IGNORED

3 Peaps In A PodCast Steve Lansdown

Wivs7

35 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

This is the end ....

There is no doubt in my mind that this will sooner or later lead to unprecedented disaster and unmitigated ruin (without the glorious spell at the top level and FA cup final triumph and subsequent European odyssey), and that we will before too long be pine-ing wistfully for the steady, safe and local stewardship of Uncle Steve (as some dodgy, overseas money takes us back to liquidation and relegation and dire Bristol derbies and days of Gillingham and Walsall and yore ..... )

So, we must make the most of what we have now. This just will not go well.

I've been mulling this over and I think it's a good approach.  In contrast I would be disappointed with the club being put up for an outright sale as that then puts us at the mercy of the dodgiest foreign money men.

However if you bring in, as the label says, new investors then over time one of them will be judged to be a safe pair of hands and the ownership will then be sold to them.

Scott Davidson handed over to the Lansdowns on this basis and it went smoothly and to the benefit of the club (my opinion).

At Plymouth James Brent first brought in US-based Brit Simon Hallett as a part-owner and then sold to him.

It's an intelligent way to make a transition if your primary interest is in seeing the club continue to progress rather than in selling to the highest bidder no matter how dodgy they may be.

I have no doubt that it will be handled well after the Lansdowns made good last year on their long term promise of refunding any money that fans had put in at cost, and that was a four figure sum that I hadn't expected to see again, which was far more than the shares were actually worth.  If they were money-grabbing then they simply would not have made that offer in the first place,

Talks have been ongoing for at least two years with at least two parties. One American, one Chinese. 

I posted about the American consortium a couple of months ago in the Ipswich takeover/Ashton post. 

Good to see SL finally come clean. Hopefully it'll help drum up some more interest and something will happen sooner rather than later. 

Potentially exciting times because, with respect, I think Steve has probably taken the club as far as he can. 

35 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

This is the end ....

There is no doubt in my mind that this will sooner or later lead to unprecedented disaster and unmitigated ruin (without the glorious spell at the top level and FA cup final triumph and subsequent European odyssey), and that we will before too long be pine-ing wistfully for the steady, safe and local stewardship of Uncle Steve (as some dodgy, overseas money takes us back to liquidation and relegation and dire Bristol derbies and days of Gillingham and Walsall and yore ..... )

Can’t see it as negatively as you do tbh. Steve Lansdown has often talked about leaving a legacy and selling both us and the RFC to dirty money ending in financial ruin is not much of a legacy to be remembered by. To guarantee that new investors mean liquidation and disaster and that “this is the end” is a pretty big jump to make.

I am convinced that both Covid and the proposed closed shop European Super League (dress it up any way you like but that’s where it’s going) will leave the rest of the clubs finally accepting that financial sustainability is the only option and will make clubs more attractive to investors in the long run.

Lansdown's mega money investment has resulted in fantastic facilities, undeniable, but on the pitch his main achievement is to turn us into a club that spends more time in the middle of the Championship than League 1. Slightly better than our general history but not massively. Again, with legacy in mind, I’m sure he will want one last crack at going one better without ruining his fortune.

I wouldn't mind a 10% share of the club going to another party, but Lansdown's obvious love for this club is unique in modern football, I think Hull City and Wigan are good showings of how an owner with no feeling of affiliation to a fanbase can result in, I think Mr Lansdown has to be very careful in his approach.

4 minutes ago, RedNachos said:

I wouldn't mind a 10% share of the club going to another party, but Lansdown's obvious love for this club is unique in modern football, I think Hull City and Wigan are good showings of how an owner with no feeling of affiliation to a fanbase can result in, I think Mr Lansdown has to be very careful in his approach.

I’m sure he will be more careful than some are currently giving him credit for.

34 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

If people don’t think any new investors wont have/ be reading the schlock on here then you would be mistaken. 

I wrote a short piece that got rolled into another thread and then-lost saying that the clubs non commitment to signings and news blackout, that everyone was complaining about a few months back was akin to a quiet period while negotiations were on going. All the signs were there then, so this does not shock me in anyway. However in a process such as this with big bucks floating around you will kiss  a fewfrogs!

There are one or two that come here that have been involved in million/multi million deals that probably wont be shocked either. 

I suppose it might also explain the non-committal approach to Nigel Pearson. 

2 hours ago, Desso said:

Steve Lansdown is saying that he is actively looking for new investors in Bristol Sport to prop up the finances and to take the club forward. He's obviously looking at when he retires (reading between the lines, Jon either doesn't want it or isn't considered up to it) so we may have a new board sooner than we thought. Anyone on here been approached? 

I'm sworn to silence.

Bristol Sport is more than just BCFC.

The amount of money needed for the hotel, arena, and investment into basketball, rugby, football as well as getting music venue viable and a hotel up and running is going to need a lot of cash.

So I am not surprised he is looking for others to buy into the Bristol Sport model. A board of wealthy people, investing and making things happen in South Bristol can only be good for us.

• Admin
2 hours ago, Desso said:

Steve Lansdown is saying that he is actively looking for new investors in Bristol Sport to prop up the finances and to take the club forward. He's obviously looking at when he retires (reading between the lines, Jon either doesn't want it or isn't considered up to it) so we may have a new board sooner than we thought. Anyone on here been approached? 

The cat is finally out of the bag, if it wasn't for covid the talks would probably have been sorted by now 

1 minute ago, Fiale said:

Bristol Sport is more than just BCFC.

The amount of money needed for the hotel, arena, and investment into basketball, rugby, football as well as getting music venue viable and a hotel up and running is going to need a lot of cash.

So I am not surprised he is looking for others to buy into the Bristol Sport model. A board of wealthy people, investing and making things happen in South Bristol can only be good for us.

Expect the new housing project and Bristol sport to be a big reason for new investment 

2 hours ago, eric04 said:

I’m not sure it’s that he doesn’t trust Jon, but more than Jon doesn’t own enough shares in a business of his own that is making any money. 

I might be being thick, but I don’t understand this point.

1 hour ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

This is the end ....

Blige, that's  a bit apocalyptic. Not having a good day? It could be worse - you could be creosoting my decking! 

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Blige, that's  a bit apocalyptic. Not having a good day? 

Fair to middling, to be fair. Got to the shop early doors and returned to breakfast with the paper (always a good start), then knocked up a chocolate sponge before inishing the Simnel cake with home-made marzipan topping (including eleven marzipan balls denoting the disciples what didn't throw Jesus under the bus; Judas can do one). Got the washing up done, then had a cuppa and hot cross bun watching Ray White cooking a ratatouille on itv. Followed by lunch watching Wasps losing to Clermont Auvergne in the 82nd minute. Also dead-headed some daffs and checked me alliums, then laid a fire for later. 

1 hour ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Fair to middling, to be fair. Got to the shop early doors and returned to breakfast with the paper (always a good start), then knocked up a chocolate sponge before inishing the Simnel cake with home-made marzipan topping (including eleven marzipan balls denoting the disciples what didn't throw Jesus under the bus; Judas can do one). Got the washing up done, then had a cuppa and hot cross bun watching Ray White cooking a ratatouille on itv. Followed by lunch watching Wasps losing to Clermont Auvergne in the 82nd minute. Also dead-headed some daffs and checked me alliums, then laid a fire for later. 

Decent.

I had to move the bird feeder to do the decking and got my first visitor - Blue Tit flew into the olive tree next door, onto the fence, onto the feeder. Hopefully he's off telling his mates as we speak. Marvellous. We've gone from tits on the pitch to Tits on the feeder.  

2 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

19 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Decent.

I had to move the bird feeder to do the decking and got my first visitor - Blue Tit flew into the olive tree next door, onto the fence, onto the feeder. Hopefully he's off telling his mates as we speak. Marvellous. We've gone from tits on the pitch to Tits on the feeder.  

No wonder those Bountyhunter editorial meetings were so completely unproductive, how far off topic have you two gone?

30 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

No wonder those Bountyhunter editorial meetings were so completely unproductive, how far off topic have you two gone?

You love it! ? But in an effort to get back on topic... 

5 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Talks have been ongoing for at least two years with at least two parties. One American, one Chinese

... we'll just leave this old one here. 

North Korea.jpg

6 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Talks have been ongoing for at least two years with at least two parties. One American, one Chinese. 

I posted about the American consortium a couple of months ago in the Ipswich takeover/Ashton post. 

Good to see SL finally come clean. Hopefully it'll help drum up some more interest and something will happen sooner rather than later. 

Potentially exciting times because, with respect, I think Steve has probably taken the club as far as he can. 

Sorry if it's been asked/said elsewhere and I've missed it, but could this be SL opening the door to selling the club? Bringing in potential owners as initial investors and then gradually transitioning into new ownership would be a sensible way to sell the club and safeguard it against any dodgy new owners. With the development of Ashton Gate and the surrounding area, the club is extremely attractive for outside investment, and if we can secure Premier League football then SL would have a very respectable legacy and be able to (gradually) leave on a high. I would assume (with absolutely no knowledge of the club's finances) that SL would get a decent return on his investment in the club whilst putting us in a good position to carry on progressing, providing any investors are capable and have the right intentions for the club.

Maybe I'm just putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5, but that plan seems to be a pretty sensible way for SL to move towards retirement whilst passing the club from one "safe" pair of hands to another (if he even wants to). That being said, the talk of Jon being his successor puts doubt on that theory, so I'm probably talking rubbish ?

2 hours ago, KegCity said:

Sorry if it's been asked/said elsewhere and I've missed it, but could this be SL opening the door to selling the club? Bringing in potential owners as initial investors and then gradually transitioning into new ownership would be a sensible way to sell the club and safeguard it against any dodgy new owners. With the development of Ashton Gate and the surrounding area, the club is extremely attractive for outside investment, and if we can secure Premier League football then SL would have a very respectable legacy and be able to (gradually) leave on a high. I would assume (with absolutely no knowledge of the club's finances) that SL would get a decent return on his investment in the club whilst putting us in a good position to carry on progressing, providing any investors are capable and have the right intentions for the club.

Maybe I'm just putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5, but that plan seems to be a pretty sensible way for SL to move towards retirement whilst passing the club from one "safe" pair of hands to another (if he even wants to). That being said, the talk of Jon being his successor puts doubt on that theory, so I'm probably talking rubbish ?

No, you're not talking rubbish. That is exactly the plan, apparently... 

2 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I`ve still got mine too - perhaps we could team up and block any hostile takeover bid that we`re not happy with.......................................................

Rouge Oxo consortium. We intend to buy the entirety of Bristol Sport. As long as it’s not more than 100 Quid and a bag of sherbet strawberries!

9 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

It's been fairly obvious with the noises that came out of the pre season in the states that the club were being advertised.

With the development of the sporting hub to include basketball still in flight, I would imagine that 'Bristol Sport' is a very attractive proposition.

I fully trust Steve to hand overs the reigns to the right investors and would have nothing but thanks for him for the stadium and establishing us as a Championship side.

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I might be being thick, but I don’t understand this point.

Steve has ploughed a lot of his “profits” from Hargreaves/Lansdown into Bristol City. Jon will inherit a lot of money, no doubt, but doesn’t have a money-making company of his own to keep ploughing further cash in. In essence he’ll instead be spending his inheritance on City. I’m not sure he wants to do that. 

12 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Gee, wonder how you found that out.

I have literally posted the exact same thing for the last 3 years on here multiple times.

You don't do work for LJ any more, so I guess the ITK stuff has gone, but you made up the garbage about Ashton backdooring SL with Ipswich, and now you are posting 3 yr old info as if it's a scoop.

Sunderland will come up next year, you can go back to meeting up with Lee again and then tell everyone all about it.

At least use your contacts in your work environ and keep us up to date with AV planning consent approvals. Especially commercial entities, as that will at least give us all some idea of how much SL is willing to let go.

I think we agree it will be pretty much everything, with proviso for access to BS, but no influence over ongoing business decisions.

2p

16 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Decent.

Advise you to keep your bird feeder under camouflage if possible.

Having got a new upright stand and relocated the bird feeders more centrally in the garden (instead of hanging within the high, mature, Pyracantha at the back) I thought we'd have a far better view of the the birds feeding.

Unfortunately not only us - yesterday witnessed a Sparrowhawk swoop in a blur to take a Sparrow away, and leave the bird feeder swinging with the sudden impact.

Feel quite guilty to have left them so exposed, feeders now returned to the more protective sanctuary of the Pyracantha.

Archived