in the least!

21 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Cotts clearly had the quality in the squad to stay up and failed. He did well in league one but don't get the obsession.

I don't think its an obsession Jon but a lot of fans (myself included) don't feel he was fairly backed after what he achieved in 14/15.

I have nothing against Lee Johnson but the resources he was given over a 4 year period were incredible compared to what SC was allowed to spend.

Its all hypothetical now but it just felt that SC was a good fit for Bristol City, but maybe not the correct fit in the boardroom?

27 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Cotts clearly had the quality in the squad to stay up and failed. He did well in league one but don't get the obsession.

******* ridiculous post, he was given zero support, we didn’t even sign a player till a week before the new season whereas the year before our business was done early and clinically... he was forced out no question! 

34 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Interesting that in his post match interview Pearson said his future would have to be decided before the summer.

Is that a warning shot across SL’s bows, or a flyer for other clubs that might be interested?

I think its just an indication he's in, wants to be able to get on to summer recruitment planning asap while working out what he needs to bring in, if he starts in the summer after he signs on would be too late to start as we'd be behind other teams in how quickly we're moving.

Just now, Lrrr said:

I think its just an indication he's in, wants to be able to get on to summer recruitment planning asap while working out what he needs to bring in, if he starts in the summer after he signs on would be too late to start as we'd be behind other teams in how quickly we're moving.

Exactly how I interpret it.

Won’t stop those who want to moan about everything seeing it differently, though.

37 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

It is a real worry for  me that SL has not come out and sorted out Pearson's position for next season. A manager of his stature and ability will have no shortages of clubs wanting his services. He needs to be given the job permanently now so he can clear out the dross and start planning for next season. To lose him would be a disaster.

12 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

He's quite right too. Lets get ahead of the game - for once.

Interesting that in his post match interview he says it will take 4-6 windows to build a side to get to the Premier League (echoes of LJ there). He also dampens hopes of a big spending summer, saying we may not be as expressive in the market and have to be creative. Another familiar echo, I think firstly lowering expectations and secondly hinting we will sell to buy. Then it comes down to who is most marketable. 

I think Bents possibly, Antoine or HMN reluctantly as 4-6 windows won’t be soon enough for them to reach the Premier League and they could fetch big bucks now or with sell-ons. Wells still has a value but who else gets us any cash that is not OOC. Palmer and If he was fit maybe Jay D as I think Nige wants some more physical presence at the back and it also depends if he rates Kalas as his leader. I guess we are now back to where we were when LJ came in so probably a stream of ins and outs for at least 2 seasons. Welcome to Groundhog day.

4 hours ago, INCRED said:

That’s what we are lacking, winners, leaders and a desire to give 100% for the Manager, the fans and the club

This lot know they are on borrowed time so don’t give a damn and are going through the motions whilst waiting for their agents to line them up another club to fleece

Yep, and if they are, I don’t blame them either.  The club let the contract situation happen.  The CEO exacerbated it.  Ultimately it’s led to a bunch of players who have nothing to play for both personally and as a team (in mid/low table going nowhere).  The club has stuffed up.

4 hours ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

With the squad we had at the start of the season I think a top 6 place was achievable but an unbelievable injury list and a poor appointment ended that.

Much as I hate losing it’s probably better that Nigel has been able to have this period to assess the squad, the attitudes as much as the abilities. HNM had an apprenticeship at a top European club and it shows. Bakinson (and he has improved massively this season) seems to be more Palmer-like and casual on the field than say Semenyo, Vyner or HNM. Great players leave the dressing room and change into warriors whereas also-rans can’t step up or step to when required and boy we certainly have some also-rans.

It will be interesting to see if any of today’s players are more absent from team selection in the coming weeks. Players such as Tyreeq could be loaned out for a season to see if they can make it and some like Wells, Hunt, Mapps and Palmer may be moving on along with a good few others. Rowe may get a couple of games to prove himself but he is basically for all his commitment a 6th/7th choice midfielder playing full back. Nigels honeymoon may be over but for some players divorce is now the only option on the table. 

Interesting you mention Semenyo, Vyner and Massengo.  They all will have a future here imho.  They are hardworking with what looks like desire to improve.

Bakinson has not responded to the new manager.

4 hours ago, billywedlock said:

Found this exchange more worrying though, unless the club are keeping quiet..

Do you think at this stage that a decision will be made on your long-term future before the end of the season or in the summer?

If it’s in the summer it will be too late.

If our aspirations are to be a Premier League side then we have probably got between four and six transfer windows to create a squad. This summer, if you consider that we, along with every other EFL squad, have minimal revenue streams.

I think that this year in particular, however people envisage transfer windows, this one is going to be very different. 

People don’t have money to spend. It’s been a challenge for football clubs throughout the country, and particularly in the EFL, to stay operational at the level they’ve been at before.

If there are expectations in terms of us being really expressive in the transfer window then I think people are going to be disappointed. We are going to have to be creative, we are going to have to be inventive.

The timescale of where this club goes from now, to achieve the dream of being in the Premier League, will be affected by finances and the economic market, and the economic state of the game. 

Will it take longer than under normal circumstances?

Possibly, but I’m a big believer in being transparent. I would still rather set a time frame. But I’ve not discussed that yet with the owners.

I have a clear picture in my mind for sure

Yeah, I posted a snippet earlier.

I like the word “creative”.  I liked the comment on Wednesday about no marquee signings.

He finishes off strongly....he knows.

In some respects SL has seen a bit of player power get Holden the job, and then get him sacked.  I think NP is quietly allowing a few to “hang themselves”.  No point him coming in all guns blazing and get a mutiny.  I think he’s sussed out a few very quickly.

Said a few times on threads now literally the only players good enough to stay are Bentley and Kalas. All the out of contract players don’t just have to go they need to go. We must move on from the LJ/Holden players and get rid of the dead wood, inconsistency and quite frankly mid table players we have. 

3 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

I think everyone knows that Pearson is a better manager than Holden. But I think it's fair to be disappointed in the lack of improvement so far. On paper at least, there are some good players in that squad

We are at a point where I’m afraid that we need to look beyond results.  Safety is assured thanks to a 3 game run (Simpson and Downing at Boro plus 2 under NP).  Performances have been mixed to say the least.  But I genuinely feel this is about sussing out who’s got the bollocks to play for him, and who the free-loaders are.  For all the shit about DNA, it appears that we forgot any of the football related DNA.  Cynical me says, we signed players (after Tomlin and O’Neil) that weren’t trouble makers (in different ways) to the head-coach.

3 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

I just find the whole thing terribly frustrating tbh. It's taken four years to disassemble a really good team and assemble a new one (!), and now it seems we're gonna have to start all over again.

What a legacy eh? Boy have we wasted some money.  Thank god we made some good money.

58 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Cynical me says, we signed players (after Tomlin and O’Neil) that weren’t trouble makers (in different ways) to the head-coach.

This is a really fair point that had never really thought about before, but I’d get the feeling Gary O’Neil, in particular, would be a complete lieutenant for a manager like Nigel Pearson. Someone he, no doubt, would greatly respect for his playing career, wealth of managerial experience and general demeanour whereas it was pretty clear he had no real regard for Johnson whatsoever. To me, at least. 

It reflects badly on GON, of course, as I am sure LJ, not unreasonably, expected his experience and leadership to be a central part of our team, GON’s injuries notwithstanding, but didn’t have the experience and, I dunno, gravitas?, perhaps, to bring an experienced player known for being ‘a leader’ successfully into the fold.

21 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Danny Wilson is a fraud who couldn’t get out of League 1 even if he had a billion quid. He’d put Lionel Messi on the bench...

@Robbored

I was waiting with a reply about his love in for Wilson and not cotts despite Wilson unable to win promotion, weirdly I didn’t get a response to my points whereas they responded to others...

3 hours ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Interesting that in his post match interview he says it will take 4-6 windows to build a side to get to the Premier League (echoes of LJ there). He also dampens hopes of a big spending summer, saying we may not be as expressive in the market and have to be creative. Another familiar echo, I think firstly lowering expectations and secondly hinting we will sell to buy. Then it comes down to who is most marketable. 

I think Bents possibly, Antoine or HMN reluctantly as 4-6 windows won’t be soon enough for them to reach the Premier League and they could fetch big bucks now or with sell-ons. Wells still has a value but who else gets us any cash that is not OOC. Palmer and If he was fit maybe Jay D as I think Nige wants some more physical presence at the back and it also depends if he rates Kalas as his leader. I guess we are now back to where we were when LJ came in so probably a stream of ins and outs for at least 2 seasons. Welcome to Groundhog day.

Good point you make re 4-6 windows and Groundhog Day.

This added to Pearson’s point that he had a plan for future, and my earlier point about a contract pre summer (previously he has said that it would be sorted at end of season) is a sure fire indication he wants long term contract and full control.  If owner remains true to form then we may well lose Pearson.  Moreover Pearson would, IMO, be absolutely right to put distance between himself and a club going round in a perpetual circle.

11 hours ago, GTFABM said:

Ok i am going to get ripped to pieces here. If you put pep/klopp in charge of the same group of players as holden/johnson would you not expect an upturn in results/performances?

Yes I would expect an upturn in performances, an insight into the style of play we could look forward to, a renewed desire from the players who are now playing from what I am led to believe is a disciplined manager.

I do wonder if say we had brought in Michael Appleton instead of Pearson if he would be getting defended as hard as Nige is following our current form. My guess is probably not

21 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

So you think Lansdown wanted Cotts to lose games to justify sacking him?

Don’t believe that was why he was sacked, think LJ’s losses. I believe he was sacked because of total breakdown in relationship, hence SC not having full complement on bench.

8 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Yes I would expect an upturn in performances, an insight into the style of play we could look forward to, a renewed desire from the players who are now playing from what I am led to believe is a disciplined manager.

I do wonder if say we had brought in Michael Appleton instead of Pearson if he would be getting defended as hard as Nige is following our current form. My guess is probably not

We have seen an upturn in performances away from home and I read recently that there have been more away wins in the Championship this season than ever before and the theory is that the loss of home advantage without your own fans is a very significant factor in that.

Big Nige saw almost straightaway what City have been lacking but he’s stuck with the current crop of players but one win or three more points will secure Championship football next season and should he stay a pre season under him with hopefully some additional players of his choice should prepare us well for the next campaign.

11 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Don’t believe that was why he was sacked, think LJ’s losses. I believe he was sacked because of total breakdown in relationship, hence SC not having full complement on bench.

You’re nearly right Ivor. There was a breakdown between SC and SL partly because SC didn’t use academy players on the bench, preferring to leave it short - that went down like a lead balloon. 

Essentially SL lost faith in SC to stick to the strategy of developing young players. There were other reasons of course but I can’t be arsed to repeat them again and again on here.

Frankly, from the current set up, in its entitreity, I’m left with Pearson, Kalas and Bentley, Vyner as a possible, oh and Scotty. Might be an odd one or two from the ‘always tomorrow’ Academy worth keeping.

Just shows what 5 years of rank bad management can do to a Club. 

Pearson has sussed in a month what a few on here having being saying for several years. 

Archived