IGNORED

Nigel Pearson

Desso

11 minutes ago, markcarter said:

In his press interview with Bristol Live, Pearson has said he’ll need 6 to 8 transfer windows to make us Premier League ready (I recall Johnson said 3 to 5) and that anyone who thinks there will be major incomings costing lots in the summer is going to be very disappointed.

So a massive deluge of cold water poured on the immediate hopes of those expecting an exciting summer and a challenge next season.

Was it 6 to 8 or 4 to 6, big difference?

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

Because he has a track record, experience and contacts and also because going down the Fewers route of new manager every dozen games is proven not to work and will leave the club in an unsustainable position pretty quickly.

I don't think SL has demonstrated anything other than a long term resolve with his Managers until this season.

What is increasingly concerning for me is purely down to the fact that if you have a really good Manager- they will get the best out of a poor squad. I don't think Pearson has been convincing in that respect so far. The players aren't terrible and many on here say it's about their attitude. Surely that's something a good Manager can resolve?

I'd like to see a few more games before he's handed the the role full time.

13 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I don't think SL has demonstrated anything other than a long term resolve with his Managers until this season.

What is increasingly concerning for me is purely down to the fact that if you have a really good Manager- they will get the best out of a poor squad. I don't think Pearson has been convincing in that respect so far. The players aren't terrible and many on here say it's about their attitude. Surely that's something a good Manager can resolve?

I'd like to see a few more games before he's handed the the role full time.

If players are playing not to get injured and secure contracts at other clubs there’s not much that can be done to resolve that.

38 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

I’d expect 8/10 head coaches/managers to oversee similar increases if they’re told their aim has changed over time from preventing relegation to reaching the play offs

Or walk

....and would you have expected achievement on that spend?

24 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I also feared for our championship status then too. But I thought Cotts had lost the plot and the team looked lost. Would have been very surprised if he'd managed to turn it around. He didn't seem to know how to get us to be solid and hard to score against, even though he had good defenders and defensive midfielders. He could not adapt to the championship.

We looked lost, because he’d given up.  Cotts was a capable manager at Champ level, he’d proved it at Burnley, and unfortunately was at Forest and Portsmouth in their basket case days.  We saw what he could do in a few weeks at Birmingham (under Redknapp).  To say he could not adapt is wrong imho, it’s not to do with his managerial ability.

I blame him for giving up, but I understand why.

He should’ve walked in that summer (hindsight).  

8 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

If players are playing not to get injured and secure contracts at other clubs there’s not much that can be done to resolve that.

Apart from now start leaving them out.  The dangling carrot has hopefully been withdrawn.  I’m looking forward to Monday’s team selection.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

....and would you have expected achievement on that spend?

Depends what you count as achievement, for a club still with a bottom half/mid table wage spend. Outgoing spend being partially funded by income from player sales

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Apart from now start leaving them out.  The dangling carrot has hopefully been withdrawn.  I’m looking forward to Monday’s team selection.

Likewise I’m hoping there will be some significant indications of intent. Stay or go, no sitting on the fence and no more passengers on Nigel’s bus.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Nige pretty much said that post match  along the lines of not sticking with players who’ve had chances and that he’s not afraid to make changes with youngsters waiting to step up.

Mondays starting 11 will definitely be interesting...........:cool2:

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

To not take the Maguire / Gray debacle into the equation when judging Cotts time here is a bit unfair imho.

The only flaw with this is we don't know that it happened. It's essentially only a rumour. I believe it's true, but we don't and never will know the full story. Really unfortunate because assuming it is true and he was able to bring in the players identified you can see how strong the team would've been by how those players have developed. 

50 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I also feared for our championship status then too. But I thought Cotts had lost the plot and the team looked lost. Would have been very surprised if he'd managed to turn it around. He didn't seem to know how to get us to be solid and hard to score against, even though he had good defenders and defensive midfielders. He could not adapt to the championship.

Not so, I'm sure you are aware that Cotterill had already proved to be a capable Championship manager, at one stage being the longest serving manager in that league at Burnley.

The City players were still playing for him, a fantastic team spirit, and imo. we'd have been OK.

You talk as if we were cut adrift at the bottom when Cotts was unceremoniously booted out - far from it, we were 3rd from bottom, and several clubs above us could have been overtaken with 1 win.

Eminently retrievable situation for an experienced relegation fighter like Cotterill, especially with the 6 player boost to the squad LJ immediately received.  

10 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Likewise I’m hoping there will be some significant indications of intent. Stay or go, no sitting on the fence and no more passengers on Nigel’s bus.

Absolutely. He's been as diplomatic as you might expect any new Manager to be with regards to the club as a whole. (Contrast this with the approach taken north of the river). 

Its now quite clear to me that NP's view of how close we might be to having a squad good enough to meet our expectations, differs considerably from "that little extra push". I expect him to tear up more than a few trees, which may well upset players, staff and indeed supporters. So be it. 

5 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Not so, I'm sure you are aware that Cotterill had already proved to be a capable Championship manager, at one stage being the longest serving manager in that league at Burnley.

The City players were still playing for him, a fantastic team spirit, and imo. we'd have been OK.

You talk as if we were cut adrift at the bottom when Cotts was unceremoniously booted out - far from it, we were 3rd from bottom, and several clubs above us could have been overtaken with 1 win.

Eminently retrievable situation for an experienced relegation fighter like Cotterill, especially with the 6 player boost to the squad LJ immediately received.  

Is true and we’d have stayed up with him if we had brought in the same players on loan. We must have shelled out loads to improve that squad to stay up. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Cotts said at the Amphitheater that with the right players brought in the side could spring a surprise.

Yep, I spoke to Cotts that day as well.

We had a talented young team with a great spirit and and he was confident with the right additions we could shake up the Championship and seriously have a go at back to back promotions.

Those additions were already lined up.

The fact such a successful manager - popular with players and fans alike - was not backed by the club to continue the momentum gained by a glorious promotion is probably the biggest let down in all my years supporting the club.

That was our moment and the club cocked it right up afaic.

1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

Depends what you count as achievement, for a club still with a bottom half/mid table wage spend. Outgoing spend being partially funded by income from player sales

That’s the problem, you’re just equating achievement to league position (which is what LJ / MA hoped we’d all look rather than mask what was truly happening). It’s why for two years (now three) I’ve followed the trend of the finances and the gradually decline in the quality and performance of the squad vs the outlay.  At some point results were gonna drop to match performance levels.  They did just that Feb / March last season, and bar a brief period under Holden that slide has continued.

We are now where we are.

Do you genuinely think that if you just follow league position trend, what looked like an upward one...we should be looking at a complete rebuild of the squad against a £60m cost-base?  That is a damming conclusion of 4/5 seasons “progress”!!!

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

Maybe so- if he is as good as some think then you might expect the players to respond by wanting to stay and play for him/earn a new contract.

It seems that just about everyone is at fault from the Lansdowns, the board, Mark Ashton, Lee Johnson, Dean Holden and now the entire first team bar one or two whilst NP is almost beyond reproach despite a fairly innocuous performance so far. But its very early days which is why I'd still give it until the end of the season before confirming what is likely to be a very expensive long contract with all that follows.

18 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I am trying to attack the post and not the poster.. but this is such a stupid and vapid comment. Pearson has inherited a very poor and weak squad. Holden had a transfer window remember. 

There's plenty of quality in that squad. No one was complaining about the personnel in the team when we were comfortably beating Boro and Birmingham

47 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Maybe so- if he is as good as some think then you might expect the players to respond by wanting to stay and play for him/earn a new contract.

It seems that just about everyone is at fault from the Lansdowns, the board, Mark Ashton, Lee Johnson, Dean Holden and now the entire first team bar one or two whilst NP is almost beyond reproach despite a fairly innocuous performance so far. But its very early days which is why I'd still give it until the end of the season before confirming what is likely to be a very expensive long contract with all that follows.

End of the season is fine whether it’s Pearson (I would sign him up all day long personally) or A N Other. Leave it much longer faffing around like we did last pre-season and we will get relegated next season due to the time we will lose on recruitment........100% cast iron certainty with the squad we have in my view.

8 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

There's plenty of quality in that squad. No one was complaining about the personnel in the team when we were comfortably beating Boro and Birmingham

How can a squad that can only play on the counter attack have plenty of quality?

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, agreed. I think NP was hoping the players he picked would have got us to the 52 point mark by now. However, looking at the fixtures it would take a crazy set of results for us to be in any kind of trouble now, even if we lost all 7 games, so it probably is time to bomb a few out. He might wait a couple more games though until we do get over that 50 point barrier.

1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Why would they do that, when they don't know whether he's going to be here or not?

20 hours ago, GTFABM said:

The thing with the “squad is poor” argument is people were saying earlier in the season this squad should be top 6 when things were going badly. Now all of a sudden it’s a poor squad. I’m not saying holden is better than pearson. All i am saying is were people not expecting more? I know i was.

It's never been a strong squad. Maybe good on paper. but not strong in character nor creativity.

A classic example is Patterson. My brother always says he's "great on his day". Problem is, his days are months apart. We have too many players like this. When they all hit their days together, we create a mirage of a team capable of promotion. And then it falls apart...

We've not had a midfield since 1932. Our last top quality striker was Andy Cole. Webster was never replaced.

My hope is that Pearson gets a 3 year deal. And then we change the model to DoF and he takes his thinking onward with a younger person to take the playing side of things forward.

The club has talked of identity for years. The only identity I can see is one of weakness. In playing staff. In the support staff. And in the medical team.

If we truly want an identity, lets get someone who actually knows what it is, recruits to it and sets it up for the next ten years.

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

That’s the problem, you’re just equating achievement to league position (which is what LJ / MA hoped we’d all look rather than mask what was truly happening). It’s why for two years (now three) I’ve followed the trend of the finances and the gradually decline in the quality and performance of the squad vs the outlay.  At some point results were gonna drop to match performance levels.  They did just that Feb / March last season, and bar a brief period under Holden that slide has continued.

We are now where we are.

Do you genuinely think that if you just follow league position trend, what looked like an upward one...we should be looking at a complete rebuild of the squad against a £60m cost-base?  That is a damming conclusion of 4/5 seasons “progress”!!!

I wasn't intending to equate achievement to just league position, one thing for example would have been home performances needing to improve as most on here would agree. I referenced where we were in the spending table (so to say) just to reference even with the increasing costs we were still small to medium sized fish for the division, obviously bigger wages doesn't always mean better league position as you look at Brentford, Barnsley and PL clubs who do double relegations or just avoid.

I don't think Pearson will be looking at a complete rebuild, I think he's already said he prefers to work with smaller squads so we'd have excess baggage in that case so departures are likely to far exceed incomings and I think he'll look to recruit quality in perhaps 3 or 4 places rather than 6, 7, 8 transfers of lower quality as that defeats the purpose of trying to reduce squad size.

I'm interested as to what type of player he'll look to recruit having highlighted Massengo, previously the likes of Kante and Vardy signed for him, people say busy bees as a criticism of players LJ signed but I can see us recruiting athletic players who can play a high tempo style. 

3 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

I wasn't intending to equate achievement to just league position, one thing for example would have been home performances needing to improve as most on here would agree. I referenced where we were in the spending table (so to say) just to reference even with the increasing costs we were still small to medium sized fish for the division, obviously bigger wages doesn't always mean better league position as you look at Brentford, Barnsley and PL clubs who do double relegations or just avoid.

I don't think Pearson will be looking at a complete rebuild, I think he's already said he prefers to work with smaller squads so we'd have excess baggage in that case so departures are likely to far exceed incomings and I think he'll look to recruit quality in perhaps 3 or 4 places rather than 6, 7, 8 transfers of lower quality as that defeats the purpose of trying to reduce squad size.

I'm interested as to what type of player he'll look to recruit having highlighted Massengo, previously the likes of Kante and Vardy signed for him, people say busy bees as a criticism of players LJ signed but I can see us recruiting athletic players who can play a high tempo style. 

The stick he got over Busy Bees was not a criticism of the type of player. People had just about had enough of playing Bullshit Bingo by that point!!

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

The stick he got over Busy Bees was not a criticism of the type of player. People had just about had enough of playing Bullshit Bingo by that point!!

Very much remember criticism from people saying he'd signed players who all they did was run around

Think it’s quite telling that Korey was the last player we had of the Cotts era in the squad.

In his absence, we’re a team totally absent of identity, heart and desire. A squad full to overflowing of mentally and physically weak players.

Thanks Ashton and LJ you’ve stitched us up good and proper. You’ve had a shocker lads. 

42 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Think it’s quite telling that Korey was the last player we had of the Cotts era in the squad.

In his absence, we’re a team totally absent of identity, heart and desire. A squad full to overflowing of mentally and physically weak players.

Thanks Ashton and LJ you’ve stitched us up good and proper. You’ve had a shocker lads. 

The churn of an entire squad from 6 years ago isn't abnormal really. Pretty standard. We'd be an outlier if even 2 of them were still about today. 

5 hours ago, RedRock said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

5 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

The churn of an entire squad from 6 years ago isn't abnormal really. Pretty standard. We'd be an outlier if even 2 of them were still about today. 

That is true, but shows we’ve recruited DNA that is little match for the DNA of players that left.

Archived