IGNORED

Walsh

Rocking Red Cyril

1 minute ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Did I miss something with international call, injury, or rested. 

But why was Walsh not in the squad? 

I was wondering this as he's not even been mentioned, can't be international as he's English isn't he?

1 minute ago, Loosey Boy said:

NP confirmed ongoing issue with his hamstring.....

Ok thanks

44 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

I presume this is unconnected to the long term injury as that was a quad....or are they  connected (not literally) Any sports injuries people here?

Well as the the quad is the opposite to the hamstring maybe there a link. 

But I no idea as not a sports I injury  person, only had a few during my village football career 

2 hours ago, Murraysrightplum said:

Sammy sicknote 

Apparently the answer to our midfield issues..

Presumably that is on the basis we are going to play 5 games in a season?

His availability record with us is terrible, I personally would let his contract run down, though I doubt that we will, but we need to be very sure we will get far better numbers of games from him in future before entertaining a new deal.

2 hours ago, Murraysrightplum said:

Sammy sicknote 

Talking of Sammy its a shame we got rid of Sammie Szmodics he's been banging them in for Peterborough (yes i know in Div1) 12 goals and 5 assists, another never given a chance here

24 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Apparently the answer to our midfield issues..

Presumably that is on the basis we are going to play 5 games in a season?

His availability record with us is terrible, I personally would let his contract run down, though I doubt that we will, but we need to be very sure we will get far better numbers of games from him in future before entertaining a new deal.

Didn't he play nearly all games last season? Along with Williams at Wigan. Perhaps we are the problem.....

3 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

I presume this is unconnected to the long term injury as that was a quad....or are they  connected (not literally) Any sports injuries people here?

He did his quad in July.  On rehab from that he did his hamstring.....got fit to play one game, but obviously suffered a reaction (how big I don’t know).

A couple of months ago I pondered whether our muscle injuries might have damaged the players ability to detect fatigue of the muscle.  E.g. you sense when your hammer is tightening, and if you’re sensible you stop what you’re doing and let it recover.  But what if you lose that feeling?  What if the training regime has caused that loss of feeling?

Williams

Walsh

O’Dowda

I recall the long term effects of cortisone injections.  Could we be seeing something akin to that?

3 hours ago, Murraysrightplum said:

Sammy sicknote 

He wasn't last season though was he?

I'm inclined to think he's  been unlucky and/or his injury has been treated incompetently by our medical team. 

His all round technical skills are a level above most of our other midfielders which is why I'd  give him a bit longer than several others to come good. 

28 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

He wasn't last season though was he?

I'm inclined to think he's  been unlucky and/or his injury has been treated incompetently by our medical team. 

His all round technical skills are a level above most of our other midfielders which is why I'd  give him a bit longer than several others to come good. 

I’m sure a lot of our squad would look good in league 1. Not seen him do anything in the championship, let alone show he’s capable of being in a promotion chasing team, which is what we’re supposed to be. 

To be clear I’m not saying he isn’t a good player but if you’re always injured and your contract is expiring I don’t think you can expect it to be renewed 

1 hour ago, BCFC Grim said:

Didn't he play nearly all games last season? Along with Williams at Wigan. Perhaps we are the problem.....

In 18/19 he started at Ipswich because Brownhill was suspended, lasted 50 minutes & was then out for 5 months.

Maybe last season was the outlier?

1 hour ago, westonred said:

Talking of Sammy its a shame we got rid of Sammie Szmodics he's been banging them in for Peterborough (yes i know in Div1) 12 goals and 5 assists, another never given a chance here

That's because his at his correct level, he would never manage that in the championship , no shame in being a good league 1 player and am sure he will have a good career at that level, 

1 minute ago, winsaw said:

That's because his at his correct level, he would never manage that in the championship , no shame in being a good league 1 player and am sure he will have a good career at that level, 

Didn't we sign him from a League 2 side? So 12 or 18 months at League One level was probably good for his development and there is every chance he will make the step up to the Championship.

Andy Rolls has a track record of presiding over injury crises at West Ham, Arsenal and now us — for two seasons, don’t forget. That’s not a coincidence, IMO. 

The medical team — along with recruitment, coaching and players — needs a complete overhaul. 

5 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Didn't we sign him from a League 2 side? So 12 or 18 months at League One level was probably good for his development and there is every chance he will make the step up to the Championship.

I've always thought that if Szmodics had signed for Brentford, he'd be a successful Championship player by now. Just seems their sort of player. 

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

He did his quad in July.  On rehab from that he did his hamstring.....got fit to play one game, but obviously suffered a reaction (how big I don’t know).

A couple of months ago I pondered whether our muscle injuries might have damaged the players ability to detect fatigue of the muscle.  E.g. you sense when your hammer is tightening, and if you’re sensible you stop what you’re doing and let it recover.  But what if you lose that feeling?  What if the training regime has caused that loss of feeling?

Williams

Walsh

O’Dowda

I recall the long term effects of cortisone injections.  Could we be seeing something akin to that?

So... my working theory on these hamstring injuries is that incorrect deadlifts, or too many deadlifts, in the gym is weakening them or overworking them to the point that they then twinge when put under explosive strain in a game. Deadlifts strengthen and target the hammys, and are a great full body exercise for any athlete (or normo to practise). I understand they are also part of rehab from a hamstring injury. However, I also know, from personal experience, that if you get them wrong, go too heavy, or do too many, then it's an ideal way to set yourself up for a strained hamstring, or for a set back in your recovery.

It is merely a theory, one based on no evidence beyond seeing players post many deadlift videos on Instagram, and my own experience of having to really work on deadlift form to avoid tight hamstrings. 

I'd more than welcome any PT or gym users' thoughts on this, as a theory.

Just now, ExiledAjax said:

So... my working theory on these hamstring injuries is that incorrect deadlifts, or too many deadlifts, in the gym is weakening them or overworking them to the point that they then twinge when put under explosive strain in a game. Deadlifts  strengthen and target the hammys, and are a great full body exercise for any athlete (or normo to practise) but if you get them wrong, go too heavy, or do too many, then it's an ideal way to set yourself up for a strained hamstring.

It is merely a theory, one based on no evidence beyond seeing players post many deadlift videos on Instagram, and my own experience of having to really work on deadlift form to avoid tight hamstrings. 

I'd more than welcome any PT or gym users' thoughts on this, as a theory.

Aren't you supposed to strengthen the glutes to avoid hamstring injury?

Just now, mozo said:

Aren't you supposed to strengthen the glutes to avoid hamstring injury?

Possibly. Look, I'm no physio, and am aware I've taken us into the realms of "gym bro science". I just know from when I cycled alot (cycling strengthens the whole leg, but tightens the hamstrings) and then ran - I had issues.

Ultimately for football, a fast paced game where you're constantly changing speed and direction (unless you play like me!) you'd be needing the full suite of glutes, quads, hammys, flexors, etc.

Archived