IGNORED

Nigel Pearson

Desso

2 hours ago, bris red said:

Pearson knows the crack, this is a team full of journeyman wasters and I doubt he would have signed even half of them.

Don’t get me wrong I’m sure he backed himself to probably get a little more out of them than he has and is probably disappointed in that respect but he knows the situation, a huge amount of this dross is OOC in the summer and the stage is set perfectly for him to ship out all of the deadwood and really shape the squad full of his players and probably coaching staff aswell. Im confident given the resources in the summer he will turn things around.

Yes great comment on coaching staff they have added nothing lets hope he dumps them for a start .

24 minutes ago, Robbored said:

SC lacked any real ‘presence’ whereas when Big Nige oozes plenty. I’d rather have NP beside me in the trenches than SC.

Steve Cotterill created an incredible team spirit with a fairly small group of players. He should have been backed in the summer following promotion to The Champ and he made a huge statement when he only named 6 subs at Sheff Weds on the first game of the season.

I grew up in in Cheltenham and what he achieved at Whaddon Road was nothing short of a miracle. 

Believe me, Steve Cotterill has a big presence in the dressing room and all of that L1 promotion winning team speak highly of him. Team spirit and togetherness goes a long way towards success and SC created a fantastic culture that we should have built on.

I think Big Nige is a similar type of character to SC and i really hope he is backed in the summer otherwise we could be having similar conversations in 12 months time.

25 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

My prediction is we will be troubling the bottom 6 rather than the top 6 next season. This mess will take a few seasons to correct. What gets my goat is how Ashton was allowed to sell the top players without any plan B to replace. Don’t expect miracles next season. Ashton the snake has to go as this is his mess.

Bryan - Kelly in squad and Dasilva on loan

Kelly - Dasilva in permanently

Flint - Webster

Webster - Kalas in permanently

Brownhill - Henriksen on loan, whether not good enough or used incorrectly he was replaced on short notice and more than likely would have been replaced with a permanent transfer in the summer, we'd been after Williams before can easily think we'd have gone for him again with LJ still here

35 minutes ago, Superjack said:

I'd like to see you say that to Cotterill's face.

I met SC several times, decent enough guy, warm and friendly enough but no presence whatsoever.

Not yet met Big Nige - don’t need to to see that he has great presence.

3 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

Steve Cotterill created an incredible team spirit with a fairly small group of players. He should have been backed in the summer following promotion to The Champ and he made a huge statement when he only named 6 subs at Sheff Weds on the first game of the season.

I grew up in in Cheltenham and what he achieved at Whaddon Road was nothing short of a miracle. 

Believe me, Steve Cotterill has a big presence in the dressing room and all of that L1 promotion winning team speak highly of him. Team spirit and togetherness goes a long way towards success and SC created a fantastic culture that we should have built on.

I think Big Nige is a similar type of character to SC and i really hope he is backed in the summer otherwise we could be having similar conversations in 12 months time.

Brilliant post mate totally agree with everything your saying i loved the bloke gave us some of the best football and memories that will live forever in my life he should have bern backed but lansdown wasnt ready to spend on players  then and so gave johnson the money of which he bought to many players of the same likr .

1 hour ago, Rossi the Robin said:

I like how he criticises positively without throwing anyone under the bus - it’s a clever skill only the best man managers can do 

Count the number of times he says the word 'we.' It's telling and the sign of a leader.

43 minutes ago, Robbored said:

SC lacked any real ‘presence’ whereas when Big Nige oozes plenty. I’d rather have NP beside me in the trenches than SC.

Big difference between comparing NP to SC though, you said you never rated SC so its not comparing the two. You're comparing a former premier league manager who started assembling a premier league winning squad vs a manager whose best season was in league one. Difference is we were a league one club when Cotts joined us and a struggling one, he showed with us and is showing with Shrewsbury he's a great league one manager. You're saying you never rated him with us after he turned us away from relegation, won the JPT trophy and won league one with 99 points? 

8 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

Believe what you like about SC Edgy. 

Ive never I stood why so many posters still have these SC  ‘love-ins’

The guy just never impressed me despite him getting us out of L1.

1 minute ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Brilliant post mate totally agree with everything your saying i loved the bloke gave us some of the best football and memories that will live forever in my life he should have bern backed but lansdown wasnt ready to spend on players  then and so gave johnson the money of which he bought to many players of the same like 

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I heard he speaks really highly of you...

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

I'm probably biased towards Steve Cotterill as i met him a couple of times during football trophy presentations when i lived in Cheltenham and his passion for the game is infectious.

His managerial record (granted in L1 and below) is very good and he is one of those managers that creates an "us against them" mentality in a similar way to Neil Warnock.

Who knows how it would have progressed had he been backed, but it still grates me when i see the finances and time Lee Johnson was given, and i'm non anti Lee Johnson either. I just want to see the best for my club 

This has the feel of Gary Johnson’s first few games. 

Poor performances and results but slowly getting a handle on a squad that had clearly been living on easy street (in one way or another) during the previous long term manager (Wilson/Lee Johnson) and the following internal appointment (Tinnion/Holden). 

Clearly I am hopeful that he achieves something similar at a level above.

Given a rebuild is required here are our current senior players (excluding academy players and those whose loans expire at the end of the season) .

If you were NP faced with these two lists who would you look to (1) keep (2) get rid of?

Out of Contract

1. Hunt

2. Adelakun

3. Rowe

4. Baker

5. Watkins

6. Lansbury (is he on loan?)

7. Diedhiou

8. Mariappa

9. Walsh

10. Paterson

11. Weimann

12. Wollacott

13. Simpson

1. Bentley

2. O’Leary

3. Dasilva

4. Nagy

5. Martin

6. O'Dowda

7. Wells

8. Massengo

9. Palmer

10. Vyner

11. Bakinson

12. Seymeno

13. Williams

14. Kalas

15. Pring

16. Moore

2 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Whatever people's opinions of Cotterill, surely even those who don't like the bloke would agree that he's got a presence about him?

Yes. Unless they were trying to be deliberately obtuse, of course... ?

SC’s success was gained against a background of lack of backing and freedom to manage once he obtained promotion a season early.  If the owner had dealt properly with the situation on promotion who knows how far SC could have taken us.

This is why I am fearful that the past may be repeated with the owner and Pearson

12 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Given a rebuild is required here are our current senior players (excluding academy players and those whose loans expire at the end of the season) .

If you were NP faced with these two lists who would you look to (1) keep (2) get rid of?

Out of Contract

1. Hunt

2. Adelakun

3. Rowe

4. Baker

5. Watkins

6. Lansbury (is he on loan?)

7. Diedhiou

8. Mariappa

9. Walsh

10. Paterson

11. Weimann

12. Wollacott

13. Simpson

1. Bentley

2. O’Leary

3. Dasilva

4. Nagy

5. Martin

6. O'Dowda

7. Wells

8. Massengo

9. Palmer

10. Vyner

11. Bakinson

12. Seymeno

13. Williams

14. Kalas

15. Pring

16. Moore

I'm getting to the stage now where i think i would release all of the out of contract players. It could be that a number of them have alternative options lined up anyway!

We need to recruit 4 or 5 quality Champ proven players who have to be part of the starting 11. That doesn't necessarily mean spending millions in transfer fees but wages will have to be paid.

We have a number of talented youngsters who can supplement the squad.

Archived